konalavadome

A Cut Above (New James Bond Theme)

• 21 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 31, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »
Here it is - warts and all. But it was nice to get my mind off this damn pandemic :D
Any comments - good bad and indifferent are welcomed:

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/a-cut-above

A Cut Above

I've seen love take it slow
I've seen love do-si-do
I've seen love fade away
I've seen love outstay its stay
I've seen love work a charm
I've seen love doing harm
I've seen love make me sad
I've seen love drive me mad

But our love is a cut above.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:30:38 AM by Paulski »

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
Hi
This was not what I was expecting,I was totally blown away with how good and original this track is. Loved the little piano motif at the start and the modern jazz bass and drums backing.Also great guitar lines and tone and your singing, reminiscent of Neil Young, is very effective  as are the minimalist lyrics that really work. Not sure where James Bond comes into this but I would certainly pay good money to see the film that had a theme like this.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
totally agree with grubstar

love the bounce of the track .. (reminds of west coast early steve miller 9 minute jobs..) but in a very good way
vocals real srong, free and full of soul..
i was  'jumpy around' for sure ..perfect track in this lockdown world
knock out !
have they changed your medication paul !?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:39:52 PM »
Well cor blimey, guv'nor as the artist formerly known as Prince Harry might have said whilst trying to pass himself of as an ordinary geezer during his curiously brief stay in your country.

This is fantastic. Hearing it was like feeling that the world had turned upside down briefly...like that time when we were at school and Chris Ibbotson chinned one of the other lads during a football game...and the lads father came down to remonstrate with him and Chris chinned him too.

Big and bold and ballsy too. Excellent!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
Crikey... never heard a Paulski track quite like this!  I think you've found a fascinating new prog rock / indie direction sir!  You must mine that seam further, as this is really rather excellent.  Totally unexpected.  Is that you on the guitars? They sound cool. Ya know, in some ways I'd have thought yours would be the most cinematic and 'show tuney' of all of us, but you've turned in a real left-field winner here.
It's all too beautiful.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »
Paulski,

What has happened?
Complete change of direction - loving it.

This is brill. 60s, indie, psychedelia, B-52s.

Works totally as a non-Bond song.

Look forward to hearing more in this vein.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
Wow Paulski! Drama or what? That bass and guitar really give this a dark and dangerous feel. If the 1960s Who did Bond themes that might be something akin to this...

I'd change "make me glad" in the final line - a bit cheesy for me. Maybe something like "drive men mad" etc could add something?

But never mind, it's super spicy addition to this collection.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »
Wah ! What's happening here @Paulski - LOVE this one. Fabulous geetar riff, great dirtbag and vocals - Blew me away this one. It's really different, creative and inventive  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
@Paulski

Hi Paul, or is it? I think I've fallen into a parallel Universe where everything is the opposite to current life. Theres good music in the charts, no covid 19, Donald Trump doesn't exist and Paul is rockin in a dark indie way........Brilliant, just brilliant ,loved it. Small but perfectly formed.

Excellent loving the new reality!

Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
Thanks guys - the 7/4 riff in this has been nagging my brain wanting to get out for a year now.
Glad to have it receive a warm reception - maybe I haven't gone mad after all  ;D

@Grubstar cheers for that. Happy to hear the Neil Young comment - he's a much wealthier Canadian than I am, but I'm not bitter  :D

@nooms thanks Nooms - yeah the new meds are really something!  :D :D

@PaulAds cheers Paul yeah I did kind of throw away the playbook on this - glad it worked for you  :D

@PaulyX Hi Paul yeah sometimes I can get by on my Les Paul and bass. Other times not so much  ;D thanks for the kind words

@digger72 I don't know what happened!  ;D I did promise myself to do more prog-rock this year though. Or at least my version of it.  ;D Thanks for the positive comments.

@adamfarr cheers Adam - I loved the Who (well except for some of their vocals  ;D) and you're right about that spot in the lyrics and I plan to remove the cheese next version  ;D

@pompeyjazz thanks John - when someone like you mentions "creative" I know I'm on the right track  :D

@Jamie cheers Jamie - what do you mean perfectly formed? It takes 3 mins to get to the hook!  ;D Seriously though knowing your prog-rock expertise your comments have humbled me to the core!  ;D

Hope I didn't miss anyone - if I did - thanks!
Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
@Paulski
Just realised I forgot to mention the time signature that was brilliant I’d counted out to a seven ,it I'm not clever enough to know if it was 7/4 or 7/8 :P.
I tried a 7/4 a couple of months ago, just couldn’t get anything good out of it. I’ll try again now you’ve inspired me!

Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 12:35:26 AM »
@Jamie yeah - go for it 7/4 !  ;D ;D
@adamfarr -  new version uploaded with the cheesy line removed. Thanks for pointing that out ;D

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 11:30:29 PM »
Neil Young revisited.
What a surprise this is.
Love the bass but then the whole thing is thrilling.
Top drawer.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »
Neil Young on "Live Rust" goes Bond via a change in medicinal regimen. He may be a richer Canadian but is he as good?

M

Loved it BTW

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
This is awesome, like everyone says. I have nothing new to add. I love it!