Looking for Love (collab with Boydie, CaliaMoko and jacksimmons)

• 14 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: April 04, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
Performed and mixed by @Boydie
Vocals by @CaliaMoko and @jacksimmons
Original music and lyrics by myself.

Thank you to Boydie for doing this for me (and getting me into my wife's good books as well as her affections! :D ) and to Jack and Calia for putting their voices to it. I've created a basic lyric video to go with it which you can see >>> HERE <<<

BOY:
Someone was calling
From the edge of my dreams
I ignored all the warnings
As I jumped with both feet
Into the deepest end
Of the sea of love

GIRL:
Found myself falling
For the very first time
And I just couldn't ignore it
Couldn't run, couldn't hide
I never stood a chance
It only took one look

BOTH:
Cupid has taken aim
He's set my heart aflame

BOY:
What can I do?
All my defences are breached
And now I'm reaching for you
Though I can hardly believe
That you could feel the same
Way that I feel for you

GIRL:
Isn't strange how
Everything becomes clear?
I guess it must have been Fate who
Brought the both of us here
And bound our hearts in chains
Forever me and you

BOTH:
Something is calling me
(Calling me)
Is this our destiny?

BOY:
Sometimes it seems
That if you just close your eyes
And you believe in your dreams
They will come true every time
It's like a fairy tale
You are my dream-come-true

GIRL:
Looking for love
Is just a matter of time
And you should never give up
There's someone waiting in line
To take your very soul
And be a part of you

BOTH:
I looked into your eyes
I saw the love inside
What am I waiting for?
Be mine for ever more
I'd almost given up
On looking out for love
I've found someone to love
I've found someone to love...

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
This is a beautiful little love song! Well written lyrics @Sterix :) And fabulous vocal performances from both Jack and Vicki, and it is put together brilliantly! Well done guys! :) 

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
Yeah enjoyed this. Cute song. Very well put together. Really like the percussion and the production in general. Vocals top notch as you would expect. It doesn't offer any real surprises, but that's fine as sometimes in life you don't want any more surprises.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
Very nice collaboration, well sung - sounds like a song from musical theatre. I did think the arrangement needed a bit more variety between verse and chorus. That said, the song ticks along very nicely and leaves a good feeling behind after it is done. Love songs with a pure and slightly innocent sentiment seem to be a dying species, and the world needs more of this kind of thing right now. Very nice indeed!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi all, a very nice collaboration ,nicely put together ,performed and produced. Not really my sort of thing, but I can appreciate the work and skill that has gone into this. When I was listening to it and reading the lyrics I felt that lyric could be put to a doo wap style and carried off nicely!
Good work guys

Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »
Wow ! The forum seems have gone into overdrive just recently. I'm having trouble keeping up. Cute poppy collaboration guys. Think that the dual vocals work well and I like the live sounding drums. it's interesting how different peoples voices sound different with a different producer working their take on things. Fab work all of you  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
I love the story behind this @Sterix - it’s a sweet and lovely song and it’s beautifully  performed and produced!!

@CaliaMoko  and @Jack Simmons your voices blend really well - actually you have very similar tones or am I imagining that?!?!

Very catchy - I just loved this - nice one all!!!

And Vicki I LOVE how you sing ‘heart in chains’!!! 😍

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »
@MonnoDB -- Thank you muchly! The pitch is at the low end of my range (but *out* of my range if I try to go an octave higher) and, yes, I noticed I can only tell the difference between our voices because I know there's two of us. Then, of course, I had to go listen to "heart in chains"...and, it must be karma, because I thought I "fixed" that...

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
Very fun melodic tune! well written and you both really do sound so well together,
nicely done by all!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:17 PM »
@CaliaMoko  - Vicki - yes I also had to check - it's uncanny! :)

I'm so glad you didn't 'fix' that - it's lovely!

K

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Hey, that's a sweet song... there must be a backstory behind this collab... I'll go looking for it on the forum boards.  But anyway without reading that, I thought it was a very smoothly produced and well sung track.  As Karen has said the two voices are uncannily similar in timbre; you can just about tell it is two different people but might easily not notice!  So that in itself lent the track something special. I did think it had great verses and pre-choruses but expected the chorus to come in after "Is this our destiny?" and take it to new places - a rewrite inserting something soaring there would take this to another level, from the already strong foundations it has.
It's all too beautiful.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »
Hey, that's a sweet song... there must be a backstory behind this collab... I'll go looking for it on the forum boards.  But anyway without reading that, I thought it was a very smoothly produced and well sung track.  As Karen has said the two voices are uncannily similar in timbre; you can just about tell it is two different people but might easily not notice!  So that in itself lent the track something special. I did think it had great verses and pre-choruses but expected the chorus to come in after "Is this our destiny?" and take it to new places - a rewrite inserting something soaring there would take this to another level, from the already strong foundations it has.
The backstory is that I wrote this in the mid 90s as a duet for me and my wife. I could actually play it (badly!) on my synthesizer and we ended up making a live recording by taping it on an C90 cassette (I'm sure at least some people here remember those! :P ).

It wasn't brilliant but it was us and we liked it (even if she did improvise somewhat - something that Calia very wonderfully reproduced for me, which is why you get the "calling me" echo in one of the choruses. I was actually quite cross with my wife when she did that but came to like it in the end).

Unfortunately down the years that tape got misplaced (probably when moving sometime) and lost to history. And my keyboard, erm, "skills" have deteriorated to the point I would struggle to try playing it again myself. I also lost the original lyrics and had to rewrite them from memory several years back.

Anyway, Boydie, Calia and Jack all agreed to recreate the song so I could play it to my wife.

It's nowhere near my best writing (I've tried to rewrite the lyrics a few times over the recent years but keep coming back to near enough the original ones) but they mean a lot to me so they're some of my favourite lyrics.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
A thing of loveliness! Jack and Vicki's vocals really shining. Very nice understated arrangement and backing from Boydie too.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
absolutely superb, I would have never have thought of that collab, a super song @Sterix - I would maybe space some of the instruments out a little in the Stereo field, but that's just picking of the nits, just sounds a bit busy in the centre ground...

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »
This is rather awesome. Vicki is the go-to female singer on the forum now! I liked the retro sound of the instrumentation that blended beautifully with the vocals. It has that sheen that Boydie brings to everything. The man is a legend. One of the very few songs on here where the melody doesn't leave you for ages. I loved it. No nits.

M