konalavadome

Sadness in Your Eyes

• 23 Replies

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« on: July 05, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Hello fellow musicians! I have been working on some new songs that I plan to put in a mixtape, and hopefully they are all ready to be released on the world mental health day. This is the first of them I am finished with, and also the last I started writing. A few minor fixes on the mixing of the vocals, and maybe add some soft melodies to fill the chords, and I have already re-written some lines after I recorded, once I got to hear how it sounded.

All of my most painful songs recently have all had one thing in common, they all come out as raps. I don`t know, I just find it easier to tell the story with rap. This one is about one of my closest friends who lost some of her closest family recently, and we`re in two different countries, also separated by a gigantic ocean and Africa in the middle. It`s about me wanting to be there for her in a time like this, and just be there by her side, and about the pain I feel in her voice every time we talk.

I appreciate any feedback, if there`s something I can do make the song better or some tips for the mixing of the vocals :)

Lyrics

I don’t want you to cry babe
Let me in on your pain
When you`re having bad days
I make them all go away
You used to smile
Made my world stop turning for a while
And now you make me cry
I know you`re sad and I know the reason why
Losing someone that you love so much
I know it hurts, let me be your crutch
I`ll be there to keep you safe with just one touch
I slay down your monsters I love you this much
I know things have been difficult
But you can be the miracle
If you can get past the sorrow that you feel
I know babe that in time you will heal
I don’t wanna say goodbye
I know it hurts when you cry
I see the sadness in your eyes

I`ll take away all of your pain
If you want me to I`ll be there for you
I`ll hold you close, chase down all your ghosts

When you see yourself in the mirror
And you hate who you`d become
Your tears form a river
And you think that you are gonna drown
The make-up stain is raining from your face
I`ll come to the rescue i`ll be your saving grace
I`ll put my arms around you and hold you to my heart
I`ll break every barrier that are keeping us apart
All of the pain you have built up inside
Is it real or just a reflection of your life
Will it pass, will it disappear with time
Or will it last, will it break you down inside
Intoxicated, your thoughts don`t make sense they`re so damn
Complicated, you can`t think you just wanna forget everything
But nothing does matter any more
You can`t go back to the way it was before, they`re gone

I`ll take away all of your pain
I`ll hold you close, chase down all your ghosts

The sadness in your tears they tell their own story
I know all your fears I know you don’t want me to worry
But I worry I just want you to be okay
I know you`re hurt I just don`t know what I can say
To make it better, to make your pain go away
To make your tears stop raining down your face
I wonder are you still sober afraid you`re gonna lose
Or are you drowning your pain in the sadness of the booze
Another shot of whiskey going down the drain
An hour passed the bottle`s empty and you make it rain
The pain you feel I know your heart`s been broken and shattered
You`re bleeding on the inside feels like you`ve been struck by a dagger
You drown your tears in the silence of the night
You know it`s necessary for your fam and friends that you stay and fight
You were gonna be in their life and guide them until the end
But now they`re gone and your mind just can`t comprehend

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:12:31 PM »
Hi Andreas...

Great song! I enjoyed the lyrics a lot.

I thought the vocal was probably a little "dry" and i think it could use a bit more reverb and/or delay...not necessarily a lot...especially on the spoken bits...maybe add more to the "singing" bits? which might help contrast between the two different components?

I really liked the stripped-back feeling of the song and thought it had a really powerful and affecting honesty to it...

Very nice work!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
Hi Andreas, I thought the execution of this song was really good. Sparse backing, that rap style works well and the singing in the chorus compliments the rap. Well thought out lyrics as well. Good stuff :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »
@Andreas

Hi, rap isn't really my thing, but I enjoyed the emotional quality of the delivery of words you obviously feel. I get that the backing is pared back to make the words the spectacle of the song, but for me a bit of variation would have made the song lift a little. But, well done, I couldn't do that!

Cheers

Jamie

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
@PaulAds @pompeyjazz @Jamie

Thank you for your kind words, really appreciate it! :) On the mixing of the rap vocals, I was actually satisfied and feel I got that LoFi vibe I was after, but maybe make it a little more wet or add some reverb could work. The chorus/singing part, I`m not quite there yet, as I know exactly how I want it to sound, so I have to sit down a little on it, maybe some reverb is the key.

As for the piano, I want it even more LoFi, and soft, but I have thought about adding a few notes to fill out the chords, and add some guitar noodling every 2 bars, to make it more interesting. I`ll get a mini vacay after tomorrow, so then I can sit down with the piano and work something out. I have also been playing with adding some thunder and rain effects to make it sound more dramatic, so I will see how it all turns out in the end :)

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:40:17 PM »
I'm listening in mono on one earbud here in my office. What that is telling me is that those piano chords are slightly masking your vocals each time they come in. You might be able to find that coincidental frequency and cut the piano a bit there.....maybe even boost the vocal.

I do like the sparse production style and the lyrics a lot.

the idea of thunder and rain is cool if you keep it pretty subtle.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »
I like this one a lot. I think the singing choruses are exactly right for this style. Perhaps you could bring out the percussion more in those parts to give a different feel? 

Around the intoxicated / complicated part there were some lines which perhaps you could look at again to match the rhythm - nothing terrible but noticeable I think.

I think unclenny is right that the vocal could be boosted or separated a little more from the backing - it can still be lofi but it's important to hear the lyrics here.

I like the differentness of the song, very nice atmpsphere and great emotion.

simonjol

• Busker
  • Love to write and discuss music :)
    • The Confederation
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
Hi Andreas

First off you have a very unique and lovely smooth tone to your voice. It reminds me a little of Macy Grey, this is a real gift!

I enjoyed the performance a lot and agree the lowfi production is definitely the right approach.

There is rhythm in this which can be accentuated. Subtle shifts perhaps holding or slightly before the beat on the 1 or 3 rather than keeping with the straight 4/4 timing maybe.

The emotion in the rap makes it work and elevates it considerably, Sadly we are overrun with the cliched style of rap, in my opinion which does the art form no justice, so nice work.

I need to check out more of your singing as i think you have a gem of a voice!

All the best

Si

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:03:36 AM by simonjol »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
Like an emotional poem set to music, I like your understated rap style and the lovely texture to your voice.

I'd maybe consider doubling up your vocals in the singing sections so that this stands out more. But you do put over your feelings so well with that vocal style - an original voice!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »
@Unclenny - I haven`t gotten to sit down with it yet today, but I will take a deeper look at that, and see if I can fix it, might be related to how I set the EQ settings. Probably an easy fix, but I`m still not that experienced in mixing and producing, so might turn out worse than it it anyways :p

@adamfarr - Thank you so much for your kind comments :) The chorus was the first part I wrote or idea I had in my head, but I couldn`t drag to an traditional song, so I just started scribbling down words and rap them out, so I stuck with the chorus to make the rap bits stand out a little.

There are some parts I have started to re-write a little, as when I got to hear them after the recording and with the music and all and a set tempo, I heard I had some struggles keeping the beat in the words. For the beat I used the SoCal in Logic, to keep it simple, but I might use the Midi to create my own beat instead, and then it is easier to boost it in certain areas :)

@simonjol - Oh wow, thank you so much! :) Macy Gray has a fantastic voice, so that`s a compliment I cherish :)

If I go for making my own beat, I am more free to play around, and make it more unexpected, and not the original 4/4. I have an idea on how I want it to sound when I am completely done, so now it is just to execute that plan of mine :)

@MichaelA - Thank you so much for those kind words :) "Emotional poem set to music", I like that :) Rap is kinda like a poem though. I thought about adding some harmonies on that part of the song, maybe pan it slightly in different directions as well, so let`s see how that goes :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:31 AM »
I like messing with words, especially coming up with effective phrases and unique rhymes. And I really liked how you rhymed difficult and miracle.  That was inspired.

I agree with those who would like to hear a little more variety in the accompaniment. Doesn't need much. Something to build it up some and then drop back toward the end.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:46 AM »
Hey Andreas, really impressive take on rap, you've got a good voice for the genre and carry it really well.  Like others I could imagine it with more production (my head wants the percussion to lift up in the choruses) but then again, the ultra stripped back feeling is currently what makes it very unique, so maybe not.  I hope your friend appreciated it.
It's all too beautiful.

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
Hello, Norway!

Great song. I'm impressed by your writing, the pain and the hopelessness of the lyrics feel real. Very bold, stripped-down arrangement. I think it works.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
@CaliaMoko - Thank you for your kind words, Vicky! :) I have been listening to some of my favourite rappers to see how they do their drops and how the percussion flows through a song, to get some inspiration, so might just add the drums manually, and play around with it, and find out what works.

The feeling when you find those two words that don`t look like a rhyme, but when you sing it, it works perfect, is priceless! :)

@PaulyX - Thank you for your kind words! :) Personally, I listen most to raps that are stripped back where the vocal and emotion are the highlighted parts of the song, so that`s where my inspiration come from, mostly.

She hasn`t heard it yet, but I hope she will when eventually gets to hear it :)

@The Estuary (SWE) - Sweden, whats up?! :) Thank you for those kind words :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
Andreas,

I really like this one! You have a great singing voice and the chorus has a real anthemic feel. Great lyrics that flow well.

Would possibly benefit from a slow build of instrumentation, but works really well as it it.

Great job, well done!

Kevin