Sanctuary (Part of the Genre Jumping suite - Ambient)

• 28 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »
@cowparsleyman

Two words.

Feckin' hippy.   :P

A very cool track Rich,being a dyed in the wool Floyd fan since 1967,this is right up my street.

At no time did the track drag it's arse,for me it was a very pleasant listen. The voice repeating 'sanctuary' may take the missus out of her contemplative zone tho....it was a little spooky and jarred with the peace and love thang.

BTW,tell Jamie he needs a hoof in the fork for not knowing 'Crazy Diamond'.  >:(   ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
Cool and very successful in doing what it set out to do. I particularly liked the rockier, floydier section. The whaley bit from around 5'20 had a bit of an RJD2 feel in places, and later on the trumpets (?) really did their job well.
I have probably forgotten most of it now, except that the feeling felt good.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
Wow. I started to listen to this and when I woke up I was cured of smoking, arthritis and an unbearable need to stroke stray llamas... all of which I never suffered from to begin with! :P

Seriously though, nice track. Nice and relaxing (yes, I made it to the end too - then again two of my favourite songs by my favourite band are 10 and 24 minutes resepctively!). :D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
Hey CPM, I'm actually quite into ambient (Brian Eno & Future Sound of London in particular) so was well into all 9 minutes of this.  Really liked the evolution of it and the 3 separate sections BUT I thought it would be better if you didn't have the tiny gaps at 2:19 and 5:00, as that made it feel like 3 separate pieces rather than one long flow... can you paper over the crack somehow?  I did liked the Floydiness in the middle section but I think I'd substitute the riff at 2:51 as those 4 notes are just toooo similar to the 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' riff, it doesn't need to be that similar to still tick all the right Gilmour boxes.  I particularly liked the appearance of the distorted brass sound at 7 minutes - and the third section was probably my favourite of all, with that fleeting hesitant bass line... I could have enjoyed another few minutes of that.  Well thanks for clearing my chakras and opening my third eye this morning, I really enjoyed that one.  There can't be many genres left for you to conquer... apart from RAP!
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »
@PaulyX - nice to meet you last night, hope dinner was a hit. Thanks for the review and the comments.

I know what you mean about the cracks, and they were indeed looked at, but didn’t find a solution...yet.

I never heard crazy diamond...so I’m not going to remove it.

Cpw heard it today and doesn’t like the length of phase 1, the spoken sanctuary, and the trumpet...

I’ll do a remix once I’ve finished a few other collabs and remixes.

La la la la gotte aus elysium - Opera practice

Mf pussy, booty check this - rap practise.

QED
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:37:50 PM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
I admire your attention to detail very much.

I'm afraid I couldn't do anything like this even if my life depended on it.

Very cool soundscape, though...and it did somehow evoke images of a cold damp place such as a church where you could really find sanctuary, just like the olden days. I often wondered though, if you had sought sanctuary in a church...wouldn't they just wait til you got bored or hungry or whatever to such a degree that you came out...at which point they'd catch you and do whatever you feared they would do to you that made you seek sanctuary in the first place. Eg Julian Assange.

Anyway...I'm rambling again...

A top piece of work.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:37 AM »
Very chilled.
Not my cup of Red Rose, but sure sounds like a quality piece of work for what I know of the genre (which is zilch).
But ya gotta know that's a pink floyd riff man :D
Good luck with it :D
Paul

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »
I like the atmosphere.............very skillfully done.
Smooth....like drinking my fav. Rye whiskey while listening to "The Wall"
;-)  Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 06:51:57 PM »
Gu @cowparsleyman

An ethereal and aquatic composition, all in wave motion ... Very relaxing, spatial and nostalgic
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 08:56:28 PM »
9 minutes!?!? You're kidding me, right!?!?!
OK, I did listen all the way but I must agree with @montydog on this.
I appreciate the craft but the result is not really for me I'm afraid.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 10:57:45 PM »
@Jambrains - really appreciate your tenacity with this, it’s not really my bag either, that’s the thing wirh this genre jumping suite, ive never done most of these and sone i would not go out of my way to listen to, this was an example, ambient isn’t for me.

But if you’re into yoga it might be just the ticket.

Maybe one day you’ll be chilling out ob some beach, no cares in the world and need a piece to fall asleep to...remember me

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
Hey @cowparsleyman .....I have this playing pretty loud right now on the studio monitors. It's just right for getting me all laid back here in the studio as I'm going to be working on some vocals in a bit. I'll definitely be all mellow and relaxed.

Definitely feeling the Floyd on this.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »
Well, when I saw it was 9 minutes, I was expecting it to drag on and on, so it was a surprise when it was over as quickly as it was! Very relaxing.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:43 PM »
This, like many others, is not my thing.... however, it being 9 minutes, I stuck it on in the kitchen earlier when I was "doing stuff" and I found it a rather lovely accompaniment to my "stuff" and at a certain point I was doing less "doing" and more listening so despite myself, I found myself sucked in.. Very polished production all in all  a very calming experience... Star for me was the brass (trumpets??) at around the 6 minute mark..

Impressive!

K