konalavadome

How do you control your DAW?

• 20 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: July 16, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »
Over the years I've used various ways of mixing, from big desks in studios, digital recorders, to DAWs.

So now I have a very small simple setup, I was wondering how you manage to move about inside you DAW.

For me I was inspired to look at MIDI surface controllers since @Boydie bought an 8 track Faderport (I think?) some while ago.  I looked into these and bought a really old Frontier Alphatrak single channel controller (£28 on the Bay), and this is really useful to manage some of the transport and common functions from it.

I also recently bought a kensington expert trackball mouse, which helps reduce discomfort in my wrist, it also is super quick in flying about the screen with minimal movement.

But I still (rarely) use the regular mouse and keyboard too, so between them I'm happy as Larry, it feels so organised, each has it's own boundary of functionality.

I was considering a FaderFox EC4 to control my plugins, but I think this is really not necessary, as plugins aren't that much effort, a twiddle with threshold here, a wiggle of a cutoff filter there...nah, I can manage that...

I'd be interested to hear how you do it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:25:41 PM by cowparsleyman »

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
I have a 27" touch screen on the desk (at an angle) with some home brewed SW, basically a zillion "soft" buttons sending midi.
Every time I do something with the mouse, keyboard, menu(s) etc I look for a way to trigger it via midi through the generic remote section and if so I add a button for it.
The collection is growing....
I initially intended to use the touch screen to run Cubase a bit like a Slate Raven but Cubase is not very touch friendly  :(

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
@Jambrains - very interesting Johann, never thought of that approach, might work very well, nice work on the Coding, just wondered if there is a voice activated piece of software that could respond to  'Cutoff', why not? it would mean you wouldn't be restricted to a 27" touchscreen, nor my Alphatrak...

I'll look into it...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 10:22:57 AM »
@cowparsleyman

I did go for the Faderport 8, which is great when working on big projects or long sessions

I still naturally reach for the “tried and rested” keyboard and mouse though

I like the look of the new single fader version of the fader port to perhaps bridge the gap but I am generally happy with keyboard and mouse

I LOVE what @Jambrains has done though - great job and would love to see some photos of the setup
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 08:04:19 AM »
I have a mouse that is shaped so you don't have to twist your wrist which means there is no strain, no matter how long you use it..I've looked at various other control devices but it just seemed like something extra to do, it's so easy flying around Cubase with a mouse :) and cheaper  8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

I had an old surface controler back in the day (Tascam 8 fader), but never really got on with them, Tried different mouses, micess, even bought the Komplete 64 key with the rotaries and Transport buttons.
After all that, I use an old wired mouse, Cheap as chips and lots of keyboard shortcuts. In the end its just way less faff, got my hands on the keyboard anyway.

I would love a FO great desk though but deep down know I do not need it. Even considered a slate Raven, similar to jambrains but they are pricey for not much gain.

Its not something which I strive, rather treat myself to a new guitar.

Interesting question tho CPM.
Cheers
Andy

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
@Cawproductions - This is good to know, that you tried stuff and found what suited you, funnily enough I was watching Tony Visconti the other day and he was only using a DAW, no Neve, no SSL...no desk at all

Years ago I was told by a Producer friend never to setup a full blown studio in my house (he was talking desk/monitors the full works) which made me laugh as I didn't and still don't have the means, the space, nor the inclination to spend vast sums of wallop on that. (He was the one that gave me my first mixing desk).

He said that I would get bored with it, and when technology changed I would be left with loads of gear that I'd blown lots of money on, that had no residual value. Well that maybe behind some of it, talking of which again makes me chuckle - how nostagila sells vintage gear - The Pultecs and Fairchild 670 going for silly money. Ahh they are rare and they were used on Madonna's hits, so it must be great, and I'm sure they are really wonderful.

What I like about DAW's is that the mix is retained, and snapshots of a mix can be taken.
I remember working on a song (with that producer) for 24hrs straight, and the owners of the Studio coming in to the control room, a bird on each arm, Harrods bags all over the show, and wiping the faders...it seemed like a game to him, I felt for the mixing engineer who'd worked so hard.

Anyway, I'm sticking with my setup now, and it feels gooooood.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 08:09:30 PM »
Hi CPM,

Yeh I watch a lot of mixing videos from different guys, true that a lot of the top engineers are going inside the box 100%, I would say due to the fact of a very efficient workflow and recall etc.

Sure the large format desks look cool, but do I ever record more than 4 inputs at once, No. When I first setup my home studio area, I had a 12 input and output rack, looked great, only really used 1 & 2.

I guess the proof is in what you produce with what gear you have. My current setup (focusrite Pro 24 dsp), high end PC (sadly my mac pro died), good listening space and a set of KRK rokit 8's. Not the most pro setup but you gotta learn ya gear and what it sounds like.

I am a sucker for vintage looking plugins tho, I hate the flat look stuff, Izotope, Kilohearts etc, they sound great but dont give me a good vibe.

There are no right and wrong here, find a setup which inspires you to create great tunes..

Interesting thread.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
@Cawproductions - I agree, you gotta learn your gear and how it translates to released songs once they've processed it for streaming, it took me quite a while to translate what I heard through my headphones to what I could rely on when the the product was finished, this was helped by listening in a few controlled environments, my car, 2 sets of earbuds and my monitors, when I was happy with all of these then I'd release it, but sometimes I'd err on the side of ibuds, as a I figured more folk would listen through them.

I also agree on the vintage looking plugins, the better ones do what they are supposed to do, and one can relate to what the knobs mean, I (like you) tried izotope but couldn't get on with it, although I rather like the IK Multimedia Tracks 5 (recently bought) EQual fabfilter-u-like plugin, it's very good and the whole standard package is surprisingly very capable (I was ready to be dissapointed for $39 on offer).

Summer is when I learn and practise, Winter is when I apply what I learned.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
Hi @cowparsleyman

I am torn at the mo between the Plugin alliance sub or continue with the slate, While I like the salte and the quality of their stuff is supposed to be pro level, they are very slow on updates and incremental addition. PA on the other hand seem to be adding lots of other devs in.

I am also wary of overloading my plugin collection (i Think we have all been here). i have seen recently that a few of slates bundle highly proclaimed top synths and efx have been offered quite cheaply when the deals are on...always get me thinking if subs are really the way to go or be patient and grab the deals as and when.

Who knows.....

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
@Cawproductions

What you have described is exactly why I personally don’t like the sub models for plugins

IMHO having a few plugin that you know inside out to achieve the sound in your head will give better results than having loads of plugins available to experiment with

Even though the basic controls are often “standard” learning the idiosyncrasies of each plugin is where the magic happens, which is difficult when you have a whole candy store to play with!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »
Hi @Boydie
yep I hear ya,

I am subbed with Slate until next year and will review the situation then, I like their VMR and analogue stuff, use it all the time, Also have Shepps Omni (29 bucks) thats a well used plug too.

Always on the look out for a good SSL plugin channel strip, Brainworx or waves, will wait till they come up.

I see PSP have a nice channel strip plug in too.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »
@Cawproductions

I am a huge fan of the WAVES SSL stuff - it is very old, which I think is actually an advantage as it means it is very light on the processor

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
I am really cautious as I have heard of waves forcing you to upgrade rendering your old plugin version useless.

I could be wrong here.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:28:52 PM by Cawproductions »