New Lyric: "Little Tin Gods"

• 2 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« on: July 28, 2020, 07:49:32 PM »
This is not about an individual.  It is a lyric about frightened, unhappy, controlling, hateful, insecure, self-absorbed, braggarts and liars. I'm aware that many people's minds will go to one individual, and assume it's about him/her.  It is not.  At least it is not just about him/her. 

If your mind goes to this individual, then YOU must believe that he/she clicks all these boxes, but that's on you, not me.  I'm not saying I didn't have this person in my mind as I wrote this, but he/she was in my mind as a representative of a rather large group of angry, fearful, insecure, self-absorbed people I've known all my life, not as a 'sole source' of inspiration.

LITTLE TIN GODS

VERSE 1. 
How can you live with all that hatred?   --   How do you survive through all that fear? 
How can you stand being part of the problem?   –  And how dare you spread that poison here. 
How do you justify the violence?    –   How can you justify the pain? 
From the damage you do to yourself and to others –   What could you think you have to gain?

Pre-CHORUS
You boast that you’re the all time greatest.   –   That you are the ultimate superstar. 
But all the bragging is just a symptom,     –  Of just how small you‘re afraid you are.

CHORUS: 
You wrap yourself in the flag and the bible.     –   Claim they direct your every move. 
But if you would really read that Bible      –    You’d realize that can’t be true.
And all your fearful bragging and lying   –  can never really set you free. 
You’ll never convince yourself you’re becoming,   –   The little Tin Gods you always wanted to be.

Verse 2. 
It gets so pathetic, sad, and lonely.      –    When the only thing you care about is you. 
Thinly disguised self hate and self loathing.     –   Your desperation keeps showing through.
How can you live with all your lying?     –    Staying blind to all you’re afraid to see. 
You desperately hope that you’re becoming,   –   The little Tin Gods you always wanted to be. 

Pre-CHORUS
You boast that you’re the all time greatest.   –   That you are the ultimate superstar. 
But all the bragging is just a symptom,     –  Of just how small you‘re afraid you are.

CHORUS:   
And if you really thought God was watching.    –   You wouldn’t ever do the things you do. 
If you really thought God was watching,   –   You could never dare do the things you do.
And all your fearful bragging and lying   –  can never really set you free. 
You’ll never convince yourself you’re becoming,   –   The little Tin Gods you always wanted to be.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:20:19 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:31 PM »
Very interesting! A lot of words but I don't think I would cut out very many of them. The title immediately made me think of "One Tin Soldier" so, the whole time I was reading through the lyric, I kept hearing "One Tin Soldier" type of music in my head. That's all I have...

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:23:05 AM »
I'd have never noticed, but it's fascinating how well the "One Tin Soldier" music fits the cadence of the verses.  I wrote  the verses to the cadence from a short musical refrain in an Elton John song, so I can't use that.  The options that open up from a side trip into "One Tin Soldier" music are extremely helpful and inspiring.  Gives me a lot of useful directions to go.  If anyone else sees music that this would fit to, please point it out.

Thank you Vicki.  Your input is always useful. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.