Trance for Alien Genre Challenge

• 6 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:34:28 AM »
I just realized this has no name. I've just been calling it "Trance Experiment". I found a cello loop I liked and built the rest on that. I know the marimba track is total rubbish and I don't know if I can clean it up. It might have to go. PaulAds gave me some vocal clips he generated and I cut one of those into pieces and threw it around in the mix. I think they need some kind of treatment to make them, um, blend better? Not sure. I know I like the cello and the kick drum. I kinda like the violin, too. PaulAds has offered to provide me with a little more percussion and some shwooshy synthy stuff. That isn't in there yet.

What can I do to improve what I have so far?  And how do I come up with a name for this?

https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/trance-experiment/s-2WbcxXjHpep
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:33:17 AM by CaliaMoko »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
Hi Vicki, nice start here, it's kind of cinematic trance, if there is such a thing!

A few suggestions. The drum beat could do with variety and build. You could probably find a couple of loops to superimpose. I would also say a sub-bass line would be useful. It will be good to see what @paulads provides with extra synths, but mainly I think this one could build and build with lots of extra layers towards a big finish.

But you're up and running with some good initial ingredients, great, so good luck in shaping it up.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:08:21 AM »
Sounds good so far to me Vicki & listening to your start & @PaulAds & @pompeyjazz submissions I`ve obviously got to get my finger out with this challenge. Not really sure what trance is but its a nice piece of music which as @MichaelA suggests probably needs some light & shade but that can be added to as you go along.Looking forward to hearing the finished song.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Newest update on my trance experiment. I have now gotten a lot of help from PaulAds and cowparsleyman. I am learning things! And working on trance is good for stress relief. Actually, it's the focusing on production details and trying to understand what I am doing and/or what is happening. Occupies my mind.

Hear the update on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/trance-experiment.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
It's great to hear that you are pushing the boundaries Vicki and also to see that the spirit of collaboration is alive and well. This is sounding excellent - It's driving, hypnotic and gets stuck in your head. Bravo  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
Sounding really great, Vicki!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:18 AM »
I've decided this is finished, so I'm moving it, appropriately enough, to "Finished Songs". And I've finally decided on a name. Nothing too original, I'm afraid. It is "Reverie". I'm locking this one, so go to http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17619.0 if you have any more to say about this one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:45:59 AM by CaliaMoko »