konalavadome

Reverie: Alien Genre Challenge

• 11 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:44:27 AM »
Here is my offering for the Alien Genre Challenge. It's been a load of fun and I had tons of help from @PaulAds , @cowparsleyman , and all my allies in the Friday night rowdy sessions. I really need to call this a collaboration, especially with cowparsleyman and PaulAds.

This has really been a stretch and it felt good. I need to do more crazy stuff.

Hear it at https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/trance-experiment

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
Hey there CaliaMoko...........sounds like the hustle and bustle at a busy airport.
Very energetic, to say the least.
It's a bit busy for me, however, at this late hour..............I need to get some sleep.
Good night! ;-)
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
An absolute delight to hear @CaliaMoko You have really pushed the boundaries and it also seems that you have had a whole heap of fun. It certainly fits the box, driving beat and spacey atmospherics which really does put you in a "Trance"

Top quality work  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
Hi Vicki this has really developed well since its first inception. I really like the slow fade in and the incessant nature of the riffing and the beat, very hypnotic. The production is polished too, just 'full' enough too.

That false ending really caught me out! Great stuff that you went out of your comfort zone and embraced the genre wholeheartedly. Another fine contribution to our collection for this challenge.  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »
Yeah...top work, Vicki :)

You went to town on this and pulled a real cracker.

One of the most impressive songs in the challenge and one that must have taken you so far out of your comfort zone...i was very happy to have been a very small part of it.

You've done amazing with this. Congratulations!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Fabulous stuff - sounds like the real thing to me! Plenty of interest all through. I slightly preferred the part before the stop with the dancier drums, but it's a great achievement and it's been great to see how it evolved from the beginning.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 12:16:06 PM »
@CaliaMoko - Dig This, You've done wonders on this, as @PaulAds says, glad to be a tiny part of it.

Love the cello idea.

Rich

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
@CaliaMoko

Hi guys, nice collaboration,comfort zone evacuated! It is what it's supposed to be, nice one! 8) I too, liked the strings (cellos?)

Cheers
Jamie

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
Hi Vicki,
It certainly fits the bill - very effective but I missed your voice. Maybe you could have put some samples of you singing in it or maybe they don't do that in trance records - I wouldn't know as I've never listened to one before :-)
M

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
@IronKnee : Thanks for the listen! I admit trance is not my thing, but it was very interesting to do.

@pompeyjazz : Thank you, John. It was fun, though I don't know if I would want to try trance again. Something else I've never done, though, maybe.

@MichaelA : Thanks! I really can't take credit for the false ending, but it is kind of a cool touch...not something I would have thought of on my own. One of the benefits of the forum and willing collaborators!

@PaulAds : Small part? You're so modest! It was very most definitely out of my comfort zone.

@adamfarr : Thank you! It certainly has been quite a process.

@cowparsleyman : Tiny part? You guys crack me up! I listened to a lot of loops before I found that cello, which started the whole thing.

@Jamie : Yes, cello. Cellos have a sound I really like. Thanks!

@montydog : I did consider using my own voice, but I was told repeatedly that trance has no vocals, so I suppose I was actually pushing it by using the robotic voices. I'll just have to get busy on something new, something that DOES have real words.

A big thank you to everyone who listened! This was quite an experience!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »

Hey Viki

Hope all is well ;D.  BIG respect for this. Quite an accomplishment. I do like this trance stuff, and have played around with it a bit, but I've never completed the course ;D
 I do like the monotony and repetition of it all, but I think it's a genre best appreciated in a club where the volume is so loud that it shakes the floor, and you've got a head full of
 booze and drugs.......but then, I'm a cynical old man, so what do I know ;D ;D

Great work Viki, and well done Paul and Rich, for stepping up... ;D
 Stay safe guys.

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »
Hi Vicki.

Well it certainly sounds like what I imagined Trance to sound like.....a slow build to the main hypnotic bit. Those snare rolls break up the insistent beat nicely and keep it moving. A lot of subtle rhythmic stabby stuff going on there too which gets under your skin. The percussive vocal bits all add to it...didn't know Trance didn't have vocals..but I like to hear some vocals myself of any sort!

Nice build up to the 'Ha!' and the stop at 4 minutes or so.
The outro is a bit unsettling after you lulled me into that trance!
Great job Vicki.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer