konalavadome

A Dime for your Shoes

• 14 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Part of my Genre Jumping Project.

This song was partly inspired by Donald Fagen and his "Morph The Cat/Sunken Condos" era.

It's about when you're both feeling in that twilight zone maybe after 6 years of being together, 'twixt happy and sad, inspired and bored, sexy and uninterested...So one of you breaks the cycle and says "OK, lets just go out for a walk in the City" suddenly you see things that you've always taken for granted, or not even noticed,  the subway, the shoe shine boys, the beauty of the skyline...

Everything is so alive. It happened to me in London when I was about 20, went out to South Kensington at about 2 in the morning, never forgot it.

Let me know if you had a similar experience...

Credits
cpm - All instruments, vocals, mixing, production and mastering
@PopTodd  - For the enthusiasm, best of luck man
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:54:43 AM by cowparsleyman »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
Brilliant soundscape...electric piano and funky-style guitar work together perfectly. I loved the muted trumpet. Captures the big city vibe perfectly. I used to love early evenings in Newcastle just after everyone had gone home from work and the city seemed to be catching its breath before the night got swinging.

Very classy.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
your very good at this atmospheric stuff intya! :) 8)  a very nice listen this was mate..very nice!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Scottishkev81

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
Relly love the jazz vibe from this.  can imagine a smokey room (before the smoking ban lol)

Wonderful atmosphere

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:10:22 AM »
Not huge into jazz but this is so atmospheric and melodic. Great choice of instruments. Captures a rare moment, or one that we only rarely get to notice.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
Loved the horns and sax (trumpet?) in this - are any of them real? Or software?  They sound pretty authentic.  It definitely feels like "New York" this one (not that I've spent much time there... but definitely got an east coast USA feeling off it, or how I imagine New York to feel anyway).  Vocal melody could maybe work a bit harder?  Or maybe the delivery of it could have a stronger identity?  I could imagine a Lou Reid or Iggy Pop style semi-spoken delivery with a lot of character as an alternative treatment.  Another trophy in your genre hopping suite though, man you can do ANY style.  (Still wish you'd give us a Bond theme... it'd be awesome...).
It's all too beautiful.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to say, the title is excellent.  One of those titles that means you just HAVE to listen to the track to find out what it is about.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:03 AM »
Loved the horns and sax (trumpet?) in this - are any of them real? Or software?  They sound pretty authentic.  It definitely feels like "New York" this one (not that I've spent much time there... but definitely got an east coast USA feeling off it, or how I imagine New York to feel anyway).  Vocal melody could maybe work a bit harder?  Or maybe the delivery of it could have a stronger identity?  I could imagine a Lou Reid or Iggy Pop style semi-spoken delivery with a lot of character as an alternative treatment.  Another trophy in your genre hopping suite though, man you can do ANY style.  (Still wish you'd give us a Bond theme... it'd be awesome...).

Morning @PaulyX - thanks for the reviews...and glad you dig.

I totally agree about the vocal line, i wanted something much stronger than that, but I just don’t have that gift, I’m certainly up for sending anyone a karaoke track if they want to lay their ideas down..just let me know.

The horns are from magix independence pro midi (i can recommend them) , and the muted trumpet is a splice sample, i did ask a couple of pals who play the trumpet if they wanted to do something but they didn’t have the time, I wanted a Miles Davis ‘Tutu’ vibe on that.

Glad i got the east coast , hot sticky/bitterly cold vibe across.

Have you heard morph the cat? It takes ages to get into it but i love it...

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »
Hi CPM
As a massive Donald Fagin and Steely Dan fan I absolutely appreciate and enjoyed what you have done with this superb track. Where to start; I loved the laid back feel to the vocals, the jazzy inflected chords, the bass and drums and the guitar licks and lead lines are sublime. Great production and arrangement and very convincing horns and trumpets.Brilliant!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »
@Grubstar - thanks for the listen and the review, glad it did the trick, with this one less is more, there was quite a lot gpoming on, especially the BVox, cowparsleydaughter hates the farfisa orgain tracking the 335 near the end, but heay, I love it.

As for the jazzy chords, I had no idea what they were on the Rhodes, but I kind of liked them, it all started with an F# minor 11th (which is a chord from Night by Night from the Pretzel Logic LP)...a bit recursive, yes but I like that.

The lead lines, keep em simple, what would Carlton do?

Anyway thanks, oh by the way, space was really important on this, Fagen is a master of putting space into songs, letting stuff breathe,as is Miles Davis.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:25 PM »
This is really great, I love the space in and separation in the mix and the way the bass
holds it all together. I definitely can hear the Fagan inspiration (its my fav era of his)
you captured the feel so well and it all sounds great man!!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
@cowparsleyman
Hi Rich, I love Steely Dan, and most of what Mr Fagan put out. The Nightly is one of my favourite albums. This vibe of this is perfect for the genre and the playing is sublime. Really enjoyed it, you are the genre jumping king or prince at least  ;)
Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:30 PM »
Hi CPM.

You got some sexy guitar work on the end of this dude, Groovey.

Seriously laid back, get this track on, feet up and open a beer.

Nice work.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »
Thanks all for the listens and reviews, so glad you all liked it...

@Bostonfan2 - Separation, who needs everything in the middle anyway? one doesn't see everything all in front of one, so why hear like this?

@Jamie - Thanks Man, I try, the music carries me, I'm only the chap that catches the inspiration, thats all. Thanks for the kind words. Don really inspires me -  I was dancing around the bathroom to 'New Frontier' this morning - how appropriate, those lyrics are kind of useful now...

@Cawproductions - Sexy, well I never? you should get out more  8)...oops well at least you can 'crack a beer' as the song says. The 'Tell em Phil sent you' was a pizza in the Deep Pan Pizza Company, in the '80's, Me and me mate would drive to Charing Cross Road and have one there, lovely it was, it had everything on it, great side salads too.

Glad you liked it....What's next? for my jumping, I honestly don't know, but I always love a groovy Dance track.

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Hey,
It's an excellent piece. The bass gives a groove that is well taken up by all the instruments and the interventions of the solo guitar, a bit jazzy, are a marvel. I felt comfortable in this track and you managed to recreate the atmosphere you talk about when you rediscover the beauty of life and feel good  :D
 Bravo!
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189