Updating my home studio - your experience needed!

• 33 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
Because I’d the Covid situation, my new gear is arriving spread over various weeks which leaves me with a question.

My Eris E5s should arrive on Wednesday, my condenser mic has arrived and is sitting on my desk frustrating me.  The problem is the interface.  I have a Line 6 Studio UX 1 and I’m replacing it with the Behringer 404hd but I’ve no idea when that will arrive.  So in the meantime, the UX1 doesn’t have phantom power So I can’t use the mic.  But the speaker outs of the UX1 just say analog out.  The Eris E5s take XLR, TRS or RCA.  I’m guessing that the UX1 analog outs are the equivalent of a TS guitar jack so wouldn’t work with the E5s.  Anyone know if that’s right?

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:37 PM »
@PeteS - i tried a couple if times to get a definitive answer for you but the line6 specs were flakey....

Pete, you might want to consider sometime in the future investing in very good cans... my preference is open back AKG Q701 they are superbly flat. and a sound stage to Dream for. I hardly use my mid field monitors. Speakers and cans  can play tricks in what is actually going on frequency wise in a mix, so be prepared to find out the difference between the 2 listening environments.

There are other great open back cans available too.

The mic pres on the behringer are really good, but a valve pre will make em sound just great, not just good. But thats for the future.

I wish you well Pete , let me know when you are able to connect it all up.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
OK, It's all arrived! 

I now have the Eris E5 monitors which sound great, much easier to mix on, although a lot of my mixing will still be on cans so @cowparsleyman I'll be looking into the ones you have recommended.

The Behringer UMC404HD was so easy to set up.  As I'm on a Mac no drivers were needed and the USB power was sufficient so no external power needed.  I connected the speakers, headphones, an electric guitar and a mic and recorded two tracks in Garageband straight away.  Probably 10 minutes after breaking the seal on the box.  So easy to control headphone volume, speaker volume and mix volume all separately.  I'm loving how easy it is compared to the old UX1 I had. 

SE X1A Condenser Mic, only had a little play with it so far but it sounds great, looking forward to my next full recording.

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:09 PM »
@PeteS - Good to hear, enjoy and looking forward to hearing your thoughts of the difference. the SE offers fantastic value for money.

The behringer is a real find, never looked back on the Focusrite. You might invest in a pop filter (if you don't have one already)

Let me know if I can help any more,