Table 9

• 18 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: March 22, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
Hi Folks,

I started writing this around 10 years ago but only got round to recording it a few days ago. It's about a man who,as a boy,is taken from his mother by the authorities because she is too young to keep him. He spends the next 20 years trying to find her.

I know this isn't my best ever song and it's too long and rambling but it has sentimental value to me and I wanted to share it with you. All comments greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to Vicki (CaliaMoko) for answering the call and supplying the mother's vocal part.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/table-9

I'd been searching for my whole life
In a hundred cold towns down the line
For the woman in my photo
Standing in the soft sunshine

She was sitting at table 9
At the end of a long decline
It was whisky she was drinking
To take the pain away
There was a sadness I could see
When she looked over and said to me
I had a boy just like you once
In a golden yesterday

Sun was shining
Songbirds flying
I was lying
With my child
Then the crying
Felt like dying
As he was taken
From my side

Now you tell me you are broken
20 years kept deep inside
But like the blackthorn through deep winter
A sweet smell is coming by and by

I took out my wallet showed her a picture
Faded by time, but the face was mine
It was a young boy and his mother
I'd found her at table 9

She said "you are my story sad to tell
A teenage mother's taste of hell
They said I was too young to keep you
It was best I heard them say

Twenty years later at table nine
We've come full circle,the ties still bind
My search is over my soul will stay
On this glorious summer day

If you feel like your chance has passed by
And your dreams have turned to stone
Just remember this true story
And your faith will take you home

Sun is shining
Songbirds flying
I am standing
Just like a child
No more crying
Now I'm smiling
I have my mother
By my side
I have my mother
By my side

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Alan,
We love Long lost families, my wife gets emotional too.
Anyway neat lyrics and story.
All sounding good, loving the pedal steel and vocals too.
:-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing a song that is so personal to you Alan. It has some nice lyrical touches but overall it doesn't quite get the job done for me, musically it seems a little flat too, I know it's not going to be a commercial song which is fine but I didn't really care about the people involved and so that's why it didn't do it quite for me. Geoff

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »
Hey Alan, sweet C&W infused song you've got here.  Your lyrics always have special characteristic touches... I like it when you reference nature to express stoicism & optimism against the passage of time... in this case the Blackthorn lines stood out for me (I still remember your Wild Garlic song well for similar reasons).  As you say, I would like to hear a 3-and-a-half minute version as it felt like by the latter verses the story is already told, but I was still happy to wallow in the warm pedal-steel-and-sweet-vocals hot tub you've created here for a bit longer.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:46:13 AM »
A song in the best tradition of country story-telling and speaking directly to the listener at the end. Some great lyrical touches (love those internal rhymes (whole-cold etc.). Love the key change as well.

Possibly there were a couple of verses that weren't as strong (She said... and Twenty years...) if you wanted to shorten it a little - but it's close to the heart then no reason to cut the story short - it's perhaps important to get a little of her perspective too.

That pedal steel with the organ sounds like an orchestra!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
@montydog - hi Alan, i really loved it, i would say it is one of your better songs, fantastic arrangement and superb vocals.. a joy to my ears, and yip a tad long

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
I really liked this. Super vocals and I always love to hear Vicki too!

Lyrics are lovely and it resonates really well...mostly, I think, because it's obvious that it's done with great care and thought.

I think, sometimes, that some things only really need to be said in a fairly simple way to tell the story. There are more than enough lyrical flourishes to show (if anyone didn't already know) what a very accomplished lyricist you are.

In the seemingly endless songwriting effort to re-invent the wheel...it's well worth remembering that something circular generally works best  :) and you make that point here, i reckon.

Lovely stuff.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Scottishkev81

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »
lovely 2 vocals and very good chords.

as a keyboard player i like the organ sound too

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »
@montydog
Hi Alan,
           You have story telling lyrics off to a tee. Not my favourite genre but your singing and guitar sounds drew me in. A very good C&W song, and well done to Vicki @CaliaMoko, for completing the story. I too thought it a bit long, but still very good.

Cheers
Jamie

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:30 AM »
Hey there Monty...................a great song.......loved the ending, loved the whole uplifting message. Some good recording and performing, as well.
Good stuff, man!!
Well done...........a hit!! 8)
                                          -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone who listened and took the trouble to give feedback. This was a project song for me and I am aware of it's limitations. I was quietly surprised by how well it went down.

Alan,
We love Long lost families, my wife gets emotional too.
Anyway neat lyrics and story.
All sounding good, loving the pedal steel and vocals too.
:-)
Neil

#NeilC  Thanks for the kind words.

Hey there Monty...................a great song.......loved the ending, loved the whole uplifting message. Some good recording and performing, as well.
Good stuff, man!!
Well done...........a hit!! 8)
                                          -Tom
#IronKnee Thanks Tom, means a lot coming from you.
@montydog
Hi Alan,
           You have story telling lyrics off to a tee. Not my favourite genre but your singing and guitar sounds drew me in. A very good C&W song, and well done to Vicki @CaliaMoko, for completing the story. I too thought it a bit long, but still very good.

Cheers
Jamie

#Jamie Yep, you're right; it is too long but I'm pleased you found something you liked. Vicki did a great job on the vocals.

lovely 2 vocals and very good chords.

as a keyboard player i like the organ sound too

#Scottishkev81 Thanks. It's a B3 organ played through the magic of Band In A Box.

I really liked this. Super vocals and I always love to hear Vicki too!

Lyrics are lovely and it resonates really well...mostly, I think, because it's obvious that it's done with great care and thought.

I think, sometimes, that some things only really need to be said in a fairly simple way to tell the story. There are more than enough lyrical flourishes to show (if anyone didn't already know) what a very accomplished lyricist you are.

In the seemingly endless songwriting effort to re-invent the wheel...it's well worth remembering that something circular generally works best  :) and you make that point here, i reckon.

Lovely stuff.
#PaulAds Lovely review as ever from you - Need you to write my album sleeve notes :-)

@montydog - hi Alan, i really loved it, i would say it is one of your better songs, fantastic arrangement and superb vocals.. a joy to my ears, and yip a tad long

#cowparsleyman . Glad you liked it despite the excessive length.

A song in the best tradition of country story-telling and speaking directly to the listener at the end. Some great lyrical touches (love those internal rhymes (whole-cold etc.). Love the key change as well.

Possibly there were a couple of verses that weren't as strong (She said... and Twenty years...) if you wanted to shorten it a little - but it's close to the heart then no reason to cut the story short - it's perhaps important to get a little of her perspective too.

That pedal steel with the organ sounds like an orchestra!

#adamfarr . Thanks for the comments. Pedal steel has to used sparingly - it gets old pretty quick.

Hey Alan, sweet C&W infused song you've got here.  Your lyrics always have special characteristic touches... I like it when you reference nature to express stoicism & optimism against the passage of time... in this case the Blackthorn lines stood out for me (I still remember your Wild Garlic song well for similar reasons).  As you say, I would like to hear a 3-and-a-half minute version as it felt like by the latter verses the story is already told, but I was still happy to wallow in the warm pedal-steel-and-sweet-vocals hot tub you've created here for a bit longer.
#PaulyX Glad you enjoyed the wallow in my musical hot tub!
Thanks for sharing a song that is so personal to you Alan. It has some nice lyrical touches but overall it doesn't quite get the job done for me, musically it seems a little flat too, I know it's not going to be a commercial song which is fine but I didn't really care about the people involved and so that's why it didn't do it quite for me. Geoff
#Geoff Sorry it didn't hit the spot for you, Geoff. Can't win 'em all :-)
Nice mellow vibe Alan. Lovely feel and super vocals from you both

#pompeyjazz Thank you. Mellow is good.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
Your usual level of proficiency.
This one isn't as ambitious as some of your others
Still it held my attention throughout
Heartwarming, somehow. Maybe the story telling makes it warming. 
I always stumble with mixing the vocals, you did a good job here.
Seemingly effortless.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:07:12 AM »
Well I never complain about length do I?
This has such a warm vibe to it, it's like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold Canadian spring day.
Lovely smooth vocals from both of you (you should collab more please)
And the pedal steel glues everything together beautifully.
Not one of your best? I beg to differ!  ;D ;D

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
@montydog

Warm and involving,tugging on the heartstrings.

That steel guitar.

Vocal duet with Vicki. I wanted harmonies,then there they were,you made me wait!

You may not consider the song to be your best ever,but hey what do you know anyway!  :P

Damn fine work Alan.  8)