konalavadome

Forum Faves - June 2020 (Replacement for SOTM)

• 11 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
Forum Faves - June 2020 (instead of SOTM)

As you may have seen we are giving Song of the Month a rest and doing something different as a trial.  The initiative is called 'Forum Faves'. Each month a forum member will volunteer to be the guest host. He or she will select their very own favourite five songs from all the songs posted in the last calendar month. Out of those five, they will then select their single personal favourite - their 'Fave of Faves'.

This does away with the hassle of voting/organising and acknowledges that SOTM has lost a bit of impetus in recent times. This idea ensures some notable songs of the month are still highlighted though and given a bit of extra credit. But of course, it will be the personal opinion of the guest host, and everybody has different taste of course.

For the first month, June 2020, I have stepped forward to be the guest host. Please feel free to engage with the thread however you like below. @Boydie  has agreed to highlight it on the forum in some way so that it's not just lost in all the other posts. OK, here goes...

Forum Faves - June by @MichaelA

I found almost forty finished songs submitted onto the forum during June. As always some songs were better developed than others, and/or more successful in some way or other - but as a whole about a third of these songs could have made my Top Five.  A top quality bunch.  :D I've just had a very pleasant afternoon revisiting them. But a real tough time narrowing down to just the five. But I think 'decisive' has to be the driver here, so here's what I picked out, in no particular order:

Smoke and Bone by Alan Walker @montydog .

Alan is such an accomplished musician, singer and songwriter that you always know that his songs will be high quality offerings. While not necessarily the biggest fan of his chosen genre overall, I can always find something to enjoy and appreciate in his work, so he persuades me to put my rather narrow personal taste to the side. I liked this one very much and called him the 'master of understatement' in the thread, as he narrated a compelling tale of bitter relationship consequences using some fabulous word mastery. As always the musical accompaniment was rich and full of detail. Real classic singer songwriter stuff, so definitely on my Faves list.

Femme Libre by South Coast Massive

The seaside serenaders knocked out another winner in June. The boys were great on this with its mellow, funky vibe. But the girl was greater ;) and I was absolutely captivated by the tone and texture of the female vocal, supplied by @Melusine2 ! Sometimes a voice can absolutely sell a song and win you over in the first few seconds. (Note to self - YouTube singing lessons still to view!). This happened here, luscious and heavenly, I could play this over and over.

However, not speaking very much French at all I have no idea what the song is about. She says it's about freedom and power for women. And Amazon. Well they are fairly good at deliveries I suppose, but don't think they deserve a song ;)

But yeah, this was just lovely and whenever I need to chill out in future this will be my go2 song!

Metal and Dust by @Jamie

Jamie seems to be on a lockdown roll at the moment, or rock and roll should that be? Such a prolific output of top class stuff he might need his own page on the forum soon. In my view it would be worth it :)

This song stood out for me on a number of levels. First, Jamie's voice has an almost angelic quality to it, always almost sweet and so melodic. He sounds great on this one. But that dirty driving bass riff contrasts brilliantly with the mellow vocal, it's a real sugar and spice concoction. Tasty!

Then there's the technical accomplishment in this with it's unconventional time signature and prog rock layering. Did I say prog rock? Well correct me, as Jamie wrapped this succinctly in the length of a chart pop song. And it had commercial hit overtones in it too. Quality listening indeed.

Behind Closed Doors by @Jambrains

Now over to Sweden and another powerhouse production line of forum favourites, Mr JB. I asked him in a thread once to give a few others of us a chance of being shortlisted for SOTM. He did say he'd try to write worse songs in the future. But let me tell you people - he LIED! ;)

Unreliable though he is then, this guy is so professional in every way. Singing, composition, playing, production. Don't you just hate him. ;) Although my mother always used to say that envy is not a good quality.

Seriously though, I mentioned in the thread that he was becoming a bit of a troubadour of old with his interesting story songs. Obviously not a native speaker of English as a first language, his lyrics often put many an English speaking lyricist to shame. Although he does often give fair credit to @monnodb Karen, who provides editing advice from Dublin.

The anguished domestic story in this one, together with the impossibly hooky, dipping soft-rock melody really blew me away. I think I'm guilty of listening to a lot of music on a superficial level, always half preoccupied with other stuff I am doing. But this song really pulled me in. It was absorbing and moving. Great stuff. I'm glad I am able to give it an extra thumbs up here.

Ain't No Shade by @adamfarr  (ha ha, 'adam ant'  says auto-correct as I type)

Yep well he's come a long way since the 80s and Ant Music and pirate costumes, but this song is nuttily catchy and could see him back in the charts second time around.

This song happened to have been posted at the back end of the Alien Genre Challenge, but that's irrelevant as to why I have faved it. Apart from Adam's skill at stepping comfortably out his comfort zone with skill and confidence, that is. From the early cry of 'Listen Up' and 'six strings good/twelve strings better' this song brought a great big smile to my face. Funny, intelligent and off the wall- you've just got to be in awe of Adams rapid fire rap style, the catchiness of the rhythmic lyrical delivery and the absorbing tale he spins.

But then there's that infectious ascending synth riff too, bare bones onto which he's placed that anthemic rap chant chorus. A natural rapper, bit like @cowparsleyman really :)

A three minute slice of pure, infectious entertainment. Brilliant.

My Fave Of Faves

So the idea is that the guest host will then pick his or her Fave of Faves for the month. Obviously a very personal choice, but there's got to be some reward for writing all of this! ;)

And my Fave of Faves for  June is.....

Ain't No Shade by @adamfarr

Congrats to him and all my other Faves Of The Month. You made my day pondering over your work and enjoying your tunes.

All comments now welcome below, including if this is a good way to go!

All the best

MichaelA

@Boydie - wasnt sure where to post this. It's not really a Competition. Please move ir duplicate as you think fit, ta.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:48:18 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:10:42 PM »
I think this is an excellent idea and I really appreciate the effort you have gone to here, not just the organising but the very detailed commentary of each track. I will definitely be back to this thread when I have more time to check out those tunes and massive well done to everyone who did and did not make the cut :) there’s such a talent of song writers here. Happy listening all

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »
Wow, thanks so much @MichaelA, great to be in your top5 and the first forum fave to boot. Am feeling so chuffed that I may have to volunteer to do the next one.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »
Blimey! In the words of the song "I was not expecting that". Many thanks @MichaelA for choosing my song for your list of faves and for your very kind words. What a gent.
M

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »
Congrats guys and nice work @MichaelA

Have to say I think this is a great feature.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
Great idea @MichaelA and beautifully executed! Great songs and your reviews are fab! Congrats all!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
I think that this is a fabulous initiative. We done @MichaelA for kicking this of with your well thought out and entertaining reviews and thank you so much for being included in this month's "faves"

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
Well done@MichaelA
Brilliant idea, brilliantly executed, great reviews. You should write a book.... ;)

Cheers
Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 10:29:07 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded positively to the thread so far. Anyone else? - you're welcome to stick your oar in.

Personally, I think there's enough appetite to keep this going, at least in the short term.

Cheers all.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »
Fab work @MichaelA!
Can't remember the last time I enjoyed being hated so much  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 02:57:20 AM »
Great choice of tracks Michael - and entertaining commentary to boot.
Now I'll need to know who to send the cash to for next month - not that @adamfarr can be bought :D
Congrats to the chosen ones - Looking forward to the next installment.
Paul