Alien Genre Challenge - Jazz Punk Mashup

• 18 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »
This little challenge is turning out to be a whole lot of fun for sure.

What a fabulous couple of categories got thrown at me by the wheel of fortune. As I've done both Jazz and Punk in the past, I thought  that I would have a bit of a crack at mashing the two genres up. I couldn't find hardly any examples of this having been done but I guess it has. Anyway, it's a bit free form - Had a hugely enjoyable time writing and recording it and hopefully a little bit off the wall

First considered something nasty
When working on a rhinoplasty
Did some special tests for lady guests
Synthetic sculptures
Worked into their chests

Oh – But it all went wrong
And it took far too long
Alternative diagnosis
Was his considered prognosis

Nothing appeared to be wrong
But he could sing a different song
He kind of enjoyed preparation
For yet another false operation

Oh yeah – There was nothing wrong
But it made him feel oh so strong
Another treatment
It's bad disease – Yeah !

Show moved on to another theatre
Different actors set the scene
All unravelled to the bench
Arguments put to the test

Oh Yeah ! It was all so wrong
Nobody would sing your song
They paid your fees
For bad disease – Yeah !

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
original sounds fusion. creative song for sure :), crazy.
Like the guitar solos.
Alien challenge is a great topic, I'll try to follow it

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
Hi John, this is a great showpiece for your creativity as a musician and songwriter. I can only think of Ian Dury and The Blockheads playing live where I've ever heard anything like this being even attempted. That free form section in the middle is a real joy to my ears, kind of structured chaos and showing that both Jazz and Punk have in common an untamed side to them. You really went with the flow and achieved an amazing fusion of styles.

The lyrics topic kind of fits too, someone who brought chaos to people's lives.

I bet you're a bit sad it's done and dusted now. I could see you revisiting this in the future however. It would be a shame to lose this creative angle to your work. Bravo!

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »
Blimey! This is different. You show an incredible level of expertise and imagination with this which is to be applauded. Not really for me but I have to admire the talent  it took to create it.

M

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
Feck - what a lot of work this must have been.
I loved every second of it - like sitting in a nightclub states-side hoping no-one noticed I was under age and got in with a fake driver's license. :D
Sorry I digress!

Excellent track John - the bar's so high now think I'm just gonna limbo it. :D

Paul

OleAnders

• Busker
  • Ole Anders Walseth
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
Nice job trying to pair punk (3 chord music) with jazz. The jazz saxophone I think should be a natural addition to all punk songs after this, and also bass melodyline. Maybe you could try to make it even more punk by speeding it up 25% and screaming the vocals a bit more. Thanks for sharing!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 12:55:47 PM »
Interesting story indeed (and fantastically original rhymes to go with it).

It all seems to mash together well - the sax takes me right back to the Stooges' Fun House (saxes and punk actually often work really well - like the Stranglers and X-Ray Spex, to name just a couple).

That improvised craziness of bass, guitars and sax really work well with the punk attitude and the fact that it's a real song at the same time is just right I think. I don't think I would know where to start on something like this. Great stuff.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »
@pompeyjazz - Was that the Donald Strong Quintet?, vignettes of "On a Desolate Shore" - Nice, Great, noticed Clam on Bass (Naturally),Nice, and the AABA structure with descending Superlocrian trading over a 7/4 syncopated framework, Great...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:52 PM »
Well..you sure gave this some welly, John!

It's a hell of a story...and what an amazing track you built around it. Controlled chaos. Just goes to show how much genres can overlap despite appearing to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Voice is sounding great here...i love the keyboard line and that dirty guitar. Bass wigs out too...the whole shebang!

Amazing track...what a hoot this challenge is proving to be!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
@pompeyjazz
Hi John, welcome to jazz club 8)....Nice! Great playing loved the jazz solo and the all over the place chords. Technical 8).
I'm not creative or technical enough to attempt any of these mash ups, kudos to all who attempt it never mind succeed!

Cheers
Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:01:57 PM »
Well, I object! You've done these before??? No fair! The problem is...I don't think there's a genre you haven't done. I guess you'll just have to be disqualified!  :P ::)

Great job, of course. I'm such an amateur, I can't imagine being able to pull something like this together. No nits from me. Not that I'd be qualified to offer any....

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
I have no idea what you were smoking while producing this but I think I need some. Or maybe not...  ;D ;D ;D
That walking bass was my fav, not a big fan of jazz but big band with those loooonng walking bass lines is another thing.
An interesting mix of styles but perhaps not a record I would run out and buy :-)

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
Ear boggling, very clever, fits the brief well.....not surprised your musical imagination came up with this genre busting kaleidoscope.......Feels like something you could play at a baby unicorn party where the unicorns have eaten too many blue smarties and they are waiting for daddy unicorn to bring extra rainbow trifle to the table......Not sure i would like to be trapped in a lift with this on repeat though!!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
HI PJ,

Heck knows how you come up with kind of thing. My mind could not take me there - and certainly my musical ability wouldn't allow it.
Very creative, if too jazzy for me. (I find jazz too random sounding.)
Sax sounds brill.

Hats of for the imagination and execution.

Digger