Sanctuary (Part of the Genre Jumping suite - Ambient)

• 28 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
Hmmm, well this is not one for rock lovers out there, it's a piece about relaxtion, it's about 'And bend and stretch...and hold.... KEEP Breathing'

It's about whales in the ocean, and flowers in the meadow and all thing bright and beautiful.

It won't be over in a trice, in fact it might seem like the end can't come too soon to some folk.

Anyway, here's the lyrics 'Sanctuary' that's it...

It just what came into my head, so no external influences at all.

CPW hasn't heard it yet...Wish me luck

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:59:07 AM »
Yikes Rich @cowparsleyman I had to get my crystals and joss sticks out for this one and lie in a darkened room. I'm just floating man  ;D Very atmospheric mate. There are some touches of Pink Floyd when the guitar kicks in but there's a lot of other subtle little stuff going down as well. I made it to the end of the 9 minutes as well

Now get back to your Rap practice  ;D

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
@pompeyjazz - blimey, well done for hanging in there, appreciate the listen.

Kept thinking of @tone when mixing it...I remember walking home from work listening to his 10min epic....couldn’t get to the end.

Btw it was HUGE ...150mb, and caused my daw to crash many times grrr, but loved trying out some of my favourite synths. Pigments2, prophet V, thorn, hybrid 3...hurrrah

The Estuary (SWE)

• Busker
  • The Estuary is a Swedish amateur pop/rock band.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 10:40:44 AM »
Wow! This track had pretty much everything. A very peaceful and dreamlike flow, like some sort of medicine for the soul (which may be exactly what we need in these trying times...). I enjoyed every minute of it. I especially liked that David Gilmour type guitar part and the jazzy solo. Beautiful.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
Hi CPM

Thanks for tagging me! I'm glad you've experienced the enormous fun of just letting your brain leak out into a music production software program. I have to say this is a very enjoyable track, and yes - I made it to the end!

Nice complimentary palate of instruments you've put together here. Was definitely channeling my inner OMMM :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
JEEZO @cowparsleyman , blimey that was emphatically atmospheric love the guitars, reminiscent of pink floyd. Well done man, its epic.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
Yeah this works well a touch of Pink Floyd as pomps said..just thought some of the quiet bits were a bit too long.. :) but some very stratospheric moods created in there, had me floating in space for sure. 8) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »
Hi @cowparsleyman, an interesting challenge you set yourself there. There are paradoxes inherent in the genre in that if it all comes across as improvised then I think it's a cop out to call it a composition. I think you've not fallen into that trap and there is definitely structure to your piece. At least three movements, in fact, bit like a mini symphony. With the last movement feeling the most like a 'song' a bit, before falling away again into the peace. It's all kind of 'structured informality' and I think it works as you've concentrated on creating light and shade throughout and there are some lovely touches in there.

As the piece keeps progressing it succeeds in keeping interest too, as unlike a lot of ambient, there is a lot of variety and development with all these mini-sections you introduced. Really great experiment from you, well done.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
thanks again for those that took the time to listen to this.

@The Estuary (SWE) - Glad you like it, never had a song reviewed as beautiful, so many thanks.

@tone - my pleasure man...your piece was always in the back of my mind, especially the length, I had no fear to have it 9 minutes.

@Sebandme - Thanks It wasn't supposed to sound like pink floyd, as I've not really heard much of their work, but I take it as a compliment.

@shadowfax - Thanks Kev, I kind of thought the same about the quiet bits being a bit long, but for yoga, that's a good thing, so they stayed against my don't.

@MichaelA - Yes you sussed me out, I thought of the piece as a walk though different rooms, each one had a different vibe, and the comparison to a classical symphony is a right compliment (thats one on my genre list), and something that is drummed into one when learning classsical music, keep the dynamics moving, a piano isn't called a pianoforte for no reason, piano = quiet forte =loud (for those that don't already know). In the digital world the equivalent is use that Velocity window in the MIDI editor, it makes so much difference, nobody place with the same velocity on a real keyboard.

I was a bit hesitant about the last movement (the one with the Double Bass), it did seem to me come over as a song, which I didn't want, so in all of those movements, this was my least favourite

You know me by now Michael, I get bored easily, so I won't go on long without changing something...thanks for the review.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »
Hi,
I'm not a fan of this genre - I think it takes a long time to say very little but that's the Tin Pan Alley in me speaking!You've used some lovely sounds on this and I can hear what people are saying about the Pink Floyd influence - Division Bell, anyone?
I have to say I admire this more than I like it if that makes sense. I certainly couldn't make anything like this so I've got to give you kudos for the technical skill.
M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
@cowparsleyman
Hi Rich, this is an entertaining piece, my interest in it grew as it developed, which is a clever way of engaging the listener. The guitar in the second element is reminiscent of Dave Gilmour and there is a phrase in it that is very familiar from one of their albums (might be the intro to Shine on you crazy  diamond?). The last element was my favourite, loved the bass and the trumpet/cornet?. Very brave to post a 9 min song ;D. Really good, you should be selling this on a loop to New age/vegans all over the World..... 8) ;D
Cheers
Jamie

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
Hi Rich,

Very ambitious. Some very nice soundscapes.
Agree with Jamie about the Crazy Diamond guitar motif which appears at 2.48 and repeats a few times.

I love Shine on You Crazy Diamond in all its parts, so this being a kindred spirit sat well.
Would have perhaps liked a little more energy injecting at times- blast of guitar or something - but may well have killed the mood.

Nice one.

Digger

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
Hi CPM
I must admit I was fearing the worst when I read the introduction and saw the length but surprisingly I found it both an interesting and quite enjoyable track.  Your high level of  production skills and musicanship are obvious throughout and I liked the way the piece developed over time. Personally, I think the nod towards  Pink Floyd are not really needed and I would have liked to hear a bit more original experimentation with processed guitars etc instead. Nevertheless, its still a good piece of electronica though.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »
Again thanks for the listens and considered reviews...

@montydog - Cheers Alan, you were very brave to even attempt to listen to this one, I appreciate it. I'm glad it didn't make sense.

@Jamie
Any Pink Floyd nods are purely co incidental, I've not heard 'Crazy Diamond', I don't have any Pink Floyd albums at all, an old girlfriend had the LP with 'Money' on it, but that's all I liked on that, they were never my cup of tea...sorry, maybe I should take a listen I might like 'em now. I guess I might has heard the riff somewhere I suppose, subliminally. Glad you liked the trumpet and sax, they were samples from Splice, a bit chopped up to fit the existing chord structures.

I'd be happy to flog it to anyone, dead horses included.

@digger72 - About the role of the guitar in this one....CPW doesn't go for guitar solos, especially not for her Yoga, it's all peace and tranquility, so although I agree with you, there should be some crescendo maybe with a lovely pushed strat, but for peace in our household, that might trot along as a remix...

@Grubstar - Thanks Mr Grub, it;'s very nice of you to say, I agree there could have been more experimentation, maybe next time it won't be for CPW, so then I'm free to do what I want, although it was good to have an implicit brake on my imagination, last time it went for a stroll it ended up as 'You must come with us"...

Thanks again to all

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
Oooh. I right enjoyed that 👍👍 interesting from start to finish, as per usual @cowparsleyman. Bond just went off world with Massive Attack to meet Blade Runner. Cool stuff CPM. Cx
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now