konalavadome

Re Amping - Anyone used this technique

• 8 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: June 24, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Re Amping....Basically this is recording guitar dry then pushing that signal through an amp again, this time with a different tone/distortion.

I've never needed to do this, but I would be interested if someone has done this (it's very much like recording a dry signal in a DAW then choosing which amp sim sounds the best), I wonder if anyone has used this on the same real amp just with different settings? swears by it, tried it - hated it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:02:43 PM by cowparsleyman »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
@cowparsleyman

Even though I am seasoned live player with amps (25+ years) I find the convenience and quality of virtual amp sims (specifically Helix, Fender Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig) cover all of my recording needs

I understand people wanting to record using a real amp to get the “feels” from playing to enhance the performance - eg having the amp “push air”, feeling the guitar resonate etc.

Although I have heard people rave about pushing the signal through a real amp and re-recording I honestly feel that amp sims, speaker emulations and IRs, and mic simulations have got so good now it has made this technique a bit redundant (IMHO)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
@Boydie

I whole heartedly agree, and the Amp Sims you mention are really great, have you used Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound for Cab emulations?

I was totally underwhelmed by the Waves GTR plugs, but overwhelmed by their PRS series, really Paul , they are a joy, and to my ears better than most, I just keep forgetting to use them, the other good one i found was the Brainworks Fuchs Supreme 50 (Dumble clone), it's a bit sensitive and you have to dial in a bit, but that's got a nice Clean / slightly pushed but sustained tone, like Larry Carlton...

As you say Reamping I think has had it's day...

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
Hi Cpm,
Never done this on lead gtrs, use sim and IRs, (Bias FX and Guitar Rig)
But, I did use it on a DI bass signal before and mic'd up my Fender Rumble bass amp, just because the bass lacked a bit of super lows.

Like has been said, lots of good sims about at the mo, I guess that progress.

I still see lots of videos of guys miccing cabinets and they say its impossible to get a proper tone if ya dont....I am not convinced. A lot of top studios wont do it any other way.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:03:10 PM »
@Cawproductions - I think there’s a bit of ‘well i have all this posh gear’ but I’m with you, If it sounds right for the song I don’t care how it’s done. The song is all that matters.

On this forum Every week I hear songs and production that even 10 years ago would have been very difficult to do in a home studio, and i don’t know what’s been used to do it, if it moves me then thats fine.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Hi Cpm,
yeh am totally with you. I am proper geeky and watch loads of studio interviews with engineers and (IMHO) a lot of them are desperate to hang on to the notion that if you want a song to sound pro you need to visit a pro studio, when in most cases, Mine especially, i dont have the room to get a whole band in here or the gear to accept that many inputs, and the neighbours wouldnt like it.

Ok, I get that if you take all your bands input thru an SSL desk and some analogue gear its gunna sound good, But is it required anyway with all the tape and saturation plugs that we add at the end anyway.

Agree you gotta get a good source signal, but once in the box, I am divided.

better put this soap box away now and release the worms.....but hey what do I know....learning all the time.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
I still see lots of videos of guys miccing cabinets and they say its impossible to get a proper tone if ya dont....I am not convinced. A lot of top studios wont do it any other way.

@Cawproductions
I think it is more about the “feel” whilst recording than purely the tone, although I completely accept the “cork sniffer” aspect of sticking to the “old” methods

I have seen and heard so many “real amp v sim” videos that I really do think we are at the stage where from a purely tonal point of view we are pretty much there

However, playing near a big speaker that is “moving air” and making the guitar resonate can take the performance to the next level, which is what the top studios focus on
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
I spent a lot of years with early Line 6 gear that was ok but that's all. Looking back it was probably a mistake as there were too many options for someone who didn't have enough knowledge.

20 or so years on and I have ditched all the Line 6 gear (well I now have Spider V for when I want an amp and it's pretty good) and I am trying to concentrate on one set of Sims to simplify things (so thanks @cowparsleyman for suggesting the PRS plug ins, I'll just have to take a look  ;D) and have gone for Bias FX 2.  Initially I only have the basic set of models and I think it is excellent.  I'll probably get the other two sets eventually but I am really happy with it at the moment.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly, @Boydie. totally agree, you will never get the feeling of hitting the strings and hearing that gut rumbling loud tone, followed by the grin that accompnies it....I was refering to having a good low latency feedback route which enables the use of sims, (Cue me in my room with headphones on giving my ears a rinsing).

I have just started playing live home gigs with my mate, and know the feeling of playing with another musician,

basically, if you looking for tone, the Sims with a good IR will be hard to beat, but wont replace the feeling you get when you are trying to get emotion and feedback from your gear.

@PeteS - Bias FX and Guitar Rig are my gotos, but there are many.