• 23 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
It's been really difficult to move on from Hip Hop Grandad. Every time I have tried to write something in my usual style I have ended up breaking out into Old Man Lancashire Rap! It's like I have created this creative monster that I can't shake off!

But finally, last week when Grandad went off to Scarborough for the day on a Golden Years coach trip, I managed to break free and write this. It's a bit of an ironic response to Climate Change. I'm hoping that Greta Thunberg will hear it and slag me off on Facebook  :D

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/2099song

All comments gratefully received!

Lyrics - thanks for reminding me to post them @PaulAds, yep senior moment, you got me :)

There's something about C02
The earth got warmer, oh really,  who knew?
But in the cold and grey UK
Make us Hawaii, yeah that's OK
We're naughty naughty boys
And naughty naughty girls
For ravaging the planet
Murdering our world

By the year 2099
Humans will all live on Mars
Acclimatised just fine
By the year 2099
Planet earth abandoned
Desolated by mankind
But New Year's Eve
Oh we'll
Still party

So what we're talking two degrees
And we will boil, but who wants to freeze?
Bring back our plastic carrier bags
Reusing our own, well that's such a drag
We're poisoning all the fish
Says this documentary
But all's well at the chippy
A fish supper for me

We're all dancing
At the ghost party
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:24:59 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 01:16:00 PM »
I love how this song just takes off running from the start.

Great song @MichaelA with a fantastic chorus. Definitely invite Greta to the Party!!!
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
Hello
Well, I'm glad to see @MichaelA is back again, not because your alterego doesn't appear here, but because apparently you have regained the reins ... hahaha

I liked your song, things could be seen like this ...

The change that appears approx. in 2.40 ... it has an atmosphere that completes the one you wanted to give to the song. Great!

I have not been able to understand all the lyrics, you know that my English is very limited but I have generally understood what you were saying ...

Be safe
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
@MichaelA

Hi Michael, great harmonies in the chorus and loved some of the chord changes 8). Getting in early for your 'turn of the century' party song eh?  ;), I suppose now Prince has gone someone has to do it! :D Great poppy vibe to this despite the sombre lyric.
Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »
Brilliant chorus, and I love the energetic vibe you have in the song! :) Great dramatic feel and a unexpected feel to the M8, before the final chorus kicks in.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »
Hi @MichaelA I hope that Grandad is enjoying his holiday in Scarborough. Loved the bouncy pop style to this one. Great melody and catchy singalongee chorus. I like the breakdown section, very effective. Another monster from the hit factory.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Really like this, Michael.

Vocal melody is super in the verses and the chorus is super catchy. I enjoyed the up-tempo feel.

Even though hip-hop Grandad was away on his holidays...you seem to have had a senior moment on his behalf by not posting your trademark brilliant lyrics? Or was it a genius ploy to make us listen more closely?

Drums were sometimes a little mad-cap though always interesting and step up to support that great chorus brilliantly.

Couldn't help wondering if there were keyboards doing the main riff behind a guitar or two? If you did that with just guitars...I was really impressed. If fact, I was really impressed by it either way!

By the time I'd listened a few times ...I came to the conclusion that this is a genuinely brilliant song :)

Perhaps Greta's heart is in the right place...but she's a shit actress.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 11:38:03 PM »
Hey @MichaelA

Topical.. original.. witty.. very catchy .. And a New Year’s Eve song to boot…(you could make your millions with this one :)!)  The vocal at the ghost party part is great.. fab mood change.. You’ve got the gift, sir!

K

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 07:55:48 PM »
Thanks all for the great feedback so far. Grandad is jealous and is threatening a comeback! He is like Norman Bates's mother staring down from the top bedroom window at me...what next?

Anyhow @Unclenny, thanks for that. You can invite Greta to the party if you like. But I'd be just too scared  ;). although I do tend to think she'd be a really boring party guest.

Hey @Andreas. Glad you like that chorus, one of my better ones. They only come around every so often sadly:)

Hi @pompeyjazz, I like the idea of the hit factory. Good production line then. I think it is just the retail side of the business letting me down. But Grandad is back from Scarborough now - but sulking at these good comments, ha ha!

Hi @moraamarolaloba, well I think you always seem to understand my lyrics very well. Thank you! :)

Cheers @Jamie, yes this has got to be the earliest 'turn of the century song' ever! Hopefully you will sing it with me and all our other forum friends when the time finally comes around :)

Hi @PaulAds, cheers indeed for the detailed listen. I like you called the drums a bit madcap in parts - I presume you mean in the second half of the verse. I originally had one drum pattern all the way through to the chorus. But it sounded too much 'all on one level', so I went a bit deliberately oddball with the sparse ride cymbals for a bit, which jarred with me at first. But now I really like it! As for the guitar, well I am not the best guitarist in the world and kept messing up playing the main riff as thirds. So I cheated a bit and played it across two tracks, one for the riff melody, the second for the higher harmony. Then just added a bit of chorus to fill up the sound. But there's no synths until the 'ghost party' break. There's an organ pad on the chorus though. I will obviously hire a proper guitarist for my World Tour. In 2099 of course!  ;D thanks!

Hi @MonnoDB Karen. Wow I am glad you are tipping me to make my millions finally. I saw a yacht in Monaco once and thought I needed to buy it. Mind if the royalty cheques don't appear until sometime in 2100 I might be a bit old for sailing  :(. Anyhow thanks for the lovely feedback- keeps me motivated dontchaknow!  ;)

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
Hey Michael, cool song... the jolly guitars and major chords reminded me a bit of The Smiths' "Ask". (Are they real guitars or clever keyboards?  Very nice indie effect either way).  Loved the lyrics which have a kind of gallows humour about them (we may be doomed on a cosmic scale, but hey, let's go down the chippy... genius!).
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »
Yes, that guitar riff stole the show for me, really melodic and catchy. And a great theme, kind of serious-not-serious, but which has a message if we/Greta want it.
I was a bit worried that something might have happened to Grandpa when the ghost party section came round - but that part's quite effective to bring us back to earth (hoho) about what's really going on.
MichaelA is back!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:12:36 PM »
Nice one @MichaelA - as others have said very poppy sound and super vocals  ;D
Here in the coldlands, we would welcome a few degrees warmer - polar bears be damned!

Good stuff
Paul

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Absolutely fantastic @MichaelA ......i mean a fish supper always tastes good to me  :) great song, great lyrics,  great production. I think its great. Everytime i listen to one of your tracks it always puts a smile on my face    :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
Great fun this one!
Love the synth(?) riff (but a tad too up front in mix).
Mix could use a little more low end and vox is a little dominating, a "fuller" snare would probably drive the (great) beat even more.
An almost "rock" outro, me like!
A really, really good pop song, well done!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 11:19:24 AM »
Just love that you take the piss..just love it!!! oh..and it's a good song mate. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!