konalavadome

New song-Minor victories

• 22 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
Hi all, a new song for your invaluable comments! It's a rock song, it's lyrical origins are in a couple of non fiction books I read recently. One written by a psychologist and the other by a scientist who writes on evolution. There both well known authors. They made me think about different elements of life. Although our ancestors may go back millions of years, in the grand scheme of things in respect of time we are newly arrived. Also in the book by the psychologist he referenced the fact that we are governed at some level by reactions, responses and things we learned many millennia ago, and we don't even necessarily recognise them any more as there are buried in the oldest parts of our brains. Anyway, that's what led me to write this little lyric as it made me feel close to my ancestors who relatively recently would have been sitting in a forest somewhere waiting to be eaten by something scary......

Maybe another Covid song.....

I look forward to your normal erudite comments!

Cheers
Jamie

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/minor-victories-1

Based on some very good advice I've remixed the song with the compression suggested and some automation on the vocals......

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/minor-victories-remix

Minor victories

Hiding in the forest it's mystery inspires
Gazing at the moonlight that bathes its silver spires

Who is in the shadows what is hiding there
The stars look down upon us and shelter our despair

Chorus
Starlight falls upon us
Through the solar storms
Gravity pursues us
And wraps us in her arms

All our minor victories just delay the day
Inevitable outcome always comes our way

Chorus

We can be afraid together
Round the burning fire
We can be afraid together
Round the burning fore

We can be afraid together......

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 04:15:49 PM by Jamie »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:38 PM »
Very atmospheric @Jamie I love that wonky sounding synth and great synth pads. The heavy guitar is really menacing. Your vocal work is as usual, outstanding. Maybe your vocals got a bit overwhelmed when the heavy guitar kicked in. Another top quality song from you sir   :)

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:08 AM »
Quite the stage you set! some very cool sounds happening here, John is spot on
regarding the vocals. a bit of adjustment there and its great work Jamie :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Your the champ at writing scary songs.. :) heavy guitar works well in the song, I agree with John regarding the vocals getting a bit lost sometimes though...good work mate!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
This song verges on being huge. I love the way the instrumentation builds so dynamically and the lyrical concept REALLY resonates with me. As others have mentioned, if you could get your vocals out front a bit more it would really take this song to another level.

From an engineering perspective, consider routing the backing track to a bus and compressing it carefully with a compressor that is keyed by the vocal track. That would make the instruments duck under the vocals when they are there.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
This song verges on being huge. I love the way the instrumentation builds so dynamically and the lyrical concept REALLY resonates with me. As others have mentioned, if you could get your vocals out front a bit more it would really take this song to another level.

From an engineering perspective, consider routing the backing track to a bus and compressing it carefully with a compressor that is keyed by the vocal track. That would make the instruments duck under the vocals when they are there.

This is good advice Jamie, but don't include the drums and bass
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »

Hi guys, thanks for listening!

You will see that I've posted two versions of the song.I added the second mix after making the changes expressed by the first few comments I received, thanks for the feedback! I hope I've captured the ideas?

@pompeyjazz
Hi John,thanks for your kind words John, I wasn't sure if the synth was a bit too Scooby Doo ;). I liked it though//// ::). I've altered the mix re your comments.

@Bostonfan2
Hi, Great comment thanks, I hope I've captured the necessary change in the remix?

@shadowfax
Hi Kev, I don't set out to do scary songs,,,it just happens ;D. as you can see I've relied it and posted it again at the top of the thread.

@Unclenny
Hi, love the comments, thanks. I've taken your advice and remixed it,I wouldn't have thought to do this, thanks for the tip! Not sure if I've been too heavy handed with it, but it sounds better to me,Oh and I automated the vocals a little to boost them in the chorus.

Great comments guys thanks for the feedback!

CHeers

Jamie

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
don't include the drums and bass

Good idea.

Love the remix @Jamie . This song really is huge.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
@jamie - very nice, love the opening guitar strums, they are on their own a hook, Vox are super, still getting lost in the M8 and after, there are a couple ways of hearing what level Vox should be, as one does tend to get rather used to the levels when in the mixing phase, I tend listen to hit songs in either the car, or in a noisey environment, you'll pretty much lose a lot of the other instruments and the LVox will still be heard, another (common) way is to listen through monitors with the door shut and listening from the next room. Often a couple of dB makes a big difference.

I occasionally use a plugin called Trackspacer, when configured correctly it detects the frequencies that are clashing with the LVox and pushes them down, thus making space for the LVox, it's a bit more surgical than a sidechain compressor and doesn't affect all frequencies (although s/c does normally have a filter by which you can stop it affecting those frequencies)

Nomally though I have the LVox quite high, and on occasion been criticised here for it, but I'm OK generally with the "Louder than you think" level of the LVox.

...sorry bit of a side track there, your song Jamie is first rate and as always has some superb layers and production.

Hope this helps

Rich

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Hi Jamie a very atmospheric  song whiuch I really enjoyed. Great vocals and I thought the lyrics were especially  well written and structured.I also really like the way you use the synths  and effects to create this eerie backdrop interspersed with the heavy guitar chords.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
Great song Jamie, I can't really add much to the technical comments, my only thought was that the heavier guitars could have been a bit heavier and more in your face.  Like it though!

I was really interested in the comments from @Unclenny (as I don't understand enough about buses!) so I think I'll lift them and ask some questions in the recording section.

Cheers
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »
Hi Jame I had an LP, name escapes me, by the Moody Blues when I was a kid and some of the elements here remind me of that, in a good way of course. Esp the choir and dreamy synth pads.

You've created quite a mystic sound there which suits your epic, historic lyrical theme, which all helps with the thought provoking magic.

Once you've built it up I still think your vocals are a bit lost in that loudest section. I never send anything on a bus though. So common. Much prefer a taxi.  ;) I'll get me coat...

Lovely vocals really shine through on this. All round a really interesting composition and the whole feel of the thing really suited you!  :D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
Very dramatic @Jamie - such atmosphere throughout to match the mood of that great lyric.. I've also followed the bus / mix comments with much interest as I've been avoiding the old bus thing as long as I've been mixing.. You've done a great job here.. Love the l/r on the outro - it's fab!

Lovely snappy, catchy.. impressive stuff, sir! Loved it!

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »
Hi Jamie

Very lovely indeed. Super vocals and the whole thing is unmistakably you.

I'm always amazed that you're able to pitch your vocals so perfectly around those unusual chord changes...I suspect I'd be distracted so much, my vocals would be all over the place trying to sing one of your songs (not that I'd have the nerve to ever try)

I really enjoyed the lyric and the idea behind it too...the song seems to say an awful lot without needing so many words.

Brilliant. Again :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »
Always look forward to your tracks Jamie and this one doesn't disappoint either  ;D
Great vox as usual and the whole thing has a Distopian feel.
Love how the chord change at the start of the chorus creates a lift.
Good job!
Paul