BitterSour

• 21 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »
Funny one, this...

To try to get a different perspective on things...and to stop everything sounding the same...I decided to dump all the guitars for this one and just tap out all the instruments on my mac's keyboard...so there's one track of midi drums using uJam's "Solid" virtual drummer (which I really like) and one track of percussion...an 80's style bass synth and a couple of electric pianos along with the track of tinkly bell-things...so six tracks in total (plus the vocals, of course)

I really liked the emptiness in the sound...rather than stuffing it with guitars and what-have-you to hide behind, as I often do.

EDIT: But then I changed my mind and re-recorded most of it :)

Going for an early 80's synth-pop sound, i tried to get it sounding a bit like A-Ha's "take on me" and decided to get in character for the lyrics too...which was, of course, a bad sign. I really hated school...especially comprehensive school from 1979-1984. One benefit of having a really shit time is that afterwards, you don't have to waste any time on nostalgia. Apart from that, don't think I could take anything positive from it.

The first line of lyrics "Never found another of its kind" was really "Never found another of my kind" but I thought that sounded a bit weird...so I changed it.

My wife really didn't like this song. Had she known me back then, I suspect she wouldn't have liked me either. It was all the rage  :P

Anyway...that's the unpleasantries out of the way...here's my little ray of sunshine...

BitterSour

Never found another of its kind
Dreaming of the day when I could leave it all behind
Replace it with some simliar ordeal
You can feng-shui all the scenery but not the way you feel

Looking back I wasn’t wrong to think
That ship had sailed, I know for sure, I stood and watched it sink
With nothing left on board I'd care to save
I’m scooping up the past to dump it in an unmarked grave

Memories dredged up from that amateur hour
Familiar flavours of bitter and sour
I more like the future and less like before
I’d turn back the clock ’til it tick-tocked no more

I gave it a shot
But ran out of juice
Threw in the towel
I've got no excuse

Memories dredged up from that amateur hour
Familiar flavours of bitter and sour
I more like the future and less like before
I’d turn back the clock ’til it tick-tocked no more

Thanks for listening...and it's totally OK if you hate it too. I really don't mind  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:55:41 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
Well, I certainly don't hate it. I like the tinkly bell stuff. I can relate, to a point. I also did not especially enjoy my growing up years, although I DID like school--it was much better than being at home, even though I was, shall we say, definitely not in the "in" crowd.

So many lines that reach out and grab me:

You can feng-shui all the scenery but not the way you feel
and
That ship had sailed, I know for sure, I stood and watched it sink
and
I’m scooping up the past to dump it in an unmarked grave

Those are my favorites. To me, they're absolutely inspired.

No nits from me!

Vicki

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
Hi Paul, once again you demonstrate you can write one catchy tune. I always enjoy your inventive guitar accompaniments but this synth excursion demonstrates a refreshing style excursion from you that I think you pulled off really well.

The only suggestion from me would be to add a bit of a background sustained chord synth on the chorus, more typical of the era. Take it or leave it...  ;)

Super that you have this level of versatility in your arsenal. After reading your write up I did think you pulled off the brief fabulously well. Top work says me  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
Whato @PaulAds - haven’t heard it yet, read the lyrics, in addition to Vickis, i love memories dredged up from that amateur hour. They are as good as Costellos, i don’t know if I’ll dig the song but i love the words.

Skillful writing man.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
I hate it..its crap.  ;D
No..I`ve heard it before & I really like it. Wonderful how you can conjure up an atmosphere with few words. I admire the way you often change the way you write to create new sounds. Great stuff. Thanks.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »
Incredible change of direction 8) and very effective 8) some super lines in among your always excellent lyrics,
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
Great topic - I also hated school and didn’t appreciate home. Was always looking forward to moving on. The feng shui line is really really good...
The bass synth is perfect for this I think - I like the way it picks up the pace in the chorus. Perhaps a sustaining instrument would be good. At times you hint at some 80s drums so I’m curious as to why you didn’t go there.
Nice and different while still being yourself.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:50:39 PM by adamfarr »

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
Hi I certainly did not hate this I really liked the song which I think has a got great energy and  very clever lyrics.I was also impressed by the electronic backing and production. My only quibble would be that that the chorus (which I do like by the way)  needs some extra accompaniment to make it stand out in the song.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
You've really got that early 80's synth pop sound nailed Paul. It's nice and crisp and poppy. Like the little hand claps and great verb on the drums. Top notch lyrics as always. Amazing that you can knock up a top quality piece like this with 6 tracks and it's great to diversify as well. Loved it  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
Hi,
First up, the lyrics are superb - Vicki has picked out some great lines. It does remind me of Elvis Costello's writing. I like the simplicity of the musical setting and the directness of your approach. Great, catchy tune well delivered. What is there not to like? Superb work.
M

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
I really like the composition, Paul. And I am a sucker for internal rhymes, so you grabbed me there.
And I get what you were trying to do with the bare-bones production and the 80s feel. Still, I can't help but want to hear some backing vocals on there. Maybe a harmony or something and even a couple of countermelodies. I don't think it would add too much; would still sound pretty bare bones. And still keep that 80s feel.
Good melody too.
Like I said, just a couple of things that I would do differently, myself. But then, it's not my tune. Food for thought.
Thanks for posting this one!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »
Hola @PaulAds
You have made a song of contrasts, I would say, I really like the instrumentation, so innocent, naive, and when your voice appears the contrast comes, it is a powerful voice on a delicate basis and the funny thing is that they combine very well.

I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
@PaulAds
Hi Paul, I couldn't imagine writing and recording a song without instruments....Great 80's feel and some lovely poppy chords and melodies. I too agree that the chorus needs a pad of some description to contrast with the verses. Great lyrics (of course),some great lines (as usual).
Nice one Paul

Cheers
Jamie

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:49:40 AM »
I like it a lot...its very different to your normal stuff but works very well, still has an edge.....i'm not getting aha...i'm getting Deacon Blue....great stuff

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
Hi Paul,

I loved school - had a great time - especially in the 6th form - maybe a little too good...
Hmm - maybe that wasn't what school was about. :D

Liked this. Love a bit of 80s synth - even the lighter side. This felt like The Cure doing an 80s synth pop song with Elvis Costello on vocals.

Nice departure.

Digger