Brutalise

• 22 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 08, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Hi All,

This started life as a bit of a dance groove track, but quickly returned to type. Dance drums do have a nice depth to them though - great for layering with a more natural kick drum sound.
We've used this as the opener for our recent "album" - sort of a scene setter for the tracks that follow.

Is it a a song about chocolate addiction? Well I do like the odd Cadbury Crunchie every now and then.  :D
And it can make a mess of the waistline. 6lbs gained so far during the lockdown. Nightmare.

All the best,

Digger

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/brutalise

Brutalise

Your mouth it tastes like honeycomb
Speak your words in acid tones
Copper blood and broken bones
Bringing down your hammer on the metronome

Sing Hey
Hey

Your scars I bear with bang and blame
Hold me down with ball and chain
Sweet the sound you call my name
Falling is so easy when you play the game

Sing Hey
Hey

There’s a fine a line
Between pleasure and pain
What you love and hate
Can feel the same
It can speak the truth
While it whispers lies
What feels good
Can brutalise

I’m an angel
Of a fallen prayer
You got a song to sing
For the weak to share
And you say it’s you
And you say it’s me
I’m gonna follow
So you lead the way

Sing it
Sing it
Sing it
Sing it

There’s a fine a line
Between pleasure and pain
What you love and hate
Can feel the same
It can speak the truth
While it whispers lies
What feels good
Can brutalise

You lead
I’ll follow

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
Another realy good Goth? type song from you guys.Great production, arrangement, lyrics and singing,and I really like the drums.  My only comment would be, IMO  that the  bottom end seems to be a bit weak and that the bass needs to come up in the mix and lock in with the kick. Still a fine offering though.

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:27:57 AM »
The production is awesome, love the singer. The drums sound amazing. I thought it's a great song. Dark.and atmospheric. :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
Brill stuff Digger.  The drums are super cool - those toms that open it really build the tension.  Some great lines lyrically - 'copper blood' / 'hammer on the metronome' in particular... I didn't think it was about chocolate - it sounds vaguely 'kinky' to me but that's cool - certainly works for other bands...  Your singer as ever has a great voice for this kind of Goth  ice queen delivery.  I must admit I would have loved another 30 seconds with a 'big finish' payoff (massive fuzz guitars leaping in again suddenly  after the last 'I follow' would have given me guaranteed goose bumps I think) - maybe that is an option for the 12" remix.  Great work.  Is the album out and if so can you post a link?
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »
Aw...I can't eat chocolate...it gives me migraine so I haven't had any for about 25 years or more. I used to love chocolate too...life can be cruel.

Great sound to this. Brilliant vocals give it a real star quality sound. Enjoyed the layers of guitar sound and the bass and drums support it all superbly.

I don't think I could every really hope to achieve as much as this does...playing, singing, choice of sounds and production-wise...it's bang on the money.

Really excellent!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
Another super track from you guys @digger72 Love the bleakness and the great big thumping drum pattern and the vulnerable vocals, together mixed with moody guitar and some interesting synth stuff makes this an excellent listen

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 06:26:51 PM »
Those vocals sound fantastic and your production overall sounds great!
Drums are killer as well, great job on this !!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 12:43:38 AM »
Yeah! Not really anything more to add than what’s already been said. It’s a great track! executed brilliantly. Nice one guys. U even had “crunchie” guitars to keep with the choc theme! 🤪😆

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »
@digger72 - Dig this one Digger/Katja - I liked the Title, draws one in to it, the vibe matches the title.

Lots of space in here, liked it very much, just listening and writing as I go...like the pads, and gtr work.

Really like held back drums, not really my genre, but very accomplished, you two go very well together.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »
Great mood to this. The vocal is so stunning that it easily stands alone in the quieter bits. That means when the build comes it makes even more difference. The dynamics created by the composition skills, then topped off by a fine production are really something to behold.

You should get a sponsorship from Cadburys for this. Top work, lusciously dark.  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
Love that slow burning Curved Air feel engendered by Katja's vocals.

Always enjoyable to hear new tracks from you two.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
@digger72
Hi guys, brilliant. Love the vocals on this one 8).Also like the guitars when they burst on the scene. Excellent production, plenty of 'air'.
Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »
Hi Digger - yes, those drums are fab. Bit of a Coldplay-stadium moment with the chorus. Guitars really enter with a bang as well. Lyrics are kind of impressionist and malleable, always interesting.
I wonder if it's maybe a little serious to be the first track on the album? Though I haven't listened to the rest yet so that is not based on any science.
Really great sounds from you as ever.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Hi Peeps,
I read the lyrics before I listened and I thought they were superb then that voice started and I was falling head over heels. Love the American Indian type hey yeah bit. The musical setting is a little heavy in places for my taste, darling but it doesn't spoil the overall yuminess of this track. This is a rather exceptional and very imaginative piece of music. A definite thumbs up from the South Devon jury.
M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »
This is just stunning @digger72 .. 

There's not a thing I can fault.. the drums are particularly wonderful among so many fantastic elements - Vox awesome, guitars fabulous, great lyrics.. Maybe the drums are doubly impressing me as I'm strangling a drum track at the moment myself (or maybe it's the other way around :) )...

Just stunning!!!! I think I might say this quite often as you post more tracks but I think this might be my favourite of yours and I'm already a huge fan...

K