konalavadome

Any tips for recording piano in piece?

• 35 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: April 11, 2020, 06:25:15 PM »
I'm trying to record a piano part, but I don't play well enough to keep going and do it all in one take. When I try to put pieces together, it makes clicky noises at the joined spots.

I'm using Reaper and running the sound directly into the PreSonus Audiobox from the headphones out jack on the keyboard.

I there a trick to this? Is it just a skill I don't have [yet]?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
@CaliaMoko - hi Vicki, hope you are well, sorry I missed your apartment open evening😎

Well, im Mr All thumbs Nd fingers when it comes to keys...my tip is to practice it as best you can before you record, then record it in MIDI then correct the mistakes in the midi editor...

Rgds

Rich

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
Oh, @cowparsleyman , I didn't even know you could do that--record in midi! I knew I could code it in composition software, export as midi and then import it, but that sounds, like, really dead. I'll have to try the recording in midi idea. Thanks!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
Hey @CaliaMoko - second what @cowparsleyman says if your keyboard supports it. What you end up should have what you play including the dynamics, which you can then tweak..... I have just started recording piano using mics but I didn’t comp so can’t help you there. Good luck!!

K

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 08:21:41 PM »
+1 to other comments about recording the MIDI

Don't forget though - MIDI is only "data" and doesn't produce any sound - you will need a device or "virtual instrument" to get sound from the MIDI data

However....

@CaliaMoko
To answer your question...

When I try to put pieces together, it makes clicky noises at the joined spots.

When you join separate audio clips together it is good practice to ALWAYS put a small "fade in" and "fade out" on each audio clip (most DAWs make this very easy - and some even automated the process). This prevents the "clicking" you describe
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 08:27:47 PM »
It takes a bit if getting used to Vicki, but once you’ve got it, it’s very handy, as one can move mistakes out of the way or add interesting notes, just don’t expect it to be quick.

Ask away if you have any questions...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 08:32:42 PM »
+1 with @Boydie .... also get used to trimming your audio recordings, theres a lot one can do to make them sound much better.

Also get used to punch in markers, this is when you play along and the daw switches on the recording for you “hands free” at a point you select, all you have to do is play... if you have a punch out marker it’ll turn the recording off as well, useful when you have a great take but has a couple of slip ups...

Hope this helps

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
@pompeyjazz : I kind of know the word "overdub", but I don't know what it means to "overdub the midi file". Although, if I try it, maybe it will be obvious....

@Boydie : Yes, Reaper does automatically do the fade in fade out thing and I tried changing the default settings, dragging the curves back and forth, but I am apparently so bad at the whole process--recording and fixing--that there are still extra noises in there. Perhaps I'm not patient enough. I will keep working at it. I haven't tried the midi thing yet but hope to before the day is over. If my keyboard will do it. I knew about adding sounds, as I've used midi files several times. But the way I've done it so far sounds too mechanical (programmed instead of played).

@cowparsleyman : I'm going to give it a shot shortly, if my keyboard knows how. Punch in markers! Huh! I always make a new track to record fixes and then cut and paste the fixed bit in the original track. I'll have to check on that punching process. Sounds like less work.

Thanks for all the responses! I've said it many times, and probably will many more--this is a wonderful place/resource!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 10:34:18 PM »
@pompeyjazz : Awesome! I'll quit trying to figure it out on my own then. Thanks a bunch!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
Oh, lots of good stuff in that video. He starts kind of in the middle, but I think I might be able to figure out how to get where he is at the beginning of his instructions. First, I must rearrange the music room, so I don't have to run back and forth so far between the keyboard and the computer.

There that's [mostly] done. You know, I figured out something. I use "getting ready" for an excuse not to actually get to the music stuff. Or "I have to wash dishes" or "I have to wash clothes", etc, etc, etc....

I am going to try this piano thing RIGHT NOW!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:37 PM »
Well, it didn't happen right then, but I've been working at it. But he starts the video after he has a midi keyboard installed somehow and ready to go. So far I've been striking out on that part. I got my VST installed. That was a challenge. Reaper only wanted to look in a path that did not exist. I finally made the path myself and now that part works, at least.

The next part is a challenge which I may finally have solved. I couldn't figure out to get the piano to record as anything other than sound. I thought maybe some magical process would work but, no, I actually need a midi cable. So I'm done until I can get one. I'm pretty sure I have two at home, so on our next trip home I'll pick them up. They're old. Years old. Has anything changed with midi in the last 20 years? Should I just buy new ones? Or just one? Why would I need more than one?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 12:19:33 AM »
MIDI cables haven't changed for years so I suspect you have the circular ones with pins

Just make sure you have the appropriate sockets on your keyboard and audio interface
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic