C'mon the Biff

• 12 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 19, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
@cowparsleyman @Unclenny

Rich, your musical education is seriously lacking if you don't know Biffy Clyro! Known for their quirky song writing and live performance. I first saw them live at Milton Keynes supporting Foo Fighters in 2009/10. They blew me and the Foo's away. Listen to Living is a problem because everyone dies (Live version is best), Bubbles( I used to play this song in my band, the outro rocks),Who's got a match, Different people, The Golden Rule, and Biblical. You'll get the flavour from those beauties!

Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
@Jamie - Yeah, I've kind of lost touch with the music scene at about 1987, which is fine by me. I'll give him a listen,

Check out Bach's BWV 1006 prelude, that too has a cracking outtro (I used to play it to my drum tutor, he was blown away...nerdy fact...there is what's called a pivot barre' in there somewhere...took 18 months to learn it and about 4 mins to play it, can't do it now as me arthritis gives me gip, it is beautiful to play, one of life's joys)

Which do you prefer? both were students of Segovia

John Williams

David Russell

For me one stands head and shoulders above the other

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
@Jamie - yeah he rocks alright, good call...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Wow! David Russell!

I've never seen anyone using one of those guitar footrests you used to be able to get in Kays catalogue...I wish I'd got one back then...it could have made all the difference  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
@PaulAds - Hendrix tried one once but he ended up burning it...I felt a right berk using it at first, but they actually do put everything in the right place, except your spuds, if you're wearing tight trousers...you might need to adjust yer g string in mid performance.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
What a player, he plays faster than many shredders, he's Scottish and lives in Spain...I wonder if he has his own wine fridge... @adamfarr ...

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:32:22 PM »
Hilarious thread!  Lol.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
@cowparsleyman

To my untrained ear Russell sounds more fluid in his playing, Williams sounds technically great but more mechanical. The nearest I got to being able to play anything like that was Steve Howe's Mood for a day......

Bach was such a genius, I'm still nicking some of his chord progressions ;D 8)

Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
@Jamie - Yip Russell for me...as for Bach, He was a Rock n Roll star..2 wives and 20 kids...and a shed load of songs...I wonder what he'd make of our forum....I only said I could play it, not what it sounded like... 8)

If you can play anything from Steve Howe, good on yer...

Here is the trouble with Classical Critics..."Bach's music is soft and gentle, often suffused with piercing tenderness. His style has been called "feminine," a dated way of saying that Bachian geometry is free of angles and that the shortest path from A to B is a spiraling curve"

No it isn't, it's just brilliant to listen to and play (except the ones that aren't)

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 01:55:45 PM »
@Jamie @cowparsleyman ....Wow! You guys went seamlessly from Biffy to Bach! I'm impressed.

I could not play David Russel over here. I went searching but could only find him with pretty poor audio quality......so I have been rocking Biffy (Bubbles) here in my office.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
@Unclenny - Shame man, the David Russell Plays Bach CD is worth every penny, cent or drachma

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
Lots to check out here. I hated that song "When We Collide" though...

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
@adamfarr
Hi Adam, when we collide (actually named 'many of horror') is not my favourite Biffy song, but their original was ruined by some pillock on one of those shit talent shows. And then there's the classic 'There no such thing as a jaggy snake'. ;D

Jamie