12-String Changing Strings

• 13 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:17:50 AM »
So how many days should it take to change the strings on a 12-string. I swear I used to do it in a few minutes, back in college. Must be time to get a winder....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »
Hi Vicki.

Yeah...I had more fun during my vasectomy...but I think I probably managed in about half an hour when I last had to do it a couple of weeks ago.

Can't someone invent everlasting and unbreakable strings? After all...we can put a man on the moon (Dave McGowan, anyone? )
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
@CaliaMoko, Vicki I've owned 12 strings since 1976 and probably 15 mins. I find changing strings quiet therapeutic, but a winder is a god send., and using pliers to put a right angle at the end really does help.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
I've just sold my Furch 12 stringer on ebay because i hate changing strings and it's so difficult to make it sound good when recording...for me anyways..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
@CaliaMoko -     Guitar techs use cordless drills with a winder attachment  on tour

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
You should try re-stringing a lute!! ;-)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
@PaulAds : It is maybe possible I could have done it in half an hour if I hadn't taken so many breaks!

@Neil C : Strangely, I had no idea, until yesterday, that the right angle was desirable. I found out because pins kept popping out and I did some research to find out how to make them stop. I think I had the wrong kind of pliers, though, as it didn't work very well. I ended up bending them with my fingers. Which also didn't work really well, but apparently enough.

@shadowfax : I do have a hard time making it sound good--I'm bad at tuning, I think. But when I get it right, I really love the sound. I haven't tried it for recording, but then I never play on my recordings. So far.

@cowparsleyman : My husband suggested a cordless drill, but I don't have an attachment. I'll have to look for one.

@adamfarr : Oofda! Or a full-size harp!

I am now interested in running a poll. Tune up to pitch? Or a step down? Or three semi-tones down? I've seen all three presented as THE way to tune a 12-string. Maybe it depends on the "robustness" (quality) of the guitar?

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
@CaliaMoko , Vicki You’re right about robustness of the guitar, but most importantMy what strings are going with?  I’d start with 10 gauge lights, and tune to pitch, see how you get on, and vary accordingly.
The heavier the gauge, the more strain, better sound and stability.
Good luck
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
You should try re-stringing a lute!! ;-)

Or a harp!! :-)

ETA I see Vicki got there before me. Although I never actually minded stringing my harp, I hated tuning it.... 

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »
@Neil C : If 10-gauge light means the high E is .010, that's what I have.

There's a big gap between my college days, when I knew nothing and simply bought what was available (I always preferred silk and steel--mainly because I like the word "silk", I think). I don't recall comparing weights of strings at all. I don't remember there being different weights of strings. And I don't remember having problems at all. Except I couldn't/didn't bar. Barr? Whatever.

Now I can't play as well as I did in college (although it's possible my memory is less than perfect), but I do sometimes play bar chords. Only F and G, though.

@cowparsleyman has inspired me to *think about* practicing more. I just need to move thought to action. I was going to say "it's a process", but really, there's no excuse. Get on the stick, Vic!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 06:12:43 AM »
@CaliaMoko - nice to know ... As soon as I said that thing about practising I realised it sounded patronising as hell, as maybe all those tips... but I’m keen to pass on the lessons learned.

The other great practice tip was from a guy callsd David Russell, one of the best classical players. He said that most guitarists play pieces that are too hard for them... in my case that is very true.

My tip from sister was practise until you can’t get it wrong...

Leaning a piece and performing a piece are usually 2 different states...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:43 AM »
Just to add from my guitar teaching days.....

ALWAYS practise “slow and right” keeping everything at a consistent speed, which effectively means playing EVERYTHING as slow as the most difficult bit

Practice doesn’t make “perfect” - practice makes “permanent”

So if you play a piece and play the easy bits fast and the hard bits slow, or you don’t play correctly as you are trying to go to fast,  you will end up embedding this - making it harder to unlearn later

This was THE most common barrier to effective learning - especially for younger boys who wanted to rush ahead

Anyone can play fast and wrong!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
@CaliaMoko @MonnoDB yes, I don't think I can outdo a harp! (Piano anyone?)

Vicky - I'd definitely never tune a 12 string up (use capo if necessary...)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 04:52:28 PM »
I love the Friday "masterminds" and hope they can continue indefinitely. @cowparsleyman I didn't feel patronized at all. Maybe because I am very aware of how much I need to practice...and don't. I did yesterday, though. I have noticed I'm in a much better mood if I spend time practicing, and I've had plenty of depression lately, so I think practice is my remedy.

@adamfarr : yes, I've pretty much decided to stick with two semitones low. It's what I've always done in the past and it's easy to pop on a capo and there's the added advantage of a lower key for some songs that need it. That is, it's my voice that needs it. :D