konalavadome

BitterSour

• 21 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and suggestions :-)

Just a quick confession that I had second thoughts about the whole midi thing on this...so I went back and whacked a bass, one electric guitar and an acoustic 12-string on this, changed the drums and deleted most of the midi stuff. I don't know if it's better or not...just that I feel more happy with it now.

Thanks!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
I'm late to the party so I messed the midi stuff (probably glad I did  8) ).
A really catchy number and even though I think I prefer your  angry and energetic stuff this is not bad at all, quite the contrary.
A really odd thing happen, for some reason Airport by The Motors from 78' came to mind which is strange since there are no similarities (well, maybe a little in the vocals?)
Anyway, really enjoyed this and no nits from me, even the mix passes without remarks :-)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 06:10:31 PM »
Hi Paul, I’ve only heard the new version and it works for me. You have been quite restrained with the guitars anyhow so it’s not like they are overpowering or anything. Good to hear you experimenting and from my own experience it’s hard to break out of what you are comfortable sounding like so fair play. Ultimately it works because the song is fairly catchy and good to listen to. Production all good too. Cheers Micky.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »
Liked it a lot.  I was getting "The Housemartins" from it (agree with Pop Todd that a few BVs would enhance it and make it even more Housemartinny).  Uber cool lyrics and the descending bell riff is simple but very effective, I like the way the chorus vocal melody partly mirrors it.  It's one of those songs that sounds both happy and sad at the same time - I think you are a master at striking that balance.  Production cool - one thing, I thought you sounded a little 'lispy' once or twice in it (around "I stood and watched it sink" for example)... could be my crappy laptop speakers but sometimes I notice my de-esser does that to me too when it is cranked a little too high, maybe worth a double check? Other than that I really liked the production (and the original version sounds intriguing too... is that still posted anywhere for a cheeky listen?)
It's all too beautiful.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 10:13:32 PM »
I could have sworn I commented on this song - I certainly listened to and enjoyed it before.. Great sound - the lyrics are the star for me.. they're very clever and real.. Many great lines - this is my fave:

"That ship had sailed, I know for sure, I stood and watched it sink"

Just fab..

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »

Hi Paul,

Hope you're well and recycling ;D.  Another top class piece of songwriting.  I just love the way you build your songs, and this one with just 6 tracks....sht, am in awe of your
 talent ;D ;D. The lyrics are a work of art...as usual, and everything comes together so well.  It's a joy to behold my friend ;D

Take care...stay safe ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
I like it.
Strong contrast
The music and voice.
Sounds basic.
But I can only marvel at your skills as a songwriter.
You and pompeyjazz seem to be supernatural in your rate of productivity.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly