Bass synth trick

• 0 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »
As with all these tip/tricks etc, there will be many that know this, but I thought I'd share anyway...

Getting a really kicking synth bass can be really tricky, so here's how I do it. (I used this technique on 25 to life)

I often use 3 or 4 synths that are renowned for their bass - Oberheim SEM, OBX, Moog Mini or Modular for example are all excellent, then I might add a Bass Gtr either real or MIDI to had some pluck (you'd never think there was Gtr on the bass).

All playing from the same MIDI file.

I probably won't put any fx on any of these tracks, but I would send them to a submix buss, then on that I'd stick a sub bass plugin such as bx_subsynth, or Waves LoAir, but not much, then on the master buss I'll pop a master compressor my bx_Townhouse, then next is the L3 ultramaximiser again by Waves (Yip I know it's another comp/limiter but it works for me) , just a tad, bring it up so you notice it, then take it back down a tad.

What it does tend to do is to really squash the dynamic range, and technically everything is wrong, Loudness at 8 lufs, even without  the additional compression that streaming sites enforce I'm finding this works really well for me...

Hope this helps.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:05:56 PM by cowparsleyman »