Alien genre challenge - Bad Dog WIP

• 7 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 27, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
Don't know if I'm getting the genre right (metal) - especially in the intro...  ;D ;D
Shame about the ending - Where do I take it from here?

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/bad-dog
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:10:08 PM by Paulski »

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »

Hey Paul,

Not often you come looking for advice ;D ;D. Usually the other way round for me..
 BUT, if it were mine ;D.  I'd get rid of the banjo. Where it kicks off, around 0.47, sounds like a good start to me,
 and the rest is just perfect ;D.  Just carry on with that sort of thing.....  You're a natural ;D ;D

Hope all is well with you and yours old chap ;D. Take care...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
@Paulski - wicked ...just change the genre, it brilliant 1967 san francisco Lsd rock, 2 groups after jimi came on...brilliant.

I’d keep the banjo, but make that part a little shorter, i could see the HUGE waveform promising LOUD, so i wanted the banjo to stop, i kind of got that, and add a hammond b3

A bit like crazy world of arthur brown ....

Wouldn’t I call it metal though...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:40:02 AM by cowparsleyman »

JonnyD

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
I like the intro! And personally for me the amount of banjo is good. The blend of genres is really nice.

Something about the drums just isn't doing it for me. It feels almost like techno the way the 1, 2, 3, 4 beats are equally emphasized. I'm not a drummer, but I think a bit more of swing would help it feel less like a march. The squeal at 1:40 is also waaaaay too loud in my opinion.

Like the song though :)
Was a snowman in a past life

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
Hey Paul,

Not often you come looking for advice ;D ;D. Usually the other way round for me..
 BUT, if it were mine ;D.  I'd get rid of the banjo. Where it kicks off, around 0.47, sounds like a good start to me,
 and the rest is just perfect ;D.  Just carry on with that sort of thing.....  You're a natural ;D ;D

Hope all is well with you and yours old chap ;D. Take care...
Thanks bin. You don't like my banjo pickin? :D Well I never!! Hehe the banjo intro is supposed to be crappy - so I've achieved my objective! It's supposed to sound old-timey like this song's intro. Then it's supposed to crank! So I agree with you, sort of  8)

@Paulski - wicked ...just change the genre, it brilliant 1967 san francisco Lsd rock, 2 groups after jimi came on...brilliant.

I’d keep the banjo, but make that part a little shorter, i could see the HUGE waveform promising LOUD, so i wanted the banjo to stop, i kind of got that, and add a hammond b3

A bit like crazy world of arthur brown ....

Wouldn’t I call it metal though...

Thanks @cowparsleyman  - not metal? well that's as close as I'm gonna get!  ;D
You know soundcloud messed with the level on that intro - it's supposed to be really low and crappy with static etc. but it sounds much louder on SC than my mp3 played locally. Feck! I agree about the intro length - I'll shorten it. Now a B3 would really not apply to metal - but why not eh?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
Hi @Paulski , I was actually most amused by your banjo intro, then the translation of it into the heavier genre. I wouldn't know if it was metal or not, but it's very gritty and mean. Are we allowed a chorus in this kind of thing? -  or sectional twist, as after you've enjoyed the genre switch then the heavier section could do with a lift or change I think to maintain maximum interest.

Great stuff so far though  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

alcapone_dudu

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »
That was a trip!

Interesting work but in my opinion you should find a way to smoothen the change between the banjo part and the metal part. I think this would give the some balance.

Thanks for sharing!

Arthur_Satine

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 01:08:22 AM »
Oh my god, that's sick! I love the second part of the song, sounds glitchy. So many emotions, just crazy in a best way.