konalavadome

The Alien Genre Challenge 2020

• 125 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
This is indeed quite a hoot - I've been investigating to see if there are any examples of Punk / Jazz fusions. This one is the most interesting that I've found so far.....

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
Hey John, @pompeyjazz , that's good fun for sure. It sounds a lot harder to play than old skool punk though!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
I’d pay money not to see them

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2020, 12:40:44 AM »
Bugger. All that practice. I think I've cramped my thumb. Or worse, the tendon. Ouch. :(

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
We have another entrant @crystalsuzy

The wheel of fortune has been spun and Suzy has been allocated "Drill" and "House" - Good luck Suzy  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
@cowparsleyman those vids are excellent. (When people who really like rap hate mumble rap, then that says something - I won't even ask what @Paulski has to say!)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
@adamfarr - Mumble rap, well I heard everything when I heard that, there is a huge market opportunity for 'Silent Rap' or 'Pony and Trap Rap'

@crystalsuzy - Welcome aboard - can't wait to hear your Drill entry....I guess there are 2 sub genres, Hand and Power, with niche offshoots like Black and Decker or DeWalt...

@MichaelA - Don't you go nicking my G-Funk Rap man, or that hyper-thingy Rap...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Happy to be aboard this crazy alien ship with no rudder  ::) Who knows where we'll end up, but I guess as long as I follow the "drill" and "house" rules(whatever they are) I'll be OK   ;D ;D  I hope nobody else knows anything about either of those genres, cause I have no idea what I've gotten myself into  ??? ??? ??? 

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »
I'm having some fun for sure on this little project. Just started to lay some stuff down and I've decided to mash up my two allocated genres Jazz and Punk. I wanted to throw a nod into Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers who sadly passed away yesterday so I'm going for Stranglers inspired keys and bass sound with a Jazz rhythm. It's fecking complicated for sure but great fun and a challenge indeed. I've got some potential punk subject matter as well so developing well. How are you other guys getting on ?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2020, 10:54:54 PM »
Yep, like you John I've been having a bit of fun with it today. I have got two Hip Hop drum loops that seem to go OK together. Once I laid those two down I managed to write a moody synth riff and I've also got the main idea of what I should do with the lyrics. At my age and with my musical cultural background I doubt I can write a proper Hip Hop tune. But it is loads of fun trying to interpret this in any way that I can.

Anyone else reading this and not having joined...well I can recommend it wholeheartedly. Me and Hip Hop, who'd have thought it?!  :D

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2020, 11:00:40 PM »
Oh forgot to also acknowledge the nod to Dave Greenfield. When I was a youth I reckoned the arpeggio'd riffing to No More Heroes was musical genius. Great song.

But it must be very nice to end this life, as we all must one day, being remembered for your contribution to music! Good life, well done Dave G!

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »
Could have been worse ... I got Motown/Mod (so at least I don`t need to rap)  ;D
Thought I`d got off to a cracking start this morning only to find out after half an hour it was "Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross.  ::)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
I know the feeling @5 guys named Lars. I wrote 'Whiter Shade of Pale' on my synth/organ a few months back!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »
Should we post our entries in "Finished Songs". No, I'm not ready yet, though I have a draft I'd like to share somewhere. I'll put it in "Works in Progress". Or better in here? I need more help, I think. Or maybe just some hand-holding or pats on the head....