Hello, I'm back once again

• 4 Replies

Niels

• Busker
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I've been here.
I think the last time that I posted something was maybe in 2016?
So I guess that most of you don't remember me so I thought to introduce myself again :).

My name is Niels and I'm from Belgium.
As I think all of you I love to write and compose my own songs but I also write short stories.
For me a lot has happened in the few couple of years. I dropped out of college, went working, went back to college, met the love of my live and now we live happily together while still studying :).

In those years up till now I haven't written a lot of songs or even short stories.
At times it seemed like I would never write again. A sort of gigantic writersblock perhaps.
But very recently I found a renewed joy in writing songs and so I thought I would come back.
It's always nice to talk to like-minded people and I think I can learn a lot from you guys :).
Certainly when it comes down to singing, I don't think that I'm that great of singer.
But it's just for fun that I do it :).

If you have any questions for me, please ask away :).
I hope you are all doing well in these trying times.

Greetings,
Niels

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »
Welcome back, Niels. I wasn't around when you were.

I also used to write short stories but haven't in a long time. I keep telling myself I'll get back to them but it never happens!

Niels

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
Hey Sterix,

Nice to meet you :).
What kind of short stories did you write?

I know the feeling I had the same thing with songwriting and eventually I came back to it. Who knows what the future will hold for us :).

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror (despite me not being a big fan of the latter).

I keep telling myself I'll dig them out again some day and touch them up, maybe finish off some of the ones I never got around to finishing. I actually tried to write a fantasy book about 20 years ago that I created a map for anda whole back story, but I started getting a load of annoying ideas in my head that kept getting in my way so I took a break and started putting them to pen and paper. Suppose I should try to get back to that book one day too. I had it all plotted out ready.

I'm just not patient enough I guess. Plus, the writing lyrics always takes over my life. :P

What stories do you write?

Niels

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
oh wow, it's so funny. I write in those same genres  :D :D :D.
I mostly write fantasy and horror. I wasn't big fan of sci-fi. I only liked dystopias :).
To be honest my stories are heavily influenced by fairy tales and are mostly very light on the fantastical elements.
I'm not a big fan of the big fantasy epic although if they are very well written it can be fun to read them.

Writing definitely isn't easy, certainly not if you're writing a novel. I did publish 20 short stories in small dutch magazines. It always was a lot of work the write and rewrite those stories but it also was and still is a lot of fun. I think nothing that's worthwhile to put your time in will be easy. That's just part of the fun.

Having said that I understand that you took a break from writing your novel. It can be tedious work sometimes. But maybe someday you will take back that pen up and finish your novel. Who know what the future may hold for us :).