Hello from Cambridgeshire

• 12 Replies

Dazzathedrummer

• Busker
« on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm Darren, I play the drums, keyboards and sing - I also produce and write songs.
I've been a musician for 31 years now (I'm 45) and was a fully professional musician during the 90's.

Over the past fifteen years I've been assembling bits of songs that I've written in order to create an album but I realised that I didn't have enough knowledge of both music theory and lyric writing to be able to finish songs. When I was a pro I was a key contributor to songs but now I realise that it was the collaboration between myself and other members that did know how to write that got the songs finished. It was easy to write lyrics to songs that already had a structure and it was easy think of a structure for lyrics that were already there.

In 2016 I studied Music Theory grades and passsed G8 with distinction - this has given me a much better level of knowledge to be able to construct songs and since then I've been able to form my 'bits of songs' into a whole album. I'm now on to writing lyrics and have fallen over the same stumbling blocks, while writing on my own my knowledge isn't good enough to complete good lyrics that tell a story and paint vivid pictures. I'm currently reading books by Pat Pattison and Andrea Stolp and these have been a great help to me - quite a revelation in fact!

I thought I'd join a songwriting forum in order to share ideas and discuss processes in order to improve my knowledge as I strive for the right call myself a 'prolific' songwriter  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
@Dazzathedrummer - Welcome to the forum Darren, I hope you'll find it a useful place, the folk here are warm, friendly, knowledgeable and very talented.

Was it drums you passed G8?

What kind of genres are you into?

There are some brilliant lyricists here, I wish you well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:03:27 PM by cowparsleyman »

Dazzathedrummer

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
@Dazzathedrummer - Welcome to the forum Darren, I hope you'll find it a useful place, the folk here are warm, friendly, knowledgeable and very talented.

Thanks! looking forward to getting to know people.

It was grade 8 music theory that I took - I studied for about a year for that! I also sat Grade 8 Music production at the same time and passed with distiction after 6 hours of study! ...just goes to show that you can have years of experience but not be very knowlegeable in some areas (music theory) but not others (music production).

I never got around to taking drum grades but I do study and also teach - I'll probably do grade 8 for that next, just for the sake of ticking that box!

I'm mainly into Prog (Genesis, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush) and the album that I'm putting together will be in that genre. I play drums in a Marillion tribute band called She Chameleon.

Here's an example of my production skils (not my song, a Marillion cover), I'm also on drums (although there's not a lot of playing in this one)...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:19:47 PM by Dazzathedrummer »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »
@Dazzathedrummer

Welcome to the forum

If you are looking for a more contemporary/commercial slant on lyric writing I would recommend:

Robin Fredrick
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shortcuts-Hit-Songwriting-Techniques-Writing/dp/0982004001/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=robin+frederick&qid=1594104231&sr=8-1

and

Jason Blume
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Steps-Songwriting-Success-Comprehensive/dp/0823084779/ref=sr_1_1?crid=FNZR9VI75U45&dchild=1&keywords=jason+blume&qid=1594104309&sprefix=Jason+blu%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-1

There are also plenty of great writers here if you want to collaborate and recreate the experience of writing with others

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
Hi @Dazzathedrummer - my advice is get stuck into finishing some songs and also into all the songs and questions on this forum - sounds like you have lots to give but I'm sure you'll soon get a lot in return.

Dazzathedrummer

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 06:20:49 PM »
@Dazzathedrummer

Welcome to the forum

If you are looking for a more contemporary/commercial slant on lyric writing I would recommend:

Robin Fredrick
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shortcuts-Hit-Songwriting-Techniques-Writing/dp/0982004001/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=robin+frederick&qid=1594104231&sr=8-1

and

Jason Blume
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Steps-Songwriting-Success-Comprehensive/dp/0823084779/ref=sr_1_1?crid=FNZR9VI75U45&dchild=1&keywords=jason+blume&qid=1594104309&sprefix=Jason+blu%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-1

There are also plenty of great writers here if you want to collaborate and recreate the experience of writing with others

Thanks!

I’ll check those out one I’m done with the current batch.

Dazzathedrummer

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Hi @Dazzathedrummer - my advice is get stuck into finishing some songs and also into all the songs and questions on this forum - sounds like you have lots to give but I'm sure you'll soon get a lot in return.

Yes, finishing is always the problem - if you never finish a project, it’ll always have potential  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »
@Dazzathedrummer

if you never finish a project, it’ll always have potential

But (and this is one of my favourite mantras)...

Good songs are written - GREAT songs are re-written  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »

Thanks! looking forward to getting to know people.

It was grade 8 music theory that I took - I studied for about a year for that! I also sat Grade 8 Music production at the same time and passed with distiction after 6 hours of study! ...just goes to show that you can have years of experience but not be very knowlegeable in some areas (music theory) but not others (music production).

I never got around to taking drum grades but I do study and also teach - I'll probably do grade 8 for that next, just for the sake of ticking that box!

I'm mainly into Prog (Genesis, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush) and the album that I'm putting together will be in that genre. I play drums in a Marillion tribute band called She Chameleon.

Here's an example of my production skils (not my song, a Marillion cover), I'm also on drums (although there's not a lot of playing in this one)...

Thanks for the response Darren,

Very interesting indeed.

I might be calling on you sometime...

Rich

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Dazzathedrummer .
I admire the way you are attempting to improve & learn. There are a lot of talented songwriters on here but more importantly they are very helpful & supportive.
(Nice production on the Hollow Man by the way.)

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 12:59:26 PM »
Hi,

I'm Darren, I play the drums, keyboards and sing - I also produce and write songs.
I've been a musician for 31 years now (I'm 45) and was a fully professional musician during the 90's.

Over the past fifteen years I've been assembling bits of songs that I've written in order to create an album but I realised that I didn't have enough knowledge of both music theory and lyric writing to be able to finish songs. When I was a pro I was a key contributor to songs but now I realise that it was the collaboration between myself and other members that did know how to write that got the songs finished. It was easy to write lyrics to songs that already had a structure and it was easy think of a structure for lyrics that were already there.

In 2016 I studied Music Theory grades and passsed G8 with distinction - this has given me a much better level of knowledge to be able to construct songs and since then I've been able to form my 'bits of songs' into a whole album. I'm now on to writing lyrics and have fallen over the same stumbling blocks, while writing on my own my knowledge isn't good enough to complete good lyrics that tell a story and paint vivid pictures. I'm currently reading books by Pat Pattison and Andrea Stolp and these have been a great help to me - quite a revelation in fact!

I thought I'd join a songwriting forum in order to share ideas and discuss processes in order to improve my knowledge as I strive for the right call myself a 'prolific' songwriter  :)

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the forum, im based in Cambridgeshire too, in particularly Wisbech. Where about are you?
Nice to meet you, and hope you will find this forum helpful, inspirational and diverse.

What sorts of stuff are you into? music genre wise I mean.

Best Regards,
Slava B.

Dazzathedrummer

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »
Hi,

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the forum, im based in Cambridgeshire too, in particularly Wisbech. Where about are you?
Nice to meet you, and hope you will find this forum helpful, inspirational and diverse.

What sorts of stuff are you into? music genre wise I mean.

Best Regards,
Slava B.

Hi!

I’m from Peterborough.

I’m mainly into Prog and play in a Marillion tribute band.
There seems to be a bit of a niche interest in prog at the moment so I’m keen to finish my album and get it out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:53:07 AM by Dazzathedrummer »

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 12:20:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.