konalavadome

Let's Not Go Back

• 14 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: May 21, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
The inevitable lockdown lament. It started off as a bit of a love song, and turned into a reflection on whether we might take this opportunity to avoid returning to some of the crimes committed against the planet and each other.

Warning: may contain preachiness (especially coming from someone who is able to work from home, in a nice house in Spain with a wine fridge).

Still, it's what I feel like saying today, so there you have it, and all comments welcome.

Let's Not Go Back

CH
Let’s not go back
Together we make the world outside disappear
Let's not go back
We found we've everything we ever needed right here

V1
Will we change nothing?
A little more nature
A little less waste
Have we learned nothing?
A little less hate
A little more appreciation

Will we change nothing?
Don’t stand for corruption
But let’s keep on clapping
Have we learned nothing?
Less money grabbing
A little more compassion

PRE1
They say everything’s got to go back to normal some day
But I say maybe we shouldn't go back all the way

CH

V2
Will we change nothing?
More time with the sunrise
And less with their lies
Have we learned nothing?
More friends to surprise
And less merchandize

Will we change nothing?
Think before sharing
All those tabloid scares
Have we learned nothing?
Forget billionaires
Just remember those that cared

PRE2
They say everything’s got to go back to normal some day
But I'm not sure anyone really preferred it that way

CH

(c) Adam Farr, 2020, all rights reserved

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
Hi Adam, “they say everything’s got to go back to normal someday...but I say maybe we shouldn’t go back all the way.” Those are my fave lines and are probably how a lot of us feel. 😄👍🏻

Man, I could hear a chorus of voices in....the chorus...of chorus!😆🤦🏼‍♂️(Sorry! That was bad!🤪) If it we’re my song I’d experiment with vocal layers/harmonies and making it sound like you are a whole football stadium singing! (A very small stadium!😆)

Must have felt good to get all that out in a song? Good job mate.🎶👊🏻🎶

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
Great lyric and excellent sentiment behind it.

The "Global Pandemic" probably gave humanity a chance to stop careering towards oblivion and re-evaluate things...but I'm afraid I've no confidence that we're collectively anything like that sensible. In fact, it's probably more likely to be an opportunity for those at the top to accelerate the demise of the 99% and re-fashion the world more to their liking...which I've every confidence they're all over like a cheap suit. The bastards.

I thought the whispered bits were very effective...and the clapping is inspired. Bass was simple but made a very nice contribution too. Guitar playing is very nicely done and sounds excellent.

I really liked the way that you delivered the vocal...repeating the questions and seeming to answer them in turn just with the somewhat resigned inflection in your voice.

If I had to fill a spaceship with people I'd take to start life again on a different planet just before this shambles finally goes tits up...I'd save you a couple of seats for sure.

A great thought-provoking listen...I enjoyed it a lot!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
Brilliant Adam, brought a wide smile to my face which is quite odd I suppose, it being a lockdown song. Nice sentiment though, much of which I agree with.

It's a catchy and simple melody that gets stuck in your head pretty easily, yeah it would make a great lockdown singalong song. I agree, maybe bring on more voices at the end and it could be the song for Lockdown that Three Lions was for Euro 96! (Is that a good thing though?)  ;D

I really like that handclap rhythm (no not handcuffs auto-correct, damn you). Adds the Q word to it all and makes it seem very humanly vulnerable in a kind of lo fi way.

Mainly though I am just jealous of your wine fridge.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:46:06 PM »
Hola @adamfarr

Those chords of that guitar and those claps are the perfect contrast for the seriousness of your lyrics. Everything seems like a dance within a dance, like life. You are right in everything.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »
I like this--great lyrics! And the claps. Love it. Especially in the chorus, I kept hearing harmonies in my head, so I'd love to hear a version of this with some of those. That's it from me.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 08:49:57 PM »
Loved the Andalusian hand claps, a touch of flamenco to underpin the song. I thought this was fabulous @adamfarr I do hope that the world is a bit more caring and sharing after this shitstorm but I have a funny cynical feeling that some fat cats are going to make aheap of dosh out of it. Fabulous song Adam

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 07:05:57 AM »
@adamfarr great song I thought lyrically was very good and enjoyed the listen.  Enjoyed the claps and whispers at the start I thought that was pretty cool!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
@adamfarr - fine song Adam, do they clap for the Spanish carers over there? I was wondering how elaborate that could be if organised ...

A catchy hook and i really dig the fancy rhythm of the first line

Great idea and well executed

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »
Hi Adam
A very nicely produced polemic extolling the more positive aspects of the lockdown as you see it. I really liked the acoustic guitar sound and the (flamenco style?) clapping and you deliver the vocals very clearly and  forcefully .I enjoyed it.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »
@adamfarr
Hi Adam, poetic lyric, which echoed many peoples thoughts.....Nice song, and as I've said before your playing and production has come a long way 8).

Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »
Interesting theme and lyric.. A topic of some discussion around here too.... I suspect that it the virus vanished in a flash tomorrow that that we would change very little and have learned next to nothing... Since that's not going to happen it will be interesting to see what changes will stick / how our lives will be different...

Love the arrangement - the clapping (some influence from your lovely Spanish haven?) and the whispering are great. And the lyric is the star.. very clever...

Great to hear a new song from you..

K

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
Hi Adam,

Made me think of Merry Xmas by Lennon and Yoko for some reason.
I'm a big fan of Lennon - so a good thing in my book.

I like the sentiment. Would be good if folk did reevaluate what really matters - but I doubt the majority of us will. (Me included. I'll still buy lots of things I don't really need which I was able to go without during the lockdown.)

Digger

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
Hi Adam,

Some great ideas in here - the claps, whispers and so on and I agree totally with the sentiment of the song and I love the strummed acoustic guitars. I think some variation in the lead vocal by layering, double tracking and harmonies would improve it. Still it's clever and thoughtful.
M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for commenting on this - I really wanted to get it out at the material time so it's great that it was generally approved of. I think I may go back over some of the vocals as quite a few noted - possibly the entire football field wouldn't quite be the right message but for sure some more polish and layers would be worthwhile.

BTW guitar is a clean strat (type), joined later on by an acoustic. Clean electric guitars are underrated IMHO!

Over 100 listens in the Ukraine as well. Clearly struck a nerve...

Thanks everyone. Next stop the Alien Grime challenge.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:30:38 PM by adamfarr »