konalavadome

Ever have a song that does your head in!!!!!

• 16 Replies

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
I've been sat on this for about 13 months I just cant get back into it, I mean I like it I just cant finish it and it's making sad!! Haha anyone got any hope for it or is it something I'll just give up on. I've always thought it's to good to leave but at the same time I cant complete it. Soooooo annoying!

Any advice welcome I'd love to get it finish it.

Listen to Afraid of the Dark by Sebastian And Me on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sebastianandme/afraid-of-the-dark-1

Dont go chasing fairytales
They'll only kill your heart.
Dont go chasing shadows,
They'll only make you afraid of the dark, yeah!

Dont be afraid of the dark
Dont be afraid of the dark
Just turn your light on
Just turn your light on, light on

Andyb

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
This is way to good not to finish it reminds me a lot of the foals so maybe listen to them for some inspiration ? I can hear little harmonised short sharp oohs aahs maybe a bit like looking out for love by Fleetwood Mac ? Sometimes one little nugget of an idea or change is all that's needed to take it in a completely new direction... Good luck

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
Ahhhh good shout @Andyb I ll give foals a try they never sprung to mind but I think your right I could get some inspiration from that cheers! I'll keep trying:)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:16:47 AM »
Are you stuck and don't know where to go next? Do you have a storyline for it? Sometimes I try to outline the "story" first, in three steps. State the dilemma/problem. Come up with a solution. Report the outcome. Like, don't go chasing shadows/fairytales. Do something positive instead, like step into the sunshine or something. Outcome is maybe a brighter outlook on life.

Just some rambly thoughts which may or may not be helpful....

Phoenixazaria

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
This is definitely too good to just leave. I really like the verse you wrote. What exactly is it that you're struggling with because you could really go with that dark fairytale type of vibe and make something really special.

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:21:05 AM »
Thanks @CaliaMoko and @Phoenixazaria.

I need another verse, and something needs to happen in the middle where it currently sounds  like Ghostbusters theme tune. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to think out lyrics or story lines I've tried that many of times and always become stuck. when I write my lyrics its almost unconsciously I dont think, the words just come out lol if that makes hence when songs get left the moments past i find it soooooo difficult to go back and get into that space in my head, so this is actually a big challenge for me....sounds stupid I know.  Thanks for suggestions.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »
@Sebandme - can you come up with the idea that needs to happen without writing it into lyrics? What do you think happens next? Don't worry about the lyric yet, just whatever happens next.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 05:49:09 PM »
If you shouldn't be afraid of the dark and should put your light on... HOW?
That could be the bridge.

Also, what are some other things that you should or shouldn't do.
Why/How?

Just some questions to get you thinking about how to move forward... lyrically.

As to the music: may I recommend using Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies?
http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

Just pick a card and do what the card says -- your interpretation. There are no right or wrong ways to address the questions/problems that the cards pose. They are meant to inspire not to dictate.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:52:02 PM by PopTodd »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »
By the way, this is a really cool song that deserves to be finished.
You have a great Damon Albarn-like quailty to your voice and the song is a definite BritPop throwback, which I am a sucker for.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 05:54:17 PM »
OOH!
Music for the bridge!!!
At the end of what you have here, the music drops out... why not keep it like that? Just the beat and some minimalist backing -- feedback or a droning organ or something to back up your bridge? And at the end of the bridge, kick it back up -- LOUD -- with a guitar solo or something and then back into the chorus to the outro?

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
How you doing with this @Sebandme ?

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 10:16:00 PM »
@PopTodd thanks for all your suggestions.....my computer is away getting fixed as I cracked the screen on it (it's an imac) so it's been away for just over a week now :( so I've kinda just messing around on my acoustic playing with lyrics really. For such a short song I've found it my most challenging, saying that I have a shed load of unfinished songs Haha but this deserves to be finished. I'm hoping to up and running by end of next week all being well! I'll definitely give you and update once I have something to show you.

Thankyou for your support means alot :)

adamwolf

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 02:57:51 AM »
You definitely need to finish this. I guess just go back in your mind to what you wrote it about and just write and write until you write something you can work with for the other verse. Hoping to see it in the finished songs soon :"D
and though we cry
we must stay alive
let my blood only run out
when my world decides
there is no way out
of your only life
so run on...
run on

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 01:08:12 PM »