Ice Queen

• 21 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
Hello all,

A new one from Ashes for Dreams, a song inspired by a conversation about gaslighting and how awful it is to observe... it kind of got bolshier then :)

As always with our collaborations, this was a blast and a half to create... I just love what @Jambrains has done with it - from playing to arranging to production.  We're not sure what genre this is so please feel free to help us with that... And also please nit pick away - all and every piece of feedback will be appreciated and digested as I'm sure we'll be tweaking..

https://soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams/ice-queen

I'm an ice queen
I'm aloof and I'm serene
You'll never succeed
In cracking me

Don't try make me the bad guy
Don't push me too far
I'm fine here nicely simmering
I see exactly what you are
I hear the words you spit at me
You want me to spit them back
And then I'll be the villain
The one on the attack

I’m an ice queen
I’m aloof and I’m serene
You'll never succeed
In cracking me
I’m an ice queen
My face is just a screen
You’ll never see
What’s bugging me.

I see what you are doing
You think you hide it well
You manoeuvre and position
As if I cannot tell
That your hurt, it is unfounded
Your fear it is not real
And your treachery's compounded
By an ire you can’t conceal

I’m an ice queen
I’m aloof and I’m serene
You'll never succeed
In cracking me
I’m an ice queen
My face is just a screen
You’ll never see
What’s bugging me.

In my heart I am already gone
My presence only flesh and bone
Immune to names and sticks and stones
I’m ready to desert you

I’m an ice queen
I’m aloof and I’m serene
You'll never succeed
In cracking me
I’m an ice queen
My face is just a screen
You’ll never see
What’s bugging me.

jonlint

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
Hi there,

I like this song!  It grabs you from the start.  The production is quite good.  Nice instrumentation.  Bass is really good too.

That said, here are some suggestions to make it even better:

- The vocals could do with some spice to bring them up.  In the verses, they quite good - the processing fits.  In the chorus, they sometimes get buried especially as it seems your vocal tone is conflicting with the instruments in this song part more.  Some suggestions to improve: 1. add a vocal double 2. try additing a chorusing plugin (like Microshift from Sound Toys) 3. add a harmonized vocal.  You could also add some gang vocals "Ice Queen" after you say this lyric - so you say "Ice Queen" and then the gang vocals reply with "Ice Queen".
- Try also some automation on the vocals in chorus.
- Maybe also try to compress the vocals a little harder.  You'd be surprised how much compression vocals can take, especially as you are quite dynamic with your volume in the vocal performance, which is good for the feel of the song, but sometimes buries the vocals.
- In contrast, I would consider adding an "AM Radio" or "telephone" effect to the opening vocal part.
- The drums could do with more ambience/reverb to my taste, especially the snare.  This is personal choice I know, but that's my view.
- I feel the end could be spiced up more.  By the way I struggle with this most myself.  My suggestion would be to go up an octave with the last "You'll never see" and hold it, maybe also add some string part to end with a little more energy.

Hope this helps - all meant in constructive manner.  Keep at it!

Jonathan

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »
Just superb guys 8) great arrangement and super vocal, quite filmesque actually..dramatic and commercial :)

best, kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:43:04 AM »
This is absolutely superb @Jambrains and @MonnoDB A very accomplished piece of work, some lovely arrangements. Good subject to write about as well. I like the strings in particular and fabulous vocals, bass and guitar as well - One of you very best in my opinion  :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'd never heard the term "Gaslighting" - had to look it up. :)
Good topic for sure.

Can't help with the genre - sounds a mish mash of late 70s movie soundtrack with maybe some 90s indie.
Mindie genre? (Movie Indie  :D)
Some of the string parts made me think of Rocky when he's training.

Really accomplished sounding track.
Good to start with part of the chorus. Get the hook in early.

You keep on delivering the goods.

Digger

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »
Wow, the forum is on fire at the minute. Thought this was great - the standout for me was the strong arrangements - they are a bit ‘disco’ (in a good way). Immaculate production that never seemed to repeat itself and built very nicely.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
Hi @MonnoDB and @Jambrains
This is rather spectacular stuff - very ambitious and cinematic sounding. The highlight for me was the string arrangement which I thought was brilliant. Production is incredibly high class. A few pitchy moments on the vocal to these tin ears but overall the vocal was superb. What can I say? A masterpiece.
M

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
Very cool. You suit that vocal line Karen, playing the part of the Ice Queen with the inner feistiness all under control. It's a proper old fashioned song in a classical pop sense, structured - don't laugh - like an Abba composition, with a strong building melody and pay-off chorus, the melody helping carry the narrative engagingly so.

I liked the kind of disco strings and the M8 in particular carried a lot of attention to detail that was all very satisfying on the old ears. High level of performance and creativity throughout. Another winner from you - and a very commercial offering it is too!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 03:40:55 PM »
@MonnoDB @Jambrains
Hi guys, lovely collaboration. Great vocals over an interesting arrangement,some really nice touches. Made me think of the Cranberries might be the accent though ;).
Excellent stuff!

Cheers
Jamie

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »
A very well written song with powerful lyrics  and beautifully sung. Great production and arrangement skills on display throughout.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
Another great number here, dudes.

Production is super. Bass is low and menacing. Sets the scene. Great strings too. And the plinky-plonk thing as well.

Vocals are fab and carry off the lyric perfectly. I love how it doesn't seem to me to be doing that coy sort of bluffing, tough exterior but soft-as-shite on the inside thing that is generally just a fishing expedition. Although I do think that you're such a kind and thoughtful person that my previous half-baked and completely unqualified statement might have an element of truth to it. But not the fishing bit.

I can just imagine the ice queen covered in hundreds and thousands, smothered in monkeys blood with a flake sticking out of her head  ::)

Sorry.

Enjoyed this one a lot...top quality all-round!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »
Thanks all for listening and commenting! Feedback is much appreciated!

@jonlint thanks a mill for the detailed feedback. All will be considered when we’re tweaking.

@shadowfax - thanks a mill!!

@pompeyjazz thanks so much for the great comments!

@digger72 - ha! Mindie it is then! Thanks a mill!!

@PaulyX  - disco, eh?! Well I guess we’ve done that before so.... why not revisit! Thanks for the lovely comments!

@montydog agree the strings are fab as is the production. Hmmm I don’t hear the pitchy bits - must be my ears!!  I’d really love if you could point them to me so we can swap them out...

@MichaelA .. ABBA? Not laughing as I LOVE them!! So even a hint of a comparison is a thrill.. And yeah, I really am an Ice Queen :-)! Thanks a mill for the comments!!

@Jamie - yeah I don’t hide that Irish accent for sure! Thanks so much!!

@Grubstar thank you kindly - lovely comments!

@PaulAds interesting comments on the lyrics... as it’s not about me I can say what I want. I guess the person who triggered this has had her confidence severely eroded and this is what I want her to do/say to the ^%#*#% who’s causing that!! Maybe I’m not so nice at all!! Even with a flake sticking out of my head :-). Thanks a mill for the comments!!

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
Hey,you two.

This is something quite different for you both,pushing the envelope yeah?

The dark lyrics contrast starkly with the upbeat backdrop,but I'm twisted enough to dig that trait.

It's intriguing to hear your voice in this context Karen,there's a mix of Kate Bush and Bjork all tempered with your own individual style. It's a song I need a few plays to totally warm to,but that in itself can be the sign of a song which will age well. A slow burner.

The first couple of plays told my ears the verse melody was stronger,more memorable than the chorus,but again after more listens I persuaded myself,it's a good thing to shake up a format and do things slightly unexpected. There is no one more guilty of hammering a hook to death than myself!

A very enjoyable and enigmatic recording. Thanks for sharing Johan and Karen.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
@MonnoDB - Whato you two, I'm with @digger72 - I didn't know what gaslighting is, but i do now, I love what Johan has done with it, I'm afraid I'm not sold on the and 'I'm serene' melody, just a personal thing. But the delivery the buildup and the M8 are all very clever and accomplished. Vocal delivery - top notch.

Production is very good, and as some others has said some real craft on getting those strings to do that, @Jambrains - great work man, and bringing in the rock gtrs, super idea.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
Thanks @cowparsleyman .. yep those strings are something else!! Gaslighting - not good! Thanks for the listen and the comments!

@Skub great to see you round these parts.. Well we have ventured into disco before and this probably isn't a million miles from that but yes, not quite our natural dark home and sure as you say, lyrics are still dark and twisted :) Thanks so much for your lovely comments.. nothing wrong with a slow burner as long as it burns! :)

Thanks both..

K