konalavadome

Building a guitar.

• 34 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
Considering having a go at it, I've seen guitar kits where you assemble it yourself..is this the way it's done? any advice would be greatly appreciated..ta!! ;D

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »
I can help with this. I built my first guitar when I was seven so I could practice being on Top of the Pops in front of a mirror.

First off you will need an empty packet of cornflakes. Second, a long cardboard tube. I recommend Turkey tin foil, as its tube will give you the length you need. Then sellotape the tube, which is now a fretboard, into one end of the cornflakes box, the guitar body.

That's it really. You can draw strings on with a felt pen. Mine sounded a bit like a Gibson Les Paul. But if you want a Fender Strat I've heard Cheerios boxes are better for that.

All the best and good luck with it  :D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »
I did a kit build a couple of years ago. My one piece of advice would be take your time and look at upgrading the pickups and bridge. If you want some decent advice though @Skub is yet man. I ended up with a playable instrument but probably not my go to guitar !

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
Hi john, I nearly bought a standard USA telecaster in the states a few years ago ,it was a demo in perfect condition and it was at a huge discount.i so regret not buying that. If you upgraded the pickups etc would it be a good comparable guitar?
Cheers
Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
Tbh @shadowfax the quality of that kit is not particularly top of the range but it is a fascinating project. If you do go for that one I would advise using some different screws as the ones supplied with the kit are made from a cheap alloy and several snapped. Also pre-drill all of the holes and put a dab of vaseline on them before securing. As I say, the finished article is perfectly playable though  I believe that there are some more quality kits available but for 90 quid this is interesting. Good place to start I guess.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice John, still thinkin about it,

@pompeyjazz
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
@shadowfax - Hi Kev, tried a few of these, there's a site called axesrus, they have some nice bits on there, also eBay is a good resource if you're willing to wait for deliveries from the USA.

I built my strat this way, after being totally unimpressed with Fender strats, played a lot, owned one, Squier are absolutely FANTASTIC, I have a Tele classic vibe 1950's, and it's one of my favourite axes...anyway back to the strat...

I bought a mighty mite maple neck, gibson width at the nut, 22 frets, ebony fretboard, for about 100 USD, shipped and got nabbed for customs, so that bumped it up to 120 GBP, but still way way cheaper than over here.

then on ebay I bought a quilted maple over a ash body - heavy as hell - for about another 100 USD, didn't get caught by the rozzers for that.

pickups were ebay Fender fat 50's for about 75 quid, the sperzel tuners - also ebay for about 40 quid, screws, switches, scratchplate, trem, bridge etc. axesrus, so a custom strat quite a saving, it sounds marvellous, and feels quality, but best of all it was a cinch to put together, everything fitted, no buzzing on the frets, just a bit of courage when it comes to drilling out holes for the tuners...

But in all honesty I would by a Squier classic vibe whatever you want, I've played strats and teles and they are very very good indeed, but you might need to swap out the pickups, which is a simple job.

As for my strat... I wouldn't swap it for any Fender.

When I was 15 I did try and build a guitar out of plywood, car filler and pine, spurred on by Brian May making his out of a mantlepiece, I think @MichaelA 's effort would be better...and maybe the actual mantelpiece before Brian and his Dad started wold have been more playable...

Hope this helps

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info my friend..I'm still looking and giving it a load of thought...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
@shadowfax

Here is another option for you...

I did my pro guitar tech course with James and had a fantastic times

https://www.guitartechcourses.com/product/guitar-building-course/

Whilst you could get a kit MUCH cheaper and throw it together I am a great believer in investing in education so you could do a proper course, and build your guitar, to learn how to do it properly and then have the skills to do another in the future, or even work on other people’s guitars to recoup the cost!

Luckily this was close enough for me to drive to for my course but many others on my course stayed at a local b&b if you wanted to make a proper trip of it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
@Boydie Thanks for that :) I'm afraid 999GBP (plus staying at a hotel during the course) is a bit steep considering I would not move on to working on other peeps guitars..I'd come out of it with a guitar but, I think if i was gonna spend that kinda money I could buy a lot of other music related stuff and a self build guitar :) albeit not as good as the guitar I would build during the course :) I'm a rubbish guitarist anyway ;D so a  good guitar would be wasted on me.. ;D I've recently sold my Fender strat and Fender jazz because I wasn't using them enough, my go to guitar turns out to be an Epiphone Les Paul standard, (the cheapest guitar I had) the others were just gathering dust in a cupboard, also recently sold my old Orange amp and speaker cab (also gathering dust)....the money went towards buying the Vocal booth...bit left over thankfully :) 8)

Best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
@shadowfax - That's another thing you could do, turn a real player of a cheap guitar into a very special sounding one.

One of the bands I was in used to practise over a music shop, and I was always in there playing whatever axes they had, and it was clear to me that some axes  played and felt just as good as more expensive brands, but they just sounded awful. (and beleive me I've played some awful gibsons and fenders, but some surprisingly lovely very cheap guitars, Epiphone SG special 1961 is another great axe. (I had a Gibson 1962 SG Special - and it plays and sounds (and hums) the same, honestly, just doesn't look as nice.) 

So one day I sat with a 1962 Gibson 335, a Tanglewood Chicago and a pocketful of cash (enough to buy either) and played them both for an hour and a half, and from a playing and construction perspective there was really no difference at all, but they sounded very very different, but having learnt how to replaced pickups, pots etc. I was confident that I could get the sound I wanted, so I went and bought the Tanglewood, called up Kent Armstrong and asked him what I needed, he said PAF's, he sent them and they sounded fantastic (changed the caps, the pots, the wiring etc. as they are usually rubbish ). That was over 15 years ago and I'm still very happy with it, don't regret it for a moment, yes Tanglewood quality isn't brilliant these days, and they certainly don't hold their value, but this one looked and played like a dream. (you can hear it on 'Dime for your shoes', and 'Superfunk77' - George Benson-ish bit near the end)

The other brand that was really very impressive was Tokai, I played a cherry 335 dot copy over 25 years ago and boy that was good.

@Boydie is right there's nothing quite being taught how to do it right, but there is something kinda satisfying in making a guitar that's made well sound like a millions dollars.

Hope this helps (did you swap out the pups on the Epi LP Kev?)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
@cowparsleyman ..Hi, buying a cheap guitar (already built) and replacing stuff on it to improve it sounds interesting and I've been looking at some cheapo's with that in mind,
never done this stuff before so forgive me for not knowing what pups are :o :-[ ;D probably something obvious but I'm a thicko in the guitar area..

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
@shadowfax

Pups = pick ups

Low quality guitars tend to use low quality woods and hardware but if you are not looking for a cherished player then you could have a lot of fun picking up some cheapies and mix and matching components

WD Music are a great place to have a browse

There is also a website that sells "seconds" bodies and necks etc. (The name escapes me so I will try to dig out a link later) which had some bargains when I last looked
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic