konalavadome

Any tips for recording piano in piece?

• 35 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
Okay, guys...it WAS the driver (sorry @Boydie !) I wouldn't have believed it, because plugging directly into the computer (bypassing the interface completely) had NOT helped. ???

I knew I was looking for the audio interface in Reaper, but it was not there. Nothing was there. There were simply no devices on the list at all. Now that I've installed the driver, there are two devices on the list. One is...I don't know what, but must have something to do with the interface. The other one is obviously the interface, so I selected it. And when I play the keyboard now....TA-DA!...it is recorded on a MIDI track. I am so excited. I had reached the point of assuming there was something basic wrong with my keyboard or something.

I decided to try channel 4 before resorting to all channels, and...it worked. I am nearly giddy. Thank you a million times to everybody who chimed in trying to help me with this. Our forum is so awesome!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »
That's brilliant @CaliaMoko Vicki - I was just about to do some more research for you and I saw your post  :) :) :)

Happy midi  :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
@CaliaMoko

That is amazing news  ;D

I was referring to not needing the keyboard driver - I thought you had already installed the audio interface!?!?!?

If you were not using the correct drivers you may also get improved audio performance now as well

MIDI can be so tricky to set up so I am glad you have got over this hurdle

The next problem will be the MIDI on one track triggering a virtual instrument on a different track  ::) ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:34 PM »
@Boydie @CaliaMoko I've never had any issues with Reaper doing that so hopefully things should run a bit smoother. Just a tip Vicki, Choose "Insert Virtual Instrument On New Track" option, choose your instrument and then Reaper will create a new track which is record armed, ready for you to play  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 06:29:40 PM »
...I thought you had already installed the audio interface!?!?!?
#smfpackscodeBoydie  I thought so too. It failed to install properly when I plugged it in and apparently the computer did not see fit to call my attention to this detail. As I was getting sound on the tracks when I recorded, I wasn't aware of the failure. I've only had this computer a month, maybe, so not much time to discover problems yet.

The next problem will be the MIDI on one track triggering a virtual instrument on a different track  ::) ;)
??? I don't think I want to know what you mean....not today, anyway.

...I've never had any issues with Reaper doing that so hopefully things should run a bit smoother. Just a tip Vicki, Choose "Insert Virtual Instrument On New Track" option, choose your instrument and then Reaper will create a new track which is record armed, ready for you to play  :)
#smfpackscodepompeyjazz  Ah, a shortcut. I did one track already, backwards. So when I got done, there was no sound, which reminded me to add an instrument to the track. Now I've been fixing mistakes. I have learned how to adjust the volume which, I also learned (I may have known this once before, a long time ago) is "velocity".

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »
Ack! What happened to the @codes???