The Alien Genre Challenge 2020

• 125 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2020, 10:25:40 PM »
@Paulski suggested we put songs we'd like early feedback on in the Unfinished Songs sub-forum. That went down pretty well on the Zoom call, although you must have missed that part Vicki. But well done you for getting on with it already.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
Thanks, @MichaelA . Yeah, I don't make out everything people say on Zoom. And I forget the rest.  ::) Well, not all of it....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »
Hi John @pompeyjazz I've done mine and just recorded the vocal tonight...weird trying to do a "show tune" as it's something I've never even thought of doing before. I guess that's the whole point, though!

Is it ok to post it in finished songs with an "alien genre challenge 2020" heading without upsetting the "one song per 14 days" rule?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »
...just searched youtube on how to rap.... i couldn’t help but notice...27 styles of rap...well i fear that by the end of june there will be 28

We just did a rap part in one of our songs, started as a joke (or Sunday afternoon challenge from Neil) but we really like it now.  My kids are sooooo embarrassed though ;D

I'll put it up at some point to give you all some fun  ;D
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
You see, it's kind of fun once you get used to the feeling of sounding like a complete berk....Indeed I'm thinking of attacking one of the other 27 styles....

As for embarrassing the kids, wait til you're in a Tescos checkout queue with them before belting it out at full voice, but take your shirt off first and lower your M&S elasticated waist 'Slacks' about a foot first...Doing the Crips Walk (C Walk - check You tube), and the thing the Crips do with their hands, looks a bit like making shadow puppets to me...The Wolf, or the Dog...Now at least your 18" woofer in your boot will shine with the clarity of a Condenser Mic and the Behringer AI....

I feel there's a bunch of Home Boys on the block Peter, @MichaelA - You in Dude?

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
Well I've finished my entry which misses the DnB target I would say, but not really being able to get into what exactly makes a DnB song, I can't say by how much. I'm not much good at genre categorisation and on top of that don't listen and haven't listened to much music in the last years strange as that may seem. I used to listen to a lot when I was younger...a lot younger! An acquaintance of mine says that I haven't really got past the 70s and he's not all wrong!

I'll post it when I can get round to reviewing the other entries. Can't seem to get myself going on lots of fronts at the moment. This is first song since last September or thereabouts.

Enjoy your Friday night Zoom thing guys. See you soon.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »
Great to hear from you, Ian @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra 😃

I was wondering how you were getting on and if you'd be able to pull something out of the bag for this...so I'm chuffed that you've got something cooking.

I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

I pretty much gave up on new music after 1983...so I'm not very far behind you at all...

Maybe if someone did something we loved, we'd love it 😂

Until then...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - you’ve been sorely missed

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2020, 10:48:43 PM »
Great to hear from you Ian @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra. Really looking forward your compo  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2020, 08:05:37 AM »
Hey Viscount, great to see you around again. Look forward to hearing something new from you even if it’s not what it says on tin!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
Mine's just about done although like Cramer, I don't think I nailed Drill or House ;) ;) ;)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
Mines half-ass done.
Why did I get metal? why why why???

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm fresh out of the Friday Zoom meeting when the Great Wheel was randomly spun to gasps of amazement all round. Here are the genres drawn for each challenger. Two each. You can choose either one or the other for your song project.

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra : K-Pop or Drum & Bass

@PeteS : Soul or Easy Listening

@Neil C : Techno or Grunge

@PaulyX : Rhythm & Blues or Opera

@adamfarr: Grime or Dubstep

@5 guys named Lars : Motown or Mod

@pompeyjazz : Jazz or Punk

@Paulski: Garage or Metal

@PaulAds : Show Tunes or World

@MichaelA : Hip Hop or Reggae

@CaliaMoko : Trance or Pop

@cowparsleyman : Funk or Rap

@Sterix: Rock or Dance

If anybody else wants to join just let @pompeyjazz know and we will spin the wheel on the next available Friday Zoom meeting. It is not a competition, just a songwriting challenge for us all.

You have until the end of June to complete your songs. @Paulski suggested using the Feedback on Unfinished Songs section of the forum for those of us who might need early guidance on genre offerings that are, by definition, alien to us.

Good luck all, and most of all have fun!  :D

Any more entries to come? Still a few days to deadline!

What then? Do we do a procession or something? ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Perform it in your kitchen