All By Myself

• 28 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
Hi Everyone.............Here's a tune that I wrote about ten years ago, in which Mr. Paul Battersby did a total make over on. Tell me what you think.....all thoughts and comments are appreciated, and first impressions are most welcome  8)

"All By Myself"

Written by Tom Tognaci
Tom Tognaci - Guitars, Vocals
Paul Battersby - Orchestral strings, Bass, Percussions

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14042610

I deal with the loneliness like combing fresh cut hair   
I convince myself that I’m alright 
I can deal with the solitude and the echo from upstairs   
Now that the ghost is gone, I’m alright

I’d rather be alone and by myself
Than to be alone, while being with someone else
All by myself...stowed way up high on some dusty shelf
All by myself...just me, an island, unto itself   

Some nights I reminisce back and forth in this old chair   
Is it worth the lament...is it really fair?   
Black and blue is the emptiness with a woman who can’t care   
One thing that stands out, now, completely clear

I’d rather be alone and by myself
Than to be alone, while being with someone else
All by myself...stowed way up high on some dusty shelf
All by myself...just me, an island, unto itself

Some nights I reminisce back and forth in this old chair   
Is it worth the lament...is it really fair? 
All I need is my poetry and the music that I play   
To stretch these untamed wings and fly away
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
Wow, I really really like production on this - especially the vocal treatment - it sounds so 'widescreen'.  Dug it when the drums started to pick up around 2:25 too for the understated solo.  Very interesting lyrical concept too, which a lot of people will identify with I guess.  It has an American rock feel to it... I'm put in mind of 'Freebird' for some reason, although it doesn't actually sound that much like it - it's something about the atmosphere it creates.  The only detail I didn't dig was the sparkly bell noise that comes in at the end of the choruses (1:06) - thought that was a bit 'Disney' - but that is a tiny nit in the midst of a really impressive track.  Loved it - should be the closing music to a movie.
It's all too beautiful.

Columbia

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
Hi I think your voice is terrific, quite apt seeing how things are now x

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »
Hi Tom, it’s great to hear a song of yours again. Lovely arrangement and a catchy chorus as always. I wasn’t really feeling the delay on your vocal, didn’t quite fit for me I’m afraid, but hey, that’s just my opinion. Everything else was lovely mate.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 01:30:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. Did you post it here? Or maybe I played it on your SoundClick page when I was browsing around there? Whatever, I remember liking it, and I still like it. The echo or delay or whatever that is, is a little too much in headphones, but it might be fine over speakers, which I don't have right now to check. I like the words a lot. And the melody. They go together well.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
Wow, I really really like production on this - especially the vocal treatment - it sounds so 'widescreen'.  Dug it when the drums started to pick up around 2:25 too for the understated solo.  Very interesting lyrical concept too, which a lot of people will identify with I guess.  It has an American rock feel to it... I'm put in mind of 'Freebird' for some reason, although it doesn't actually sound that much like it - it's something about the atmosphere it creates.  The only detail I didn't dig was the sparkly bell noise that comes in at the end of the choruses (1:06) - thought that was a bit 'Disney' - but that is a tiny nit in the midst of a really impressive track.  Loved it - should be the closing music to a movie.
Thanks Paulyx.....I appreciate the comments. Not sure about the "sparkly bell"....is it the cymbals sound? I'm glad you liked it, all around......thanks for listening!

Hi I think your voice is terrific, quite apt seeing how things are now x

Yeah....it is a bit relevant; although, in this song, I want to be far away. Here, we're handed a choice between being locked up, or being labeled irresponsible.
Thanks for listening!!

Hi Tom, it’s great to hear a song of yours again. Lovely arrangement and a catchy chorus as always. I wasn’t really feeling the delay on your vocal, didn’t quite fit for me I’m afraid, but hey, that’s just my opinion. Everything else was lovely mate.😄🎶👊🏻🎶
Thanks LB...........it's always nice hearing from you. I sang the vocals on two different tracks........I thought it would create the atmosphere I was looking for.
Thanks, again!

I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. Did you post it here? Or maybe I played it on your SoundClick page when I was browsing around there? Whatever, I remember liking it, and I still like it. The echo or delay or whatever that is, is a little too much in headphones, but it might be fine over speakers, which I don't have right now to check. I like the words a lot. And the melody. They go together well.

Hello CM............and it's so nice to hear from you, again. You have heard this before, about 10 years ago. Paul Battersby found it, and did a make over on it.
I just had to hear what others thought!!
Thanks for listening....thanks for commenting!

And thanks to all who have listened!

-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 02:05:45 PM »
Hi,

Love the chord progression, the lyrics, guitar playing and your vocal. I can understand the "Freebird" thing but it isn't a copy. Love the chorus with the harmonies and strings - truly gorgeous. I'm afraid I didn't like the heavy reverb - I think it distances you from the singer. I would change that but nothing else. A wonderful treat.

M

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
This has got a great vibe Tom - Love the swirly vocals - Nice crisp sound and also like the orchestration and subtle percussion. A great listen.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 03:56:04 AM »
Hi,

Love the chord progression, the lyrics, guitar playing and your vocal. I can understand the "Freebird" thing but it isn't a copy. Love the chorus with the harmonies and strings - truly gorgeous. I'm afraid I didn't like the heavy reverb - I think it distances you from the singer. I would change that but nothing else. A wonderful treat.

M

Hey there Monty.... it's OK you don't like the reverb....I never was much for recording.
I am glad you like the songwriting.
Thanks!!!
                                                          -IronKnee

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 03:56:56 AM »
This has got a great vibe Tom - Love the swirly vocals - Nice crisp sound and also like the orchestration and subtle percussion. A great listen.

Thanks Pompyjazz........it is very much appreciated!!
                                                          -IronKnee

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 09:35:49 AM »
Hi, the vocal style reminded me of The Hollies, as I am old enough to remember them  ;) it's an interesting technique having your two vocal lines panned left and right. Took me a little while to get used to it, then I did come to like it, as it's like a duet with yourself! Very nice chorus, classic singer songwriter stuff. A well constructed song well sung.

I'm with Monty on the reverb, and I have definitely had to tame my reverb obsession over the last few years. Younger artists were telling me it made my songs seem less contemporary and that a more natural sound was more acceptable these days. But take that production nit away and I this is very lovely.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 06:43:44 AM »
Hi, the vocal style reminded me of The Hollies, as I am old enough to remember them  ;) it's an interesting technique having your two vocal lines panned left and right. Took me a little while to get used to it, then I did come to like it, as it's like a duet with yourself! Very nice chorus, classic singer songwriter stuff. A well constructed song well sung.

I'm with Monty on the reverb, and I have definitely had to tame my reverb obsession over the last few years. Younger artists were telling me it made my songs seem less contemporary and that a more natural sound was more acceptable these days. But take that production nit away and I this is very lovely.

Thanks MichaelA for the generous comments!
I appreciate it. Thanks, again........
                                                               -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
@IronKnee - Hi Tom

Interesting song, just listening while I write...yeah nice picking on your acoustic.

I agree with paul about the delay on the vox, just pull back a tad..

I really thought it was going to launch into a hefty rock thing, good work and great separation

I guess a solo of some kind would work.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
Hi, really enjoyed the vocals on this one, very nicely performed and recorded. Acoustic guitars sounds great I always have trouble recording them :P. Has an American feel to it, can't quite put my finger on why......
Very good

Cheers
Jamie

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »
I've listened to this song a few times now and I've really enjoyed it. I think its a fabulous piece of Americana with a lovely wistful chorus. Great acoustic guitar playing, great vocals and a beautiful warm  production.