konalavadome

New song-Metal and dust

• 27 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
Really like this one! The riff is simple but effective to give some real drive and energy. Your vocals actually really suit it too - very nice contrast. Really like the harmonies, they take those parts up another level. Lyrics work very well - I also like how the lines combine to take us back to the title. I suspect this is a deceptively simple production but it sounds very professional indeed.

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »
I like a lot. The production is spot on, creating a very full and rich sound from relatively few sound components. The bassline is magic. As for placing this song in a particular genre or musical period/style, I find that hard. Which in this case is a good thing. This is a very original piece of work!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »
Hi Jamie,
It's great that you've used an unusual time signature - very clever and the technical side of this is beyond criticism. From a purely personal point of view, I avoid prog rock like the plague (see what I did there?!) so this did colour my judgement quite a lot. I respect it but I'm struggling to like it. My problem, not yours.
M

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »
Hi Jamie, don't see any Biffy influences here, shame  ;) But that driving bass and building rhythm section gives this song real beef. Your sweeter vocal is a great counter balance to it, even having a bit of a pop flavour to it at times.

You're at the top of your game technically with this, in the playing, the composition and the production. The lead guitar is a dream. I liked the brevity, exactly what you wouldn't expect, so then challenging the genre convention, great idea. Much attention to detail and complexity in such a short journey. Very cool indeed.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 05:05:44 PM »
Hi guys thanks for listening!

@PaulAds
Hi Paul, yes I think it the time signature that squeezes your brain ;). Having that off beat signature just unbalances the dynamics of the song and creates some tension waiting for the resolve ;) :P ::). Great comments its appreciated!

@adamfarr

Hi Adam, yes the production was straightforward from the mixing and mastering perspective, but playing over that time signature and bass riff was hard (at least for me). In 4/4 it's pretty easy to know when to come in, when you're counting and singing/playing its a lot more difficult. I found it especially so with the vocals , doubling and harmonising took much longer than usual. Glad you enjoyed it!

@The Estuary (SWE)

Hi, ORIGINAL is GOOD! ;D ;). Glad you enjoyed it, yes I think the baseline is pivotal for the song and yet it was the easiest bit to write and play. Adding the keyboard chords meant lots of counting (and swearing ;))

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

@montydog
Hi Alan,No problem, I often comments on songs that I wouldn't listen to otherwise ;D. I think the time signature thing is something I'll have another go at, it seems to work, but inevitably any thing  written in a strange time signature will sound Proggy! Thanks for listening cool comments about the playing and production.

@MichaelA

Hi Michael, No Biffy here, but they do use unusual time signatures from time to time!Brevity is my middle name ;). Great comments, thanks so much!

And nobody mentioned the EQ on the hi hats ;D ;) 8) ::) :P

Cheers

Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
@Jamie by "deceptively simple" what I really meant was sounds simple to us but I bet it wasn't really!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »
Hola @Jamie
Sorry, I thought I had commented on your song but no...

The lyrics are powerful, simple words to describe so important things... I liked the chorus and the arrangement as well of your way of singing.

Take care, everything is true into that lie.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 08:09:55 AM »
Hell yes! Love the time sig and that bass! The vocals works extremely well in this context. Missing some guitars, esp in the chorus but everything else I fecking love!!!!!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »
Really cool one Jamie, very inventive... drew me in and I gave it several listens as there was plenty to explore.  Nice to hear you getting a little heavier than usual too.  I'm also wrestling with an unusual time sig at the minute but it is not sounding anywhere near as good as this one... Much respect!
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 03:49:34 PM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

@adamfarr
Hi Adam, yes it was fun to do but challenging!

@moraamarolaloba
Hi, glad you liked the lyric and the vocals!

@Jambrains
Hi, your comments made me laugh out loud! ;D. I did have more guitars in an earlier version, but I loved the simplicity/complexity of the bass riff and I didn't want to detract from that :P 8). I also wanted to do a longer guitar solo outro but my new found attention to keeping everything tight in the structure prevented me from indulging myself. ::) Played live it would definitely have more guitar in it!

Cheers!

Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
Hi all thanks for listening!

@Melusine2

Hi, Yep I'm pleased with the bass sound particularly.Glad you liked the harmonies!

@PaulyX
Hi,Thanks for the great comments, it's appreciated. Yes, trying a new time signature definitely took me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to create something very different for me! Good luck with yours I'm sure it will be challenging and inspirational!

Cheers!

Jamie