May Song Of The Month - Finalists - Voting closes End of June

• 33 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: June 11, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
Just want to let you know that I've contacted Boydie to see if there could be an easy way to filter the valid May postings, unfortunately this doesn't seem possible in the short term. Please bear with me while I go through the 32 songs with posts in May, some might have been posted before May.

Watch this post for more details

Rich
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:15:44 AM by cowparsleyman »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:22:05 AM »
Hi @cowparsleyman, I was just experimenting and managed to find 34 postings of songs using this site's hidden search function. Hope that is OK @Boydie, just trying to be helpful

In your browser type songwriterforum.co.uk/search

When that page comes up, under the search box click 'advanced search'

In the advanced search box type 'soundcloud'.

Under message age select 12 & 43 days to get you into May results only

Then use the menu function that allows you to select which board you want to search by unchecking all boards except 'feedback on finished songs'

Click the search button

Repeat using the search term 'soundclick' and then 'youtube' to include the minority of songs that aren't published on Soundcloud

The results displayed seem to be the first postings for each song introduced by the writer.

Does all that tally with your list? Cheers.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:27:43 AM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
@MichaelA - Thanks for this Michael, I did it the long way, looking at all songs with last post > 01/05/2020 and looking at the original post to see when it was posted, so I'm happy that I've captured them all.

Now to listen to them again.....

See you tonight ...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
@cowparsleyman, glad you've got them all anyway. Using 'advanced search' might help future hosts do a quicker job. Although the hardest and longest bit is listening to 'em all, I agree! Good luck with that!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
Thanks @MichaelA

Hope that is OK @Boydie, just trying to be helpful

Absolutely!!! - thank you  :-*

I had been discussing with @tone the option of adding a "date thread started" filter - I found some code but was too scared to fiddle for fear of breaking something!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
Boy that was difficult to choose, so many really good songs, I really enjoyed re listening to all of them,  I think Karen said it once that one feels terrible for the songs that didn't get to the shortlist, as the quality and originality was just fantastic, so many apologies to those artists for their songs that I didn't pick...

As this is a Song Writing forum,  I considered the structure, originality, catchiness, performance, lyrics but not the production, since  a great song is a great song, whatever the production.

Here are the finalists for May. It was interesting to see a couple of songs had their links removed, I wonder why?

The Nerve - @Andyb  - Excellent punchy Punk blast - beautiful melody - superhooky

Brutalise - @digger72 - Haunting original Indy - builds wonderfully

I'm your man - @Sebandme  - Sincerely, crafted ballad, plenty of space, super hooky chorus, rare vocal delivery

Trapped - @Jamie - Epic and original, likes the distinct movements

Never not together - @PaulAds - Excellent hooky tune, driving Pop tune

Chase the Sea - @Grubstar - Happy poppy and infectious, clever writing

Sheila of the worms - @PopTodd - Such a clever idea, a great song, well delivered
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/sheila-of-the-worms

..So there it is, enjoy and best of luck to all contestants...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Please send me a PM with your vote...vote only for your top 3 songs, 3 points for top place, 2 for second etc...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:40:07 AM by cowparsleyman »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
Thanks for the nomination Rich, some great tunes!

Cheers
Jamie

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the nomination.
Some really great tunes here and it's super cool to be considered among them. Appreciate it.

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
Hi CPM
Many thanks for the nomination, totally unexpected its really made my day. All the tunes nominated are great so its doubly nice to be included in such an esteemed roll call.Cheers.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »
I wonder if nobody is listening to mine because it's on Bandcamp, or if it's just that nobody is listening, period?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »
I don't think it's anything to do with where you've put it, there is usually an underwhelming response to these SOTM competitions, maybe 20 responses if you're lucky.

Rich

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 06:40:48 PM »
Bummer.
Although, I do have to admit that I am guilty more often than not.
I'll try to remember to be more active, in general. (I tend to be active here in spurts)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
Great picks, Rich @cowparsleyman and thanks for the opportunity to add another wooden spoon to my already impressive kitchen utensil collection.

I thought I'd treat myself to another listen to all the entries before voting... and what a tasty bunch they are.

I also checked the threads to make sure that I'd commented on the songs by everyone else who has been nominated...and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd already done so. I thought they were all top quality.

To be perfectly honest with everyone, I'd feel like a bit of a clown if I didn't bother much with the other folks songs...but expected them to listen and/or comment and/or vote for mine.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter