Any tips for recording piano in piece?

• 35 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:28 AM »
Thanks @Boydie ! I checked both the keyboard and interface and they have the ports. I was hoping for a USB connection, but the keyboard doesn't have one, which is why I have to wait until I get a midi cable. And, actually, I just went and looked--the interface doesn't have a USB port either, except for the one to connect to the computer. So I'm doubly stuck with midi. That's okay. I'll finally get to use those midi cables I bought so many years ago. If I can find them.  ::) :P

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
I've recorded piano parts with a jack (guitar cable) as that was the only connection available. It's not midi so it's just sound but has no background noise and has worked fine for me when needed.

In the meantime, I am sure the clickiness can definitely be eliminated if audio is the only way you have for now...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks, Adam. That's the connection I have now. I do like that I can record directly with no background noise. I suppose joining the pieces smoothly is a skill I just need to learn. I'll keep practicing.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
Still working on this. I have my midi cables now. In fact, I have two kinds. One is just one cable with a midi plug at each end. The other has two midi plugs at one end and USB plug at the other end.

I have had no luck with either one. I am probably not configuring something correctly, but I don't know what. The single midi cable has no indications marking either end as "in" or "out", so I assume they are interchangeable. The other one clearly states "plug this one into midi out" and "plug this one into midi in", so I don't think I can get them wrong. The USB end I plugged directly into the computer. Regardless of how I turn things on and off, plugin, unplug, plugin again, etc, I can't get the keyboard to show up in the list of midi inputs or outputs in Reaper's options.

So I plugged the single cable in--using midi out on the keyboard and midi in on the interface. No results. Just to cover all my bases, I reversed the plugins--midi in on the keyboard and midi out on the interface, but nothing from that, either.

There are settings for midi in Reaper's preferences but I didn't change any of them. I don't know what they mean and usually, default settings work for everything.

Any suggestions for what I missed? I read the manual for the keyboard, but it mostly just describes what midi is. There's a bit of direction on plugging in the cables, which I followed.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 09:06:22 AM »
@CaliaMoko - what make and model of keyboard is it, and what audio interface is it?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
The keyboard is a Roland EM-303.  The interface is a PreSonus AudioBox44VSL.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 02:30:32 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Have you tried going from the keyboard directly in to your computer via MIDI to USB. The keyboard I use currently doesn't go in to the interface, it goes directly in to the computer. Give that a try and load up your DAW and see if you're getting any signal. (But make sure your keyboard is on before you load up your DAW, otherwise it doesn't connect, at least for me)
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
@jacksimmons - Yes, I did try that. And I went back this morning and made sure I did it all in the right order and tried it again. No luck.

And @cowparsleyman - I forgot to tag you when I reported "The keyboard is a Roland EM-303.  The interface is a PreSonus AudioBox44VSL." So, just in case you didn't see it....

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
I have searched extensively online and can't anything helpful for the Roland EM-303 at all. It's too old, I suppose. The only contact information for the company is a telephone number (they have a form to fill out on their website, but it requires entering the model number which no longer exists, so it is rejected). I've found a Roland group on Yahoo!Groups and have applied to join. Maybe I'll have some luck there.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
According to the manual (http://www.midimanuals.com/manuals/roland/em-303/owners_manual/em-303_305_om.pdf) the receiving device (Reaper in your case) must be set to "listen" on midi channel 4. As far as I understand that is the channel used by your keyboard by default (which is weird) and I would guess Reaper has channel 1 and default (which makes more sense)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
Thanks! @Jambrains ! I read that page in the manual several times, but I sure missed that part. Now I just need to learn how to set Reaper to "listen" on channel 4, which should certainly be searchable. I found a Reaper forum and am asking questions there.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
@CaliaMoko

Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with Reaper to guide you through this in writing

My suggestion would be to stick with the single MIDI lead from MIDI OUT of keyboard to MIDI IN on the audio interface - this way you will avoid having to install any additional drivers or routing to take one potential difficulty out of the chain

When you have done this set a track up in Reaper and see if you can set up the MIDI channel as “OMNI”. This will mean it is listening on all MIDI channels

This does have the potential to cause issues later down the line - but it should be the quickest way to get you up and running

With this setup you should not be expecting to hear anything as MIDI is only data - so you need to set up a soft synth - but my suggestion would be to not worry about this until we confirm the MIDI data is getting in to the DAW and being recorded

When you have this set up and hit a key do you see any virtual lights flashing in the DAW in time with you hitting a key - there is usually an indicator to show the computer is receiving MIDI data - eg a small keyboard symbol with a red lights, possibly in the task bar on the bottom right near your clock

You could try arming and recording on to the MIDI track by hitting some keys to see if it records any data (probably shown as blocks in a “piano roll” type view)

I would suggest focusing on getting to this stage before introducing soft synths etc. - so the first  goal is NOT to hear anything but to see data is getting in to the DAW
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
@Boydie : I've actually tried most of that already, although I did go back through it to make sure I didn't miss anything. It doesn't seem to matter what I do ON the track itself UNTIL I've chosen a MIDI device, which--in Reaper--is done via the menu item: Options | Preferences | MIDI Device. Any MIDI devices connected to the computer are supposed to show up in that window. There is even a button to push to refresh the list. But it never shows up in the list, so I can't select it. I did try going directly to the track (multiple times actually) where I can choose the MIDI channels, but nothing is there and when I try playing keys, there is no reaction in Reaper.

I've had one response in the Reaper forum so far, but it said basically the same thing, so I answered that and am waiting for something more helpful. I'm not super hopeful, as I tried a different DAW (some free one, I can't remember right now) and it didn't work in that one, either. So, I'm beginning to think my 20+-year-old keyboard isn't compatible with DAWs? cables? something...anymore. Although, that doesn't seem logical. It's probably just me.

Anyway, thanks for trying; I do really appreciate it!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
@CaliaMoko Vicki, just a thought. Have you installed the driver software for your midi keyboard? It should be available online.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »
I've actually tried most of that already, although I did go back through it to make sure I didn't miss anything. It doesn't seem to matter what I do ON the track itself UNTIL I've chosen a MIDI device, which--in Reaper--is done via the menu item: Options | Preferences | MIDI Device. Any MIDI devices connected to the computer are supposed to show up in that window. There is even a button to push to refresh the list. But it never shows up in the list, so I can't select it.

You should not need device drivers If you are connecting the keyboard via MIDI cable to your AUDIO INTERFACE - the device you are looking for in REAPER is your AUDIO INTERFACE and not the keyboard itself

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic