konalavadome

Alien Genre Challenge-Trance Experiment

• 14 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
I had loads of help with this, and I can't remember who all helped me. @PaulAds for sure and, I'm pretty sure, @pompeyjazz but I can't remember who else...please remind me. I've been really distracted the past couple weeks with my dad in and out of the hospital (drama is winding down now--he's being discharged tomorrow).

Anyway, here it is, my Trance Experiment. I was "donated" several more tracks I haven't managed to figure out how to include, so if you think it needs more "stuff", I can go back and see if I can get more of them in without it getting too mushy sounding. I know vocals are not a trance thing, but I think that part works okay, and I assure you, it is not as campy as it started out.

https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/trance-experiment

Feedback I want: Is this enough? Is it too much? I know trance can go on for hours, but I limited it to five and half minutes on purpose. Other than that...whatever you notice, please let me know. I did nothing for production except try to add some reverb to some of the tracks but I don't think it worked. Oh, and I moved things right and left of center and it sounds pretty evenly divided to me, with only the drums, I think, still in the center.

What else should I do? Or redo? Or undo? Feel free to be really critical; I like having my stuff picked apart.

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
This whole Alien Genre challenge (Not competition !) has been an absolute revelation to listen to all of you guys working on something that you might not otherwise. I think it's also been pretty inspirational. Great to hear this from you Vicki, fascinating to hear you experiment. I'm sure that you would never have thought that you would be doing something like this a couple of months ago. I love the contrasting rhythms and the little bits of speech that you have dropped in. There's a kind of menacing hypnotic feel to this. Very trancy indeed  :) :) :)

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »
Hi
I think you have had a really good go at creating a trance track ( not that I really know what a trance track is) but I do like to listen to  EDM (Electronic Dance Music) occasionally. As such I thought the begining bass string orchestral samples were great however the high violin/synthpatch  sounded a bit weak to have playing throughout the track.

I also thought  the initial kick drum sounded good at the begining however this  seemed to quickly fade back in the mix and the drums did not really develop (snares, toms hi hats etc) I also think that you need a strong bass line in there that ties in with the kick and drives and supports the piece throughout.

I really liked the use of the vocal samples etc but again I thought they got a bit lost due to being mixed a bit too low.

I hope you dont think Im being too critical as I really admire what you have achieved with this track particularly as its probably put you out of your comfort zone. All the best and Im looking forward to MC CaliaMoko's next megamix.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »
@CaliaMoko
Hi Vicki, hope your dramas are over....I've said before that the guys who've had a go at this genre challenge have done really well, and that includes this song too! I can only applaud, as I'm not sure I can do any genre well enough ;D, let alone an alien one :P. My only comment would be that there needs to be a bass line thumping away at least some of the time.

Cheers
Jamie

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
The beginning had me in mind of a spy/thriller movie. Had a MI vibe going on. Nice one, Vicki!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »
Hi Vicky

I thought the synth was very ear-wormy and still have it going 'round in my head.
I think a bass would be good to add.
You really hit the brief on its head - so good effort there.
I've got you tied for first with two others at this point having heard only three :D

BTW - it's too short! :D
Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
@CaliaMoko  Diggit, all of it...especially the vox. It would be heaven on earth for stutter edit and riser....2 useful Edm plugins.

A couple of ideas i stick a filter something like soundtoys filter freak on the main hook in places to add contrast, they add colour.

I’d be happy to help...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
Vicki, great work, you hit the nail on the head there.
Thougts, just wondered whether you could strip it back down 2/3rds the way through and build it rip again.
Did you enjoy it?
Calvin Harris watch out.
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
Hi Vicky,

Love how you've been inspired into doing this.
Kind of trance meets Bomb The Bass.
Perhaps needs a few more samples thrown in - or maybe just need to be in rave to full appreciate.  :D

Digger

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
Hola @CaliaMoko

I find the track very interesting, the rhythm maintains the tension of all the instruments and the strings sing a sweet and nostalgic melody. May be the bass chords could have more presence to balance the high of the mix? 
Take care my dear, I hope you and yours are well. :)
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 12:46:55 AM »
This whole Alien Genre challenge (Not competition !) has been an absolute revelation to listen to all of you guys working on something that you might not otherwise. I think it's also been pretty inspirational. Great to hear this from you Vicki, fascinating to hear you experiment. I'm sure that you would never have thought that you would be doing something like this a couple of months ago. I love the contrasting rhythms and the little bits of speech that you have dropped in. There's a kind of menacing hypnotic feel to this. Very trancy indeed  :) :) :)

@pompeyjazz - Indeed, I never expected to do anything like this ever. Any may never again, but it's been interesting. I'm glad I still have a month to refine it.

...As such I thought the begining bass string orchestral samples were great however the high violin/synthpatch  sounded a bit weak to have playing throughout the track. I also thought  the initial kick drum sounded good at the begining however this  seemed to quickly fade back in the mix and the drums did not really develop (snares, toms hi hats etc) I also think that you need a strong bass line in there that ties in with the kick and drives and supports the piece throughout.

I really liked the use of the vocal samples etc but again I thought they got a bit lost due to being mixed a bit too low.

I hope you dont think Im being too critical as I really admire what you have achieved with this track particularly as its probably put you out of your comfort zone. All the best and Im looking forward to MC CaliaMoko's next megamix.

@Grubstar - I *love* criticism I can get my teeth into. I was already thinking the kick drum was getting lost, and I think I've fixed that (can't remember if I've posted that update yet). I've raised the bass line, but it still doesn't sound like enough to me, so I'll probably revisit that again yet. It's hard to choose a level for the vocal samples. When they get loud enough, they immediately sound too loud to me. I'll have to play with it some more.

@CaliaMoko
Hi Vicki, hope your dramas are over....I've said before that the guys who've had a go at this genre challenge have done really well, and that includes this song too! I can only applaud, as I'm not sure I can do any genre well enough ;D, let alone an alien one :P. My only comment would be that there needs to be a bass line thumping away at least some of the time.

@Jamie - I'm thinking the dramas will never be over, but they will make me strong, right??!! I plan to work on a bass line yet. Fortunately, I still have a month to work on it.

The beginning had me in mind of a spy/thriller movie. Had a MI vibe going on. Nice one, Vicki!

@Sterix - Thanks, Martin!

I thought the synth was very ear-wormy and still have it going 'round in my head.
I think a bass would be good to add.
You really hit the brief on its head - so good effort there.
I've got you tied for first with two others at this point having heard only three :D

BTW - it's too short! :D

@Paulski - Ear wormy. I like the sound of that. :) Working on the bass. Well, *planning* to work on the bass....  Too short, yeah, I know. I could always grab the ends of the tracks and drag them out several inches.... ;D

@CaliaMoko  Diggit, all of it...especially the vox. It would be heaven on earth for stutter edit and riser....2 useful Edm plugins.

A couple of ideas i stick a filter something like soundtoys filter freak on the main hook in places to add contrast, they add colour.

I’d be happy to help...

@cowparsleyman - Thanks! And that sounds like an offer I can't refuse. I don't even know those words, except "colour" (although I spell it color  :P)

Vicki, great work, you hit the nail on the head there.
Thougts, just wondered whether you could strip it back down 2/3rds the way through and build it rip again.
Did you enjoy it?
Calvin Harris watch out.
:-)

@Neil C - Things like "stripping down" and "building up" never seem to go well for me. Which means, this would be good practice. And, as I've mentioned...I still have a month. Thanks! And yes, I am enjoying this. So much that I'm going to try another genre soon (maybe rap??) I had to look up Calvin Harris....

Love how you've been inspired into doing this.
Kind of trance meets Bomb The Bass.
Perhaps needs a few more samples thrown in - or maybe just need to be in rave to full appreciate.  :D

@digger72 - Thanks! Yeah, I never would have tried it otherwise. More samples? Uffda! I can't keep track of what I have. I don't know how people manage to organize gazillions of tracks. If I have five, I keep getting lost. Who knows what might happen, though? I still have a month.

I find the track very interesting, the rhythm maintains the tension of all the instruments and the strings sing a sweet and nostalgic melody. May be the bass chords could have more presence to balance the high of the mix? 

@moraamarolaloba - Hope to have better bass by the end of June. Thanks for the nice remarks!

And thank you to everyone who has listened. This is turning out to be quite an adventure!

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Hey @CaliaMoko .......cool track. Listening on the monitors as I start my day and this is giving me the feeling that I'll be able to march right through anything today.  8)

Agree with the above comments about a strong bass line and with what @Grubstar mentioned about the kick. Perhaps you could automate the kick to get stronger at times for some dynamic focus in the absence of the bass.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Now I have NO idea how trance should sound.. but this sounds right!!! I would never ever even try something like this so I am somewhat in awe!! If you were Irish or in Ireland, you'd be hearing a chorus of "Good Woman!"s..

So ..... Good Woman!!

K

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
Hi Vicki,

Love the bowed strings that run through the song, very ear wormy. I think you've nailed the trance thing perfectly. If I'm being picky, I'd say the bass needs more err..bass! The drums/percussion is also a little lacking in kick. Sort that out and a good track would be great - everything else is smashing.
M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »
Great work Vicky! I'm not a dance expert and I think you have some good comments above. But it's an impressive feat already and your introduction of different elements works really well. Great response to a hard challenge.