konalavadome

Fearless

• 31 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »
New one from me, finally - it's taken me an age for some reason... lots of half-finished projects but this one made it out the other side :) A simple 1+1, an ode to my younger daughter as she stretches her wings (she pointed out to me that I wrote one for my older daughter and therefore owed her one  ;D ;D) ...

My first time recording on a mic'd acoustic piano though (I normally record using midi).. much nicer playing experience but there's some noise on the piano tracks from pedal etc.. and the performance is the performance - no tweaking possible!!

As always, all feedback invited and welcome...

https://soundcloud.com/monnodb/fearless

All your life I've had my hand on your shoulder
To guide you on your way and catch your fall
And now you are that little bit older
I know it's time for you to walk alone

And I'll hold on tight as I let you go
I'll burst with pride but you'll never know
I'll play it cool, won't let it show
You're my fearless, independent soul

I remember the first time I held you
The months I'd waited couldn't have foretold
The feelings that overwhelmed me
You took my breath, you took my heart, you took my soul

And I'll hold on tight as I let you go
I'll burst with pride but you'll never know
I'll play it cool, won't let it show
You're my fearless, independent soul

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:57:24 AM »
The recording came out beautifully.
This has a real Delores O'Riordan vibe to it. I have to say that I honestly thought at 0:43 it would break into Stairway too! :P

The harmonies are gorgeous and the only thing I would suggest is to perhaps double the main vocal to thicken it out a bit and add some depth.
It might also be worth trying singing quietly really very close to the mic - to get a sort of close and personal 'whispering in your ear' type vibe.

I'd also love to see this beefed out with instruments on it too. If you ever want to do a collab and add guitars/bass/drums etc to this then I'd be happy to collab :) It'd make an awesome power rock ballad. 
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 08:59:57 PM »
Lovely song @MonnoDB and I love the real piano. The celtic harmonies are just amazing. Some lovely use of space. Something that I should learn ! A lovely ode to your daughter. I hope she likes it.

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Très jolie chanson, beautiful song, as a daugther's mother love the lyrics :), I enjoyed and  I'm going to listen another time :)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:10:05 AM »
Lovely song, almost haunting. I'm a sucker for a nice, gentle piano peice.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 08:15:51 AM »
I enjoyed this a lot @MonnoDB .Thank you. The recording sums up the song perfectly.Your daughter should be very proud.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 10:02:39 AM »
Lovely song for your daughter to take with her through life....recording sounded fine here, piano noises just add to the atmosphere , 8) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
@MonnoDB - Lovely Karen, I love the "hold on tight as I let you go" our daughter is about that age now, so it resonates with me. As for the piano, so nice to hear a real one, did you sing and play at the same time?

beautiful, thanks for this, perfect length too.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »
Gorgeous and all the better for the real piano. Simple, direct heartfelt lyrics. Free from cliche and the sort of song that can only be written from personal experience. A lovely thing indeed.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »
@MonnoDB
Hi Karen, loved the chord structures some nice 'odd' ones in there too! Beautiful singing.Loved it! I think it's better for solo piano accompaniment. You could add strings maybe but.....

Great song

Cheers
Jamie

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
'Fearless, independent' , yep that was my impression of many of the Dublin women I met when I worked there for a stint a few years back. So it is great that you have brought your daughter up Karen to follow in this feisty and fine tradition.

It's a kind of personal song that we as outsiders are privileged to hear, our special secret peek into an inner sanctum. I wrote a song for my son when he left home for university a few years back. It wasn't half as lovely as this. Lovely sentiment and such a pure song, it will surely live on in her memory forever.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
This is fabulous.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
@MonnoDB

I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said on your cloud Karen,because this left me realising sometimes words aren't enough.

This is a textbook example of what music means,the emotion the passion all serve the song. Outstanding in any company Karen,thank you for sharing.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:25 PM »
This is just beautiful. I love the piano. I need to practice (I hear myself saying that a lot...).

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 11:29:59 PM »
lovely! really feel the emotion come thru, lyrics are beautiful and it sounds great!