Holly Golightly

• 20 Replies

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« on: April 04, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Hi everybody,
Posting a "new" song to give everyone a good laugh during the current "nastiness".
Wrote this last summer & started recording at a studio up the road before we got lockeddown a few weeks ago. Did some extra bits (with added bum notes) in my lounge with Audacity.
The song is finished but the recording isn`t.My mate Thomas played the fine lead guitar but the rest is me (including my vocal impression of an asthmatic chicken).
Its about falling in love with a songwriter & should sound more summery than it does.
Put it on Soundcloud yesterday & not even the Russian bots are listening to it so if you could that would be wonderful.
Any feedback on the song would be gratefully appreciated (should it be faster/slower? taller/smaller, better etc)
Many thanks & much love from barmy Denmark.
Chris.

https://soundcloud.com/theurbanmyths/holly-golightly

Holly Golightly
If I could make a deal with God, thats perfect.
Although hes quite an awkward sod its worth it, cos her eyes are full of multicoloured promises (though the boys all know the truth).
Holly Golightly, as good as she needs to be. Ever so slightly took my heart & very discreetly embedded her hooks in me.
Ever so sweetly she goes on & on.
Far away is far enough..its tragic.Shes just a girl who can`t say yes..fantastic and her songs are filled with nicely crafted metaphors (but that still don`t make them true).
Holly Golightly, its love as its meant to be. Call it unsightly but its ours.
To paraphrase Gandhi "where there is love we`ll be" which is all very handy but its hard.
She says that "ornamental pearls look good on fake & plastic girls" and though its just a joke she still believes it.
Holly Golightly its love as its meant to be ...etc etc.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:27:32 PM by 5 guys named Lars »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
This is super..just super!! 8) :) makes you smile all the way through those fab lyrics...great work!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »
Top entertainment all the way through. The vocal is suitably unpolished, perfect for this kind of song, and the instruments and arrangement all set up for a jolly quirky journey. Clever rhymes and intelligent lyrics, really enjoyed everything about it.  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
Hi, loved this, it brought back images of the Bonzo Dog Band and The Kinks. It has a 60's quality to it in a nostalgic way.Great writing, playing, lyrics and singing.
Very good indeed.

Cheers
Jamie

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
Awww... I totally loved this.  The chorus in particular is sublime - a total ray of sunshine.  I'm really impressed by the way it goes down in pitch in the chorus, not up, but is still uplifting.  Can I nick that technique off you?  I loved it.  There are some killer lines in the lyrics too - "Just a girl who can't say yes...", that's great.  Reading the lyrics beforehand I couldn't imagine how this was going to scan - I feared it might be a naff rap, but actually it works brilliantly.  It definitely has a 60s flavour to it... Beatlesy or Zombies... and there's a strong whiff of XTC about it too - these are all big ticks for me.  As for your muse, I don't know her stuff apart from the track she sang with the White Stripes, but this track will make me check out some of her catalogue.  Really impressive track mate, one of my faves on the forum recently.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
This is awesome...don't polish it *too* much. I absolutely love the rhyme scheme. it's quite clever.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:38 AM »
There should be more songs about falling in love with songwriters!!!! What a lovely jaunty song - it totally put a smile on my face.. perfect antidote for the current heavy reality we're living through... Lovely 60s vibe to it.. To your questions - not too slow or fast, tall or small.. just right I'd say! I just love the lyrics.. way to many gems to pick one!

Just fab @5 guys named Lars !!

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:25:32 AM »
Thank you for listening and thanks for all the lovely comments. If I had any money the cheques would be in the post. It's lucky we're not let out of the house cos my head would be too big to get through the door.
Thought it sounded quite 60's so came up with Holly Golightly who I thought was a Bond girl but turned out to be a character played by Audrey Hepburn in a 60's film. Only found out last week that there was a singer called Holly Golightly too so will have to give her a listen to see if she's done a song called "5 guys named Lars".  ;D
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:27:11 AM by 5 guys named Lars »

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 02:59:03 AM »
It was mentioned already but it definitely conjours images of Neil Innnes/Bonzo's/The Kinks. PErhaps something like Village Green Preservation Society.
Awesome work, I smiled all the way through, and you've nailed the recording!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »
Loved this! I secretly wanted this to be your bond song but the result totally  compensated for that! If this came up on a 60s compilation album (or Spotify playlist “made for me”) I wouldn’t think twice (except to Google the group and find more of their songs).

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 08:52:44 PM »
This is great guys. Reminded me of something that The Kinks might have knocked out late 60's Catchy lyrics and infectious little tune and I love the little guitar licks that jump out from all over the place. I personally wouldn't change this too much as it has a wonderful fresh innocent feel to it.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 08:10:01 AM »
@pompeyjazz @adamfarr @David Christy Jones Thanks for all the kind words.

@adamfarr Daniel Craig will be on his pension by the time I finish my Bond song. :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:55:14 AM by 5 guys named Lars »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 08:06:26 PM »
Yeah...i loved this too. Great lyrics and super jaunty.

Love the Ena Sharples avatar too...from the golden era of the street...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »
Nice, fun lyrics to match the fun tune.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
Hi,
Lovely pop tune guys.
Just does what it needs to and it just seeps into the brain like all classy tunes should.
Love the insistent innocence of it all
Catchy as hell
:-) :-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..