Frontline - Echo Dogs

• 14 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »
For my last song, I explained that I wanted something that reflected some of the things going on around us.  I had a good idea how I wanted it to sound but the song that came out of the left over lyrics, Names Become Numbers, was probably the better of the two.

So here is the other half of that combination, completely different in terms of sound but with a similar political emphasis.  I do really like it despite preferring the previous one, I think one of the issues i have here is the vocal, It's a harder song for me to sing and no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get it perfect.

As ever, interested in comments on all aspects.

Cheers

Pete

Verse 1
We’ve heard it all before
They just, chose to ignore
Ignorance will appease
It’s a national disease

Verse 2
Now we can’t even protect
Aftermath of neglect
Choices we shouldn’t have made
Come back to haunt us again

Pre-Chorus
Apathy will breed only contempt
The less we know feel more at ease

Chorus
It’s no help when you’re fighting on the frontline for your life
No it’s no help when you’re fighting on the frontline for your life

Verse 3
Isolation in life
Lead to beating the wife
Friendly neighbourhood
Stockpile first world goods

Pre-Chorus

Chorus

Mid 8
Now we need a reaction
Need a change in direction
Must be more, more than a vague distraction
Out of death there must be some new good intention

Verse 4
Put faith in, those we elect
Now it’s time to reject
Fulfil promises made
Make sure they don’t get delayed

Verse 5
Support those in key roles
Those who are saving our souls
Be prepared to pay
Don’t let it fade away

Pre-Chorus

Chorus/Ending
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:07:43 PM »
Like it, Pete

Yeah...sounds like it would be a bit of a Alan B'stard to sing. I think it's those fairly large intervals at the start of the verses that'd trip me up for sure...tricky and something (else) my voice is not very good at  :P

I think the drums are sounding pretty good here...could have been a little heavier perhaps, but hardly even worth a mention...oops...too late  Sounds like an improvement to my ears from what I remember last time out...so good work there.

I really like that little acoustic lead break that appears at the start and then reappears here and there...that's excellent.

Enjoyed the lyrics again...your mate did another great job there...I worry about being the forum bore when it comes to social/political dissaffection...so I'm really pleased to have someone else stood outside the headmasters office with me, in case he fancies giving somebody six of the best just to see if he can still raise the flag...or whatever else they used to get out of it....

That acapella bit at the end was brilliant too. Top work!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
Yes, this was really good Pete. I got a kind of "Smiths" feel to it. I think it might be that loopy bass line. Well sung as well and as Paul says it must have been pretty difficult. Good harmonies as well. Very effective at the end. Interesting lyrics and nice tight drums. Great to hear the variety in your songs. Top stuff chaps :)

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 04:30:16 AM »
@PeteS  I really liked it lyrically was stong...like @pompeyjazz definitely has a smiths feel which is not a bad thing at all. Thought the production was top notch too

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
Hola @PeteS

I love the sound, the guitars, the base, and your voice. The melody has a fantastic rhythmic sense and the lyrics are very of todays'.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »
Like it, Pete

Yeah...sounds like it would be a bit of a Alan B'stard to sing. I think it's those fairly large intervals at the start of the verses that'd trip me up for sure...tricky and something (else) my voice is not very good at  :P

I think the drums are sounding pretty good here...could have been a little heavier perhaps, but hardly even worth a mention...oops...too late  Sounds like an improvement to my ears from what I remember last time out...so good work there.

I really like that little acoustic lead break that appears at the start and then reappears here and there...that's excellent.

Enjoyed the lyrics again...your mate did another great job there...I worry about being the forum bore when it comes to social/political dissaffection...so I'm really pleased to have someone else stood outside the headmasters office with me, in case he fancies giving somebody six of the best just to see if he can still raise the flag...or whatever else they used to get out of it....

That acapella bit at the end was brilliant too. Top work!
Thanks @PaulAds You have nothing bto worry about when it comes to being alone one the social/political disaffection with us.  I think Neil can only write love/break up lyrics or Political ones.  ;D. Fortunately we agree on most of it!

It is probably the hardest part of any song I have sung, makes you wonder why I wrote it that way!

Thanks for the positive comments

Cheers

Pete
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
Yes, this was really good Pete. I got a kind of "Smiths" feel to it. I think it might be that loopy bass line. Well sung as well and as Paul says it must have been pretty difficult. Good harmonies as well. Very effective at the end. Interesting lyrics and nice tight drums. Great to hear the variety in your songs. Top stuff chaps :)
Thanks @pompeyjazz.  Can't hear the Smiths myself, but then I never liked them that much so I'm probably not that familiar with their stuff.  Johnny can certainly write a good riff though!

Cheers

Pete

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 12:32:11 PM »
@PeteS  I really liked it lyrically was stong...like @pompeyjazz definitely has a smiths feel which is not a bad thing at all. Thought the production was top notch too

Thanks @Sebandme.  Production was probably easier on this one as it's a pretty simple track, musically, so glad you liked it.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
Hola @PeteS

I love the sound, the guitars, the base, and your voice. The melody has a fantastic rhythmic sense and the lyrics are very of todays'.

Thanks for the positive comments @moraamarolaloba.   Really appreciated.

Cheers

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 09:19:39 AM »
Great sound on this one - vocals especially and acoustic guitars. Catchy and breezy. Drums came over slightly "clicky" (kick I think) - perhaps could be less busy as the acoustic already has a percussive texture.

Some really good lines too: Aftermath of neglect... Stockpile first world goods. And the title/chorus. Says it all without saying it all. Great song.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
@PeteS

Hi,
     A very 'folky' type of song with the lyric and the relatively simple backing track, gave it an authentic feel reminiscent, to me at least, of Billy Bragg. Nice vocals.

Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »
@PeteS

Hi,
     A very 'folky' type of song with the lyric and the relatively simple backing track, gave it an authentic feel reminiscent, to me at least, of Billy Bragg. Nice vocals.

Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie
Thanks Jamie, not sure it's folky but appreciate the Billy Bragg reference!

Cheers

Pete

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
Great sound on this one - vocals especially and acoustic guitars. Catchy and breezy. Drums came over slightly "clicky" (kick I think) - perhaps could be less busy as the acoustic already has a percussive texture.

Some really good lines too: Aftermath of neglect... Stockpile first world goods. And the title/chorus. Says it all without saying it all. Great song.
Thanks Adam, I can only claim the main Chorus line as mine, the rest are my lyric partners words, some of his best in here though. 

I think I know what you mean about the drums, I wanted it to have more drive than just the acoustic, but maybe a little too much?

Cheers

Pete

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
Pete - this is excellent. The last thing you want on a vocal is perfection and you do a mighty fine job. Love the light, clear and crisp production. The them is very pertinent for these times but the message is also timeless - very clever.
I must say that I thought this was a breath of fresh air - effortlessly classy and radio friendly.

M

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 03:39:49 PM »
Pete - this is excellent. The last thing you want on a vocal is perfection and you do a mighty fine job. Love the light, clear and crisp production. The them is very pertinent for these times but the message is also timeless - very clever.
I must say that I thought this was a breath of fresh air - effortlessly classy and radio friendly.

M
Wow, Thanks @montydog really appreciate that, it is one that felt important message wise so I wanted the vocal to be as good as I could get it.

Cheers.