konalavadome

The only Star

• 20 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
Hi all, a new song for your consideration and constructive criticism! Lyric is self explanatory ( I think  ::)). This song file was called guitar noodles when it started, so I had a few guitar chord and note progressions which ended up being the song. I was playing around in alternative tuning which I think is in itself a motivational and inspirational thing to get you going if you are stuck in a bit of a rut (works for me anyway!). I was aiming for a particular sound and build and wanted to rock it out at the end. It's also in an unconventional time signature (again). Hope you enjoy it, I had fun doing it! I wanted to call it Hysteria but Muse beat me to it!

Cheers

Jamie
https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/the-only-star

The only Star

You think you're pretty cute, you think you're so smart
You talk you calculate, strip it all apart

Delusional and hysterical is how you are, you really, really are

You don't know everything, what do you really know
I think I know it's time, payback for what you owe

In your lonely Universe you are the only Star, you are the only Star

Wonder what you think before you go to sleep
If you knew what they think I'm pretty sure you'd weep

Everything's so rosy when, you are in control
You laugh and joke a lot, when you're on a roll

In your lonely Universe you are the only Star, you are the only Star

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is class! Right up my street! Love the delusional and hysterical verse is epic @Jamie :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Very rhythmical vocal which gives the song a standout identity especially with it rising like that in the chorus. Quite bouncy all round in fact, right from that nice intro. Makes for a pretty catchy track.

Sounding good Jamie. Like the guitar.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:07:03 AM »
I really like the time signature of this one.....it keeps the listener completely involved right to the end.

I agree with @Sebandme about that delusional and hysterical section. That really works.

Great ending as well!

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
Hola @Jamie

Wow, the melody is really difficult to sing, up up and up...
What can I say? The mix maybe could  have less high color? It is a small appreciation, It despot matter because the track sounds great and the guitar works fine.
The lyrics....  I think a lot of us can be portrayed here... hopefully only at some moments!!! hahaha
It has a nice listening!!!

I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »
Hi Jamie
A good driving rock song with a fantastic atmospheric intro and interesting lyrics and melody. I also thought the guitar outro was 1st class. I wasnt sure at first about the constantly rising vocal on the chorus but you seem to have carried it off. Another good song from you.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »
Yep, this hits the spot for sure @Jamie I loved the way you keep the bass on the same note on the pre chorus. Your vocals are great. Don't know how you manage to get some of those high notes. The time signature makes it just a little different as well. You are on a prolific streak for sure. Great stuff man  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »
Terrific work @Jamie, your best chorus for a while that. Nice dramatic ending too.

My only thought was that you could add a bit of darkness to the chorus, if it is that, by singing underneath the melody line an octave lower.

Just a thought, but I enjoyed your technical excellence in this and stretching yourself on a little musical workout with challenging time signatures and tuning. 'Guitar Noodles', sounds like a great title that!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »
Hello Jamie! Loved the melody from start to finish. Lyrics are brilliant, and the guitar solo is fantastic :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »
Another gem, Jamie.

I'd hate to be the guy on the receiving end of that lyric  :P

That first guitar break around 1:50 was very conservative...and then you went to town second time around...

Fits together brilliantly and I still can't get my head around those time signatures  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »
Oh I like the lyrics
Can’t wait to hear it.
Internet is too slow.
Tomorrow
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

@Sebandme

Hi, Don't think I've ever been called a DUDE before......is that good? ;)
Cheers!

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra
Hi Ian, good to hear from you ! I'm glad you mentioned the rhythm. Because of the time signature the phrasing of the words were very important to 'Knit' the backing track together with the vocals. Pleased you enjoyed it, it was fun to do...

@Unclenny
Hi, I thought the 'hook' of this song was the 'Delusional' part too! Glad it worked. Theres something about odd time signatures that 'reels' you in imho!

Glad you like it guys!

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
Thanks for listening!

@moraamarolaloba

Hi Mora, yes I think there is a part of all of us in this lyric ;). I know what you mean about the high notes, but I could hear that sound working in my head so went with it! Glad you enjoyed it!

@Grubstar

Hi, thanks glad you enjoyed it, for me the rising section is the hook, pleased it worked for you (eventually)   ;)

@pompeyjazz

Hi John, I had to sing the high part 4 times to get the 'strength' into the tone. Don't think I've ever recoded my voice 4 times singing the same part (except when harmonising). Pleased you got the time signature, for some it will be a bit destabilising to listen to.

Cheers pleased you enjoyed it!

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for listening!

@MichaelA
Hi Michael, yes you're right an octave lower in that section would have worked well. I was looking for a Carmina Burana feel without actually copying it :o, and maybe the octave would have done that? Yes, these last two efforts have been technically challenging, but it's been fun (takes longer though ;))

@Andreas
Hi, glad you enjoyed it!

@PaulAds

Hi Paul, it's not really directed at one person (honest ;)), but it's a bit of an amalgamation of characters I've known. I did wonder if someone would ask if it was autobiographical :o ;D. Interesting you mention the guitar solos, I was thinking  about how I build a solos, and was wondering how others approach it. Maybe a subject for a Friday Night discussion?

@rightly
Hi, have you listened yet? Get your broadband sorted man!  ;) 8) ;D

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed it!

Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 11:48:50 PM »
Hey @Jamie - this is really great - that Delusional line is fab - the rhythmic delivery of the lyric is really impactful. Some very interesting progressions and wow that time sig! The whole thing really grabbed me... fantastic lyric.. whole thing is very creative..

Huge thumbs up from me..

K