konalavadome

Alien Genre Challenge- Motown

• 4 Replies

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
This needs some imagination I`m afraid.  :)
The spinning wheel of the Alien Genre Challenge pointed its crusty finger at me for Motown or Mod.
I attempted to summon up the spirits of the legendary great Motown songwriters in the hope of inspiration. Unfortunately they weren`t in so I wrote this instead.
In an amazing act of monumental stupidity I decided to write a song for a Motown girl group. Only when I started recording did I realise I maybe sound nothing like Diana Ross.
This is the first time I`ve written a song from a womans perspective which can`t be a bad thing & I`ve started shaving my armpits.
Thank you to @pompeyjazz for the Alien Challenge idea and thanks to the other challengers for giving me a panic attack & forced me to write something when I heard their accomplished songs. This is far from accomplished. Apologees for all the bum notes & bad playing. On the slim chance there are any proper musicians who have the time or inclination to play please let me know. One month to go. And if anyones got the Supremes telephone numbers please..please..
Anyway thanks for listening (if you do).

With my Angels on the Street
I may be broke but I`m not broken
My spirits free & it has spoken.
I hoped that you`d grow some “cojones” but you took my heart & left me homeless.
Papas got a brand new handbag & mamas got a brand new toy while I`m hanging with my angels in the snow.
I`m making angels in the snow cos we`ve got nowhere to go.
I don`t know if the north wind blows in Los Angeles but it sure as hell does here.
Be a father not a cheat.
Take the chance & you could be.
Find me on the street..I´ll be the one that’s screaming.

Hope finds a way of being lied to.
Cheap lays & layabouts entice you.
You`re galavanting out there somewhere.
I`m up late reading books on childcare.
Papas got a brand new handbag & mamas got a brand new boy while I`m waiting with my angels on the street.

I`ve got my angels all around.
Somehow lost but never found.
I don`t know if the north wind blows in Los Angeles but it sure as hell does here.
Be a father not a cheat.
Take the chance & you could be.
Find me on the street..I´ll be the one that’s screaming.

Why are we wasting our young lives when these should really be the best days of our lifetime?
I`m with my angels on the street praying you`ll come back to me.
I´m a fool I`m not a clown & you`re dragging me down.
I don`t know if the north wind blows in Los Angeles but it sure as hell does here !!

https://soundcloud.com/theurbanmyths/with-my-angels-on-the-street-rough-first-draft

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
Brilliant stuff @5 guys named Lars It brought a great big smile to my face right from the start. Love the harmony work that you have done on this and great authentic Motown feel. I guess it needs some work on production but I see that you have it titled as a rough demo. I thought that this was fabulous  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:23:56 AM »
I like this. Very cute. I always love harmonies. My one suggestion would be maybe to have a little more variety in the melody. But that might be just me, so take it with a grain of salt. Nice and retro-sounding, which always works for me.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »
Thanks @pompeyjazz and @CaliaMoko for the nice words. Will try & get a better version (shouldn´t be difficult ;D) out by the end of the month.
 You`re probably right about the melody lines @CaliaMoko .I know its not the same thing but I didn`t want to listen to any Motown before writing but I read that they always wanted the singers in the girl groups to not deviate from the melody line & as I`ve got a flat voice anyway I have probably subconciously written something thats not very melodic. Will work on it & thank you for the good feedback. :)

Arthur_Satine

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 01:27:02 AM »
The track was removed, but lyrics is long and i like it. I like long titles, lyrics, songs. I hope you will upload it again.