Songwriter Forum > Resources & Marketing

do you need social media?

(1/3) > >>

Andyb:
Ive fallen out of love a little bit with social media - One side of me says of course you need social media, everyone does etc etc, The other side says "But i get very little/ nothing from social media so why waste my time with it? So I'm deactivating my FB account for a while (and with that goes my band page) and I'm going to explore other outlets / resources
so with that in mind if anyone uses bandcamp and they wouldn't mind giving me a wee follow then that would be appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.
https://4belowmusic.bandcamp.com/

CaliaMoko:
I know what you mean--there isn't much response from social media and I should probably work at building my mailing list instead. One of these days, maybe. So far, most people who *do* connect with me, do so through social media (Facebook, because I'm old).

I did "follow" you on your BandCamp account. If you are moved to reciprocate, my account is at vmgoble.bandcamp.com. But don't feel obligated. I'm not super active so far. Hmmm, maybe it's my negative approach...???

Boydie:
@Andyb

If you are intending to use social media for “marketing” or promoting something you need to approach it completely different than just trying to “build a fan base”

During you break from social media you have a great opportunity to re-evaluate what you want from social media and start looking in to some of the tried and trusted marketing methods - eg

Be 100% clear on what you ACTUALLY want to achieve - are you looking for bookings, and you looking to sell CDs, are you looking to “create a buzz”

Just looking at those 3 examples - each one would require a COMPLETELY different marketing approach and trying to do all 3 at the same may not be the best approach so you may also want to take this time out to prioritise what you want social media to do for you

cowparsleyman:
@Andyb - I don't entertain social media. I've never been attracted by it.

For me I'm intrigued by who listens and where, SoundCloud has some excellent stats about that, as does DistroKid, my songs have been heard in 50 countries without me having to do anything more than just releasing them, How do they get to know about me in Guyana or Nicaragua? I can imagine some bored soul in Riyadh finding one of mine, and wanting to delete it, but pressing play by mistake. Why should I have more plays in Busan than in Chesterfield..it's all relative..

I suppose it's all about how much recognition means to one, and as @Boydie says, what you are doing it for...Dosh?..Fame...Kudos(h)

The fact that this is organic is what appeals to me. I'm not playing live, not likely to play my songs anywhere live, let alone tour..I just love making and playing music.

Love it.

Andyb:
@cowparsleyman well I took myself out of social media for 2 weeks and guess what, it didn't make the blindest bit of difference! I play a handful of shows per year with my original stuff and as most of those have been cancelled postponed. I guess it's useful to spread the word about stuff like that but as for music plays through FB ? next to nothing - even more hurtful as these are your "friends and family"  but that is a discussion for another time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version