konalavadome

Advice needed please.

• 21 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »
I have been using Reaper for 5 years now. $60 gets you the full version although you can download the full version for free and only pay for it if and when you want, although for me a week of evaluation persuaded me to buy the license. I also started off with Audacity and although it's a great freebie it has two big disadvantages to my mind. Firstly there is no midi facility and if you have never used midi I would say that it opens up a whole new world. Secondly in Audacity, if you apply an effect it's irreversible. Not good when you are experimenting. Which ever way you go you have to expect a learning curve but there are so many great tutorials out there on YouTube. Good luck  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Defo invest it gear / home studio.. I've been to studio with my mates a few times - it was great fun and an amazing experience.. I was dragged to the first session as two of my friends had a day-in-a-studio voucher.. so they dragged 3 others along.. Had never written a song and at the first session the gauntlet was thrown down - bring an original song each to the next session... that's how I started... Anyhow, I digress.. Now I've been writing and recording for a few years, there's no comparison. Being able to record when I've just written a song is the best feeling (of course, in reality, it takes time between writing and recording).. Anyway, in my opinion it's a much better investment putting it into gear etc.. I've never looked back ..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »
@5 guys named Lars

I am going to sound a note of caution before you rush out and buy loads of kit - as it is definitely a potential rabbit hole you are about to dive in to!

For full disclosure I have devoted a large part of my life (and money) investing in kit and training to be able to record, produce, mix and master from home using my own gear

However, this is not for everyone so before spending any money I would suggest asking yourself 2 key questions:

How often will you want to record?

What quality do you want from your recordings? Eg demo, radio ready, commercial release quality?

The reason I ask this is that although recording from home is an AWESOME hobby - it is not for everyone

I liken it to DIY - I HATE doing any kind of DIY home improvements. I know that I am a bit of a perfectionist so if I want something as simple as wall paper put up I would need to buy all of the equipment, learn how to do it, make loads of mistakes, take up a load of time doing it when I could have been something else I enjoy (or make money from), and the end result will likely end up a bit “amateurish” - especially the first few times

The plus side is that I may feel proud that I did it myself - but knowing me I would always spot the flaws

If I was decorating a room everyday then the investment in kit and time may be worth it - but IMHO life is too short so I would rather pay someone else to do it (properly) whilst I invest my time and money in other areas

This translates directly to home recording and production so please really think how professional you want something

There are other ways to get more “value” from recording

You could use the studio just for “tracking” - ie recording everything and then get someone else to produce, mix and master (or gradually learn to do this bit yourself)

The hardest bit of home recording is getting the good recording in the first place (depending on the instruments and type of music you are recording)

I am not being negative - just trying to balance the argument a little before you spend money and commit time to something but you don’t end up with the result you want
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
That sounds a fair balance @boydie.  I've never been near a studio but would like to compare the experience one day.  My kit is used to record anything from early demos to what I might consider the finished article since you guys are virtually the only people who are going to hear it  ;D.  I would like to hear someone else's professional production of one of my songs at some point though.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  :)
Oh bloody hell @Boydie !! Just when I thought I`d got it sorted you come along with another sensible & valid viewpoint. Got me thinking again what I`m in it for. I need a lie down with a bottle of sanatogen after this. The biggest problem challenge is I`m tight skint so can`t get too far down the rabbit hole.
I`ve got to get ideas & songs down on tape!? somehow & can`t wait 3 months till I`ve saved up again for a studio visit. As @cowparsleyman said..seen that,done it,spat it out,spewed it up again. But I do find the process of recording my songs frustrating & annoying mainly cos I`m a crap musician. At one point I thought about paying someone else to record the songs but again its money out da window.
I am going to take your advice Boydie & only start with the Behringer interface so I can try MIDI (is that right?),try the free reaper & watch a hell of a lot of YouTube videos.
I`ve got another new sophiscated plan...to win the lottery...no..plan 1 first..do the lottery.  :D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
For what it's worth I started with:
- Reaper €60;
- interface €100
- condenser mic: €50 ebay
- headphones for tracking: €30
- plugins: all free
- pop-filter, stands and cables maybe €60
Total: <€300

(also check out this guy's recommendations for a $350 home studio - https://www.recordingrevolution.com/build-a-350-home-recording-studio/)

Since then I have added a second mic, some studio speakers, midi-keyboard and some better headphones so about €500 extra in total and not looking to spend more (ever really).

And none of the above is the reason my mixes are bad.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
I started with exactly the same Adam and like you apart from a midi keyboard and some monitors haven't needed anything else although I did order one of those SE X1A mics after being persuaded by some other forumites. My current condenser mic is a cheapo £20 quid e-bay purchase so will be interesting to hear the difference :)