konalavadome

The only Star

• 20 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »
@jamie - Very accomplished and beautifully put together, love that feel of not only 5/4 but 5/4 with a 3/4 right after, wanted to do something like that for years.

Polished production too. Thought some movement in the bass line in the latter parts would add a little contrast, maybe with a hint of ironic syncopation as a hook(ironic as it's already 5/4)

I would be interested to discuss the guitar solo approach one Friday night.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
Jamie,

Great track with a lot going on  .. reminds me of early 10cc. Love the way it builds and the time signature gives it an urgency and pace that works really well.

One small suggestion: have the intro fade in more slowly, so that it feels like the song it coming at you from a distance ( if that makes sense)

Cheers,

Kevin

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 05:15:15 PM »
Good stuff. 
Sounds to me like prog. rock. 
It sounds like an angry song.
 Anger helps to stay focused, Johnny rotten knows all about that.
Im yet to venture into the territory of unusual time signatures.
I find the notion intimidating. Something I have to get more acquainted with.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

@MonnoDB
Hi Karen, great comments , thanks! I think I commented before that as a result of the time signature the vocal rhythm has to be very precise and structured or it just gets hard to listen to. Glad you commented on that. If I have a thing ....it's chord progressions ;).

@cowparsleyman
Hi Rich,You are right about the bass moving later in the song, that would have been a good idea.... :P, maybe next time ;D. thanks for the comments!

@kevysc
Hi, yes I've had 10cc mentioned before, great band! Yep, get the fade in comment, it's something I've thought of before, but never employed it....yet! Pleased you got the time signature tension.

@rightly
Hi, sounds like you're not a fan of prog rock.... :o 8). I tried to write a song about 6 months ago in 7/4 on the piano, and I just couldn't get anywhere. When I did metal and dust a few weeks ago, I played bass along with the drums and once I had the riff which I wrote very quickly , I had a handle on it and it became easier. So I think that's the key, find a way to get it to make sense when you're playing with it, and bass is a good place to start, you'll get it. I wrote this song on guitar and again, just played along until I found the rhythm and it became easier. I'm not a fan of trying to count 123,12 for a 5/4 as it interferes with my playing, so i just try to feel it. I am able to play along with bands who play complex time signatures but that's relatively easy, they've done all the hard work already ;).

Cheers all thanks for listening!

Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
Hi Jamie,
Another stellar piece from you (sorry about the pun). This song has so many great ideas both vocally and musically. There is a lot going on - a very dense mix but clear and effective. The melody is so original and doesn't follow convention which is great. Blistering guitar work also. Another cracker.
M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 12:24:51 AM »
@montydog
Cheers Alan, glad you enjoyed it,even though I suspect it isn’t in your comfort zone ;).
Thanks
Jamie