• 3 Replies

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »
Hi all,
Another plug in question,

I have the slate All access pass which run its auth on the online iLok system, When its working its great, but, lose the net connection and you are screwed, I know you can get a iLok dongle.

Do a lot of you guys just buy outright or is anyone else in the subs game.

Also some plugins carry a very high price tag, are they really worth say £400 for a plug in when your complete DAW which has many years research doesnt cost that.

Another thing thats been buzzing around in my head.

Any thoughts?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:27:32 PM »
@Cawproductions  - I use an iLok 3 dongle, works a like a dream. I always buy outright, never been tempted by subs, as it's a way to lock one into a brand, I like to have the flexibility of 'best of breed' for example the plug I bought the iLok for was the Lexicon native MPX, I actually had the  lexicon mpx1 as an outboard unit, but wanted the flexibility of a plugin, so I sold the unit on the Bay and haven't look back, some manufacturers demand an iLok and when they do I'm ready (Eventide for example).

Occasionally a quality brand will have a bonkers sale and I fell more able to fork out for that if I know I'm not going to be paying huge bucks over a few years.

Has no issues, with the iLok, Waves however are a pain in the **** they only allow 1 migration of licenses to a USB stick per year, and then that didn't work particularly well, pretty cheesed off with them, although many of their plugs are really good even though they look a tad old in the tooth, and do tend to hog CPU.

I hOI've stopped my relationship with Waves and moved over to plugin alliance, their stuff is much leaner and re badged UAD so that's good, they have some really good deals from time to time, so I waited and bought what I needed when it came up as a deal, so much better than the subs.

Another reason I don't go for subs is that there is just too much choice, one feels obliged to try one of 20 mastering compressors because you've paid for them, less is more.

Yet another reason would be what happens at the end of your subs, do you lose all the plugs? can you edit old projects with those plugs in?

Also as far as I can remember Slate used to include Scuffham Amps in their Everything deal, but now they don't, so what do you do?

On the plus side from Plugin Alliance is that any new plgin is added to the bundle free of charge, but hey, I have nearly everything I need, and tend to invest now in instrument plugs (just bought the Ampeg VR emuation) rather than EQ's/comps etc.

anyhow, that's it from me....hope it helps

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
Hi Rich,
cool, I may move over to iLok 3 dongle soon, the auth server has gone down a few times and I am out of the game for the day...Usually my day off work too.,Grrr

I am with you ref Waves, They do some great plugs but heard about what happens when they force you to upgrade....I only have the Scepps onmi channel which I do like, but puts me off getting more, as they usually do some good deals.

The Slate AAP sub has tons of stuff and I agree, sometimes too much spoils creativity...
Although I do find myself using the same plugs time after time on mixes.

The guitar amp world now has THU overloud, quite good, But I have NI bundle with Guitar rig, Yeh its old but I keep using it on guitars and distortion vocals etc....cant help myself. Its like a well worn sea boot..

What does look good is the PA stuff, 24 bucks is a bit too much and like you say it has a LOT of plugs....

Anyhow, it wont take away the fact that the best plugins will always sound S**t on a S**t song and badly recorded material......Turd polishing etc.

Look out amazon, iLok coming through

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
@Cawproductions - Yeah, I fell foul of the Waves upgrade crap, I had an email saying that I pretty much had to upgrade, and cost me £175 which I didn't have, but i paid it in painic, later found out that I didn't need to have gone for, really shabby pressure selling, and really put me off them, however the support which was included in the upgrade was very good, but not worth the wallop.

The plugs I would really recommend from Waves are:

CLA 2a - My goto LVox Comp, just does the business.
Scheps 73 - lovely channel strip
Abbey Road Collection - all are good (Pompeyjazz put me onto those)
L3 Ultra maximiser - simply limiter, looks crap but really is a gem, use sparingly
Rennaisance Bass - better than many at adding sub bass
SSL Comp - Excellent master buss comp (Boydie put me onto that one, although I do use whichever one suits the track now - PA Townhouse comp or Shadow Hills are both very good)
PRS Guitar sim - blimmin great, a million miles from the GTR3

Theres a quite a few others that are great but not important like Brauer Motion etc. H Delay, Doppler.

I really love the Soundtoys 5 suite and I use some of those on every track, Echoboy and microshift are just superb (the plugin engineer from Eventide), they are clean, CPU lean and sound superb.

Hope this helps