konalavadome

Tailspin

• 31 Replies

simonjol

• Busker
  • Love to write and discuss music :)
    • The Confederation
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
@pompeyjazz Love Cov :) been here a couple of years now Always been in the midlands

Yes i will mate there is brilliant talent here and such a nice welcome

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:11:11 PM by simonjol »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
HI, welcome to the forum! Yes, definitely getting the early Prince vibe. Vocals could come up more in the mix and I felt the guitars were a bit too busy, sometimes less is more ;). Loved the brass towards the end and the guitar stood out a bit more in the tail section ( ::) :P :-X)

CHeers

Jamie

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
Jamie thanks for the input haha yea i have been mixing and cleaning it up a bit with vocals more prominent :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:12:13 PM by simonjol »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 11:41:09 PM »
Hey @simonjol - this is a great song! Some lovely guitar work too! Agree that the vocal could come up in the mix - they're a little lost and it's a good vocal. Melody really grabbed me I must say and there's some great detail in drum track.. particularly those hi-hats.. fab! Look forward to hearing more..

Welcome to the forum.

Karen.

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
Thanks Karen! I checked out your soundcloud wow! some incredibly strong work there.

I am really pleased you like the melody that's always the hub for me and the thing I try to focus on. I do tend to get a bit lost in the detail if i'm not careful. Oh i've had fun with the drums haha I am basically a frustrated drummer who never learnt to play real drums. I really should take lessons and give it some proper time!

I have updated the track now with a new mix based on you guys expertise. :)

Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:29:22 AM by simonjol »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 12:40:43 PM »
Really liked this one - great harmonies and guitars going nuts - plus tamborines (right?).

Some lyrical gems in there too: Sitting on a golden chair/In your underwear...!

Yes, although I probably have listened to the new mix, I'd still like to hear the vocal more at times (may need to clear out the right EQ space in the backing quite boldly and also automate when needed) but it's always tricky.

Looking forward to hearing more!

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
Hi Adam and thanks loads, glad you like. That line is close to my heart but we won't go into that haha  :)

Yes you are right tambo in the chorus, wanted to accentuate the chorus a bit. Thanks for the specifics on EQ i will give that a go too. I will try taking the rhythm guitar down a bit more on the right side. At times I have two organ tracks that are playing constant notes which i think are filling in the clarity but i don't want to lose them. Will fiddle a bit and update.

thanks again
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:00:32 PM by simonjol »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 03:18:41 PM »
Cool - but I meant to say the "correct space" (or correct frequency range) - not the right hand side!

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
Ah thanks not as simple as i though ha 'scratches head' I really need to learn about mixing properly!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »
Very sophisticated sounding song Simon.
Love the funky guitars and your mellow vocals.
Interesting progression and an arrangement which was clearly a lot of work with all the different things happening vocally and instrumentally.
Well it certainly does lift in the chorus...maybe the tambo's a bit loud though at 1.40 and 2.40 odd?
But I'm no mixing king and the levels are a constant struggle for me. Things seem too loud one time, too soft the next....long process isn't it?

Anyway nice introduction to your sound and style which is pretty classy stuff.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
Viscount Cramer thanks that's very kind. I'd love to get better at mixing and start doing things to a better standard hence one of the reasons for joining here.

Adam has kindly offered me some pointers on mixing down so i will get onto that next.

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:17:42 PM by simonjol »

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »
Wow! This is a truly tail-spinning track. I get a lot of different and interesting vibes, Peter Gabriel meats the Minneapolis sound. Low key and big production at the same time. The wah-wah. And the brass arrangement at the end of the song. It's all one big party.

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
@The Estuary (SWE) Hey thanks sooo much for that, yea i was trying to get an upbeat party kind of groove to this glad you picked up on that :) I am just working on mixing it down following the great advice on here

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 08:36:43 PM »
lovely
really interesting and seemingly liberated songwriting
I suppose that guitar solo needs turning up a bit
A refreshing listen!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

simonjol

• Busker
    • The Confederation
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »
@rightly

Thanks tons man, glad you like :) it's a really fun track to work up and hopefully i will eventually get a pro singer on it for a duet final mix

thanks all for your guidance on mixing, think i've learnt a fair bit from you masters already and it's good to explore that side of recording, which i have always been a bit daunted by.