• 23 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 06:18:05 PM »
really nice groove cpn.. nice mix & builds lovely
atmospheric like a live club with some sweat
have to admit i was waiting for a change to complete the journey but im happily still in the cab..
sounds great tho and brought to mind a donny hatherway live album with willie weeks from way back
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »
@nooms - Cheers for the listen, Yeah, I know what you mean, it's a bit 'idea-ish' rather than a proper song...maybe I do a remix one day....

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
...and by golly here's a remix, aren't Gorilla like Lonndon Busses, (master busses)

this is for @adamfarr - Hope you like it adam, it has more bottom than...Well in a pc world, it would for you to say, if it's OTT with bass and kick it's becasue I have properly gone though my monitoring process, but anyway let me know what you think.

the BVox line is now the LVox line, re EQ's, about 3 more drum tracks, removed the jungle storm, EQ's the LVox (it wasn't a Vertigo VSM3 - it was a lofi stem) added some width to the bass, plus a load of other stuff, omitted the shots at the end, remixed and changed the master buss comp etc. etc.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
I like it! Gives it (even) more personality! For anything dance related, drum and bass are queen and king of course. I think songs need to have a “thing” - some have lyrics, some have melody, but groove can definitely be that thing. (Of course great songs have more than one thing but that’s rare to find in the undergrowth...)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 03:02:36 AM »
@adamfarr - glad you dig...never thought about groove being a thing, but of course  you’re  spot on with that..womack and womack Tears....what a groove.

Thanks for taking the time to listen

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
Hi,

I'm with adamfarr on this. Some good bits and some aspects that I didn't like. Not a great fan of funk as a rule which doesn't help. I'm afraid this didn't really work for me.

Sorry

M

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
@montydog - That's cool, music is many things to many folk, thanks for the listen.

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
This is really up my street. Especially the drum sound. Has a feel of early Nine Inch Nails or something.
This just has such a unique quality to it that isn't quite like anything I've heard before. There are flavours from all different sources here. Obviously a big soul and funk influence at play too. The cowbell is tasteful as an addition too.
Really fascinating and inspiring work!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »
Yo CPM, I'm glad I caught this in time.  Loved it (both versions).  I could feel an affro sprouting on my head while listening to the sheer funkiness of it.  Others have mentioned "lack of hook" but you know, for this kind of vibe, the restraint in itself kinda felt like the hook to me.  It's too cool to be hooky, right?  Plays by its own slinky rules. The way that simple 2-chord guitar pattern comes in just now and again... you want it to come more often but it plays hard to get.  There's a whiff of Bowie's "Fame" about it... that also has a "refuse to try too hard" atmosphere going on.  The vocals sound great and I liked the piano part at the end.  Alongside "Young Americans" era Bowie I was getting a bit of Bassomatic from it, and also a bit of Erykah Badu.  And subject matter wise, who'd have thought Gorillas could be such funky MFs?
It's all too beautiful.